No announcement yet.

Proof that God exists!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
    religion is about people just as much as a book if not more, kids learn by example, so like any one who dosnt really belive in god and isnt living their life religiously while presenting a christian god is going to cause the child to get mixed messages and see how the person lives and link that to being christian.

they end up either hating religion or just being a horrible christian.

religion shouldn't really be forced on any one it should always be an option, baptisim at birth is something i really dont agree with as it seems almost like forced membership at birth.

so like if your not interested in god or living how jesus lived, tell the kid theres no god. as far as school just explain to to the kid that regardless if there's a god or no god it is a good way to live your life or something, and let the kid continue going.

I appreciate your reply, but I think this may be the first time since I have been posting that I get emotionally involved with a topic, I was just having a little frustrated rant. So I am going to end my part in this conversation here.

Comment

so like if your not interested in god or living how jesus lived, tell the kid theres no god. as far as school just explain to to the kid that regardless if there's a god or no god it is a good way to live your life or something, and let the kid continue going.
      Not many people are interested in "living how Jesus lived" for several important reasons: Firstly apart from a few wacky stories about virgin births and schooling pharisees there is absolutely no information in the gospels about Jesus and the way he lived for his first 30 years. Then after he started preaching he was a transient and a radical.

Being religious is not necessarily a good way to live your life. If there's any message you want to give to your kids it's this: Treat other people the way you would want to be treated.

And no, that's not a christian ideal, it predates christianity by some centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        And no, that's not a christian ideal, it predates christianity by some centuries.
        regardless of who created it, it is a christian ideal.

Comment

regardless of who created it, it is a christian ideal.
          No it isn't. In the west it's a Greek philosophical ideal. In china and Japan it's a confucian ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            No it isn't. In the west it's a Greek philosophical ideal. In china and Japan it's a confucian ideal.
            it is in the bible:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule#Christianity
            "Do to no one what you yourself dislike."
            —Tobit 4:15

"Recognize that your neighbor feels as you do, and keep in mind your own dislikes."
            —Sirach 31:15

At the time of Hillel, an elder contemporary of Jesus of Nazareth, the negative form of the golden rule already must have been proverbial, perhaps because of Tobit 4:15. When asked to sum up the entire Torah concisely, he answered:

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."
            —Talmud, Shabbat 31a

Two passages in the New Testament quote Jesus of Nazareth espousing the golden rule:

Matthew 7:12

12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Luke 6:31

31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

A similar passage, a parallel to the Great Commandment, is Luke 10:25-28

25And one day an authority on the law stood up to put Jesus to the test. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to receive eternal life?”

26What is written in the Law?” Jesus replied. “How do you understand it?” 27He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your strength and with all your mind.’(Deuteronomy 6:5) And, ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ ”
            28“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do that, and you will live.”.

The passage in the book of Luke then continues with Jesus answering the question, "Who is my neighbor?", by telling the parable of the Good Samaritan, indicating that "your neighbour" is anyone in need.[44] Jesus' teaching, however, goes beyond the negative formulation of not doing what one would not like done to themselves, to the positive formulation of actively doing good to another that, if the situations were reversed, one would desire that the other would do for them. This formulation, as indicated in the parable of the Good Samaritan, emphasises the needs for positive action that brings benefit to another, not simply restraining oneself from negative activities that hurt another. Taken as a rule of judgement, both formulations of the golden rule, the negative and positive, are equally applicable.[45]

One passage in the Doctrine and Covenants quote Jesus a Revelation given through Joseph Smith. They are to love and serve the Lord and keep his commandments:

Doctrine and Covenants

5&65 Wherefore, I give unto them a commandment, saying thus: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength; and in the name of Jesus Christ thou shalt serve him. 6 Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Thou shalt not steal; neither commit adultery, nor kill, nor do anything like unto it.
            it is an ideal that chritianity holds.

Comment

Proof that god exists: 1.) Sully's mustache growing ability. 2.) Araamis new "babe rate" thread. 3.) Hot latina women. 4.) Boxing 5.) Surfing

Comment

Originally posted by *Boss Lady* View Post
                If prayer works, why are there so many children suffering?

Hopefully someone can answer that before I have to explain to my 7 year old why his best friend is in double kidney failure at 7 years old and being put on a transplant list next week.

Their teacher told them to pray about it. I chose to send my kids to Catholic school, I shouldn't have expect anything different than that, but it actually pissed me off.
                So you sent your children to a Catholic school despite being atheist? May i ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by *OG Wenger* View Post
                  So you sent your children to a Catholic school despite being atheist? May i ask why?
                  I'm not atheist. I am Catholic, I suppose it's an issue of faith for me at the minute. It's hard to continue to have faith when you see a small child suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by *Boss Lady* View Post
                    I'm not atheist. I am Catholic, I suppose it's an issue of faith for me at the minute. It's hard to continue to have faith when you see a small child suffering.
                    Oh sorry, i read it wrong. I understand what you're saying.

But remember it's always important to keep the faith, even in the darkest of hours.

Don't give up on the kid yet, i'm sure he has plenty of fight left in him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                      it is in the bible:

it is an ideal that chritianity holds.
                      So is the destruction of families and the turning of brother against brother.

Matthew 10

34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Comment

Working...
                      X