No announcement yet.

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    That's a really good analogy to questions about the existence of gods. When one phenomenon previously ascribed to god is countered with an increase in understanding the goalposts are moved and god becomes that bit more nebulous. God used to cause thunderbolts and earthquakes and plagues. Now we know what cause those things so god is reduced to watching invisibly waiting for people to die like some sort of malevolent leprechaun.

Not really. There's a supernatural component to religion. Confucianism is a moral code, but there is no supernatural element therefore it isn't a religion.

But yes, there are some forms of buddhism that are atheist.

No, he's referring to any religious god. He can't be 100% certain - but he can be very close.

It's the same argument used for the existence of the supernatural. "You can't disprove..." is nonsense. Because while you can't disprove god you also can't disprove unicorns.

Co-sign Pigster here. . . Basically what I was saying, but worded, clarified, and supporter better.

Comment

Look, understand I'm not trying to look down on anybody for being religious. . . Who the hell am I to say how the world was created, and why we are here, etc.?

As some philosopher said (can't remember, but I think Socrates): "I know I am intelligent, because I know that I am nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        on average 10,000 people climb mount olympius each year, we can be sure that the zeus of roman/greek mythology who lived ontop of mount olympius does not exist.
        There's no heaven in teh clouds, we can be sure that god does not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLLOCKS View Post
          There's no heaven in teh clouds, we can be sure that god does not exist.
          William Rankin rode the thunder, spoke to god then vomited.

Comment

Originally posted by Ether View Post
            'During a wide-ranging discussion the Archbishop also said that he believed that human beings had evolved from non-human ancestors but were nevertheless “in the image of God”.'
            Behave Williams. You're out of your depth, son.
            Last edited by The Monk; 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAV1$ View Post
              William Rankin rode the thunder, spoke to god then vomited.
              I thought you meant William Shatner at first, imagine me disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
                Behave Williams. You're out of your depth, son.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Oh lordy.. .

Comment

Working...
                      X