No announcement yet.

Is Bruce Lee the Godfather of MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
    I dont believe bruce deserves much if any credit for the mixed martial arts we see today. Keep in kind, when ufc first came on the scene some 15-20 years ago, people were nowhere near as 'mixed' as they are today. It was more art vs art, boxer vs jiu jitsu, etc. Today, people are way more rounded with their skills, wih having both jiu jitsu/muay thai/wrestling/etc skills. I dont believe bruce gets credit for this, as people just learned/witnessed the hard way on what it takes to be a well rounded and better fighter.

This knowledge and revolution came well after bruce's time. Get bruce on the ground, and wtf is he gonna do?
    I would have to disagree with the first part of this. I remember the Martial Arts scene before the UFC came along very well and in reality the only thing that wasn't in place was a proper appreciation for grappling (but that was unquestionably a big deal) . If you bought an episode of Black Belt magazine in 90', 91', 92' it was all about finding out what works in a "realistic" encounter and it contained an awful lot of criticism of traditional Martial arts. As far as hand techniques were concerned , traditional Boxing was seen as the most realistic approach while high kicks were continually being bashed as unrealistically flashy (to the point that it was probably overdone). Muay Thai and Jeet Kune Do were extremely popular during this time. The real radical change that the UFC introduced was an appreciation for the importance of Grappling which really was mind blowing for the MA world which thought it could punch and kick it's way through anything.

Obviously Bruce wouldn't be able to handle himself if you took him off his feet because although he did have some training in grappling, it was miniscule by today's standard..
    Last edited by res; 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
      I would have to disagree with the first part of this. I remember the Martial Arts scene before the UFC came along very well and in reality the only thing that wasn't in place was a proper appreciation for grappling (but that was unquestionably a big deal) . If you bought an episode of Black Belt magazine in 90', 91', 92' it was all about finding out what works in a "realistic" encounter and it contained an awful lot of criticism of traditional Martial arts. As far as hand techniques were concerned , traditional Boxing was seen as the most realistic approach while high kicks were continually being bashed as unrealistically flashy (to the point that it was probably overdone). Muay Thai and Jeet Kune Do were extremely popular during this time. The real radical change that the UFC introduced was an appreciation for the importance of Grappling which really was mind blowing for the MA world which thought it could punch and kick it's way through anything.

Obviously Bruce wouldn't be able to handle himself if you took him off his feet because although he did have some training in grappling, it was miniscule by today's standard..
      I just dont believe bruce deserves much credit, or atleast credit of being the godfather of mma. If anything, royce gracie deserves just as much credit.

With that said, i think ufc deserves the most credit as far as revolutionizing mma. Before, it was only some's concern to become skilled and proficient in multiple arts, now its everybodies. A standup game and a ground game is a must. Before, most people only cared about training in one art, now everybody's focus is on training in multiple, muay thai and bjj for example.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        No, but he is the godfather of overrated ****s who win fantasy fights by landslides.

All this despite the fact that he was a glorified stuntman who never had a legitimate fight and ended up being, quite literally, KTFO'd by an asprin of all things.
        All you can do is judge someone by their era

Thats why some people are greater than others

What did bruce lee have in his era compared to what we have today...

Godfather I dont know but he definitely changed views on many things

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
          I just dont believe bruce deserves much credit, or atleast credit of being the godfather of mma. If anything, royce gracie deserves just as much credit.

With that said, i think ufc deserves the most credit as far as revolutionizing mma. Before, it was only some's concern to become skilled and proficient in multiple arts, now its everybodies. A standup game and a ground game is a must. Before, most people only cared about training in one art , now everybody's focus is on training in multiple, muay thai and bjj for example.
          Well as I explained, the emphasis on mixing striking styles was already on a speedy course with or without the UFC, but I can't at all see grappling assuming the position that it has without the UFC and the Gracies.
          Last edited by res; 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
            In order to determine that, you would have to know what technique he was applying wouldn't you? Those are not supposed to be Boxing punches. Those are slightly converted Wing Chun Kung Fu punches.
            I never said they were boxing punches.

If that's expert level Wing Chun punching then Wing Chung punching is sloppy as ****. He's literally jumping into punches there and not protecting himself whatsoever.

Comment

if my lady took an aspirin it would kill her as well.

jus' saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy Ho View Post
                if my lady took an aspirin it would kill her as well.

jus' saying.
                Then that poor woman must live in a constant state of pain with all the headaches your dumb ass gives her.

Comment

Then that poor woman must live in a constant state of pain with all the headaches your dumb ass gives her.
                  nah, she can take tylenol and it's all good homeboy.

Comment

That was supposed to be a brutal pwn in response to your brutal pwn of me in the bed bugs thread.

Stop trying to defuse my IEDs.

Comment

That was supposed to be a brutal pwn in response to your brutal pwn of me in the bed bugs thread.

Stop trying to defuse my IEDs.
                      i know. but my usual response would be to start cursing. i thought i'd take a different approach this time.

what is an IED?

Comment

Working...
                      X