Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything more redundant and useless than a degree in Theology?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
    Im inclined to agree with Sully on this one. . .

A lot of people with theology degree (since that's the topic of the thread), like Sir Sullicus's friend or just religious people in general do A LOT of good. They devote their entire lives to helping others. . . Even if we may believe the foundation of these teachings of peace and love is misplaced, it's still making a difference by helping others. . .
    his dad works for the same agency working as a missonary, not teaching so much though. he goes to diffrent tribes and translates the bible into their language. so he goes over and has to learn the language then translate it, but you run into issues, like some tribes dont have a written language so he has to learn the language woirk with the tribe sometimes for years to write it down then translate it into their language. another issue is that theres stuff in the bible that they might have never seen so there is no word for it in their language so he has to figure out how to make it still convey the same point and make sense to the tribe.

but yeah this is kinda devoting their life to something that they feel is helping people, its alot different then volunteering a few weeks a year every year.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      what are you doing to help these people?

atleast religion teaches peace love and respect, thats alot more then your yearly 5$ donation does.

your comparining a chatrity to a job, you are failing on so many lvls.
      You just said that your friend is paid by whatever organisation sent him to Africa. Given that the point of the discussion is his theology degree then I assume his organisation is one that proselytises to the people it helps. Otherwise why send theologists to Senegal?

for my job i work night shift with computers, whats your job? what does your job do to help the starving people in africa? do you not hold your self to the same standards as my friend with the theology degree, or because he deals with religion you automatically assume he should be an infinatly better person then you?
      I think I would be much more impressed with religious charity if they would invest their resources into helping the needy without even mentioning their religion. As it stands religious charity always seems conditional on soul harvesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        You just said that your friend is paid by whatever organisation sent him to Africa. Given that the point of the discussion is his theology degree then I assume his organisation is one that proselytises to the people it helps. Otherwise why send theologists to Senegal?

I think I would be much more impressed with religious charity if they would invest their resources into helping the needy without even mentioning their religion. As it stands religious charity always seems conditional on soul harvesting.
        what is your job? this is my friends job, and he helps africans, what do you do for the africans at your job that you have any right to judge him, cause at my job i dont do **** for africans.

you seem to have problems grasping that this is a job and not somethint he does 2 weeks out of the year, what with your continual comparison of it to charity.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• I don't get the impression that Piggy has any problem grasping that concept.

At all, actually.

Comment

• Yes, there is something more useless.

IE: Working toward a 'degree' whilst spamming the Internet with 'ab shots' on an all male forum. I'm tempted to get my **** out 'cause you guys have to put up with that far too often. It will be my good deed for the year.

I was looking forward to this thread, with the likes of Reed, Bringer, Squeal, Jim Jefferies, hell even Sully is sounding somewhat literate in here; then I saw that.

What pictures of someone's stomach have to do with a degree in Theology are beyond me.

Comment

what is your job? this is my friends job, and he helps africans, what do you do for the africans at your job that you have any right to judge him, cause at my job i dont do **** for africans.
              My point is that theologists don't do shit for Africans either. I'm not telling you my job, but I work with Canadians in need of help.

you seem to have problems grasping that this is a job and not somethint he does 2 weeks out of the year, what with your continual comparison of it to charity.
              He's paid by some presumably religious organisation to proselytize to people who need actual physical help. Charity is preferable to someone who earns a living selling myths to the needy.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                My point is that theologists don't do shit for Africans either. I'm not telling you my job, but I work with Canadians in need of help.

He's paid by some presumably religious organisation to proselytize to people who need actual physical help. Charity is preferable to someone who earns a living selling myths to the needy.
                senegal is not that bad off, these children arnt starving while he makes them eat the bible.

and religion can teach people love trust respect and peace, which from what i understand are all things africa needs, it maybe 1 out of 10 but it still can.

its of your opinion that hes not helping, but really i think the children and village members he lives with should be the ones to decide.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by *Boss Lady* View Post
                  Yes, there is something more useless.

IE: Working toward a 'degree' whilst spamming the Internet with 'ab shots' on an all male forum. I'm tempted to get my **** out 'cause you guys have to put up with that far too often. It will be my good deed for the year.

I was looking forward to this thread, with the likes of Reed, Bringer, Squeal, Jim Jefferies, hell even Sully is sounding somewhat literate in here; then I saw that.

What pictures of someone's stomach have to do with a degree in Theology are beyond me.
                  Quoted to double the chances that he sees this and replies, because I thrive on conflict.

Comment

senegal is not that bad off, these children arnt starving while he makes them eat the bible.
                    Senegal has rampant poverty and the country is in need of medical care and clean water. They may not be in a famine situation but they are certainly not safe from privation.

and religion can teach people love trust respect and peace, which from what i understand are all things africa needs, it maybe 1 out of 10 but it still can.
                    The Senegalese already have religion. The fact that these christians think that they need to be introduced to the "true" religion in order to learn "love, trust, respect and peace" is one more aspect I find objectionable. How very Victorian.

its of your opinion that hes not helping, but really i think the children and village members he lives with should be the ones to decide.
                    People show up with clean water and medicine and bibles and say "you can choose our religion. No really, it's up to you."

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                      Quoted to double the chances that he sees this and replies, because I thrive on conflict.
                      He has me on ignore

Plus all he's going to say is I'm fat or on welfare

Ohhh nos!

Comment

Working...
                      X