No announcement yet.

Thinking about bartending

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarriorSoul View Post
    This is not as easy as you think it is. Most states require you to have an Alcohol Server Certification, essentially a bartending license. There's this thing called liquor liability and most states (if not, all) require establishments serving alcohol to have liquor liability insurance. If I recall correctly, it is the responsibility of the establishment to report the experiences/certifications of each of their bartenders. This effects the premium the establishment has to pay, so most of the time your average bars don't just hire anyone that puts an application in. The only time I've seen a bar hire anyone without proper documented training is when that person knows someone very well at the establishment.

Additionally, it's a big plus in terms of insurance premiums when bars hire active duty police or military to do part time bar bartending.
    Yeah, I'm in Wisconsin and we have pretty much the most liberal laws in the world regarding alcohol consumption and drunk driving. To get a license here you just need to go to the town hall and pay a fee to get it. The only people who get turned down are multiple offense DUI people AFAIK. Also, you don't even technically need one you just need to be within 15 feet of someone who has one here. Most managers at bars/restaurants have one so the employees don't even need to get one really.

Comment

Working...
    X