Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• personally, i was deeply moved by this morally complex film

it begs the question of how far would you take to do the "right" thing

just watch it then you'll see what i mean
    Last edited by MaD RoBoT; 02-21-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by *Boss Lady* View Post
      Those are great films.

Shawshank makes me sob!
      I've seen it like 20 times, no exaggerating. Really love it but never got too emotional. However, John Q no matter how many times I always have the same reaction when he pulls the gun to his head and also when he is taken to jail that his kid do the bodybuilder pose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
        Ok, I'm gonna be an ******* here. Only because someone brought up another movie that was in an article I was reading, while Pursuit of Happyness happened to be in the same article.

So if you dont want the movie (or more specifically the true story) ruined dont read on...

The Hollywood Version:

Chris Gardner is a hard-working man with a pain-in-the-ass wife and an adorable little son boasting one of the greatest afros we've ever seen on a child. All Gardner wants to do is make enough of a living to provide for his son.
        Through what we assume is black magic, he solves a Rubik's Cube in record time, wowing an employee at Dean Witter and he apparently passes the only test needed to qualify a man to become a stock broker. He toils for months, sleeping in subways and churches with his son at his side, but in the end it all pays off when he claims the one and only opening at Dean Witter, crying tears of joy and getting jiggy wit it in the streets of San Francisco.

In reality ...

Gardner did get a chance to show his stuff in the Dean Witter training program (though we're sad to report his acceptance had nothing to do with solving a colorful puzzle game). But, as the more honest book version points out, he apparently wasn't quite the father the film made him out to be.
        First, he was so focused on getting a job and earning his first million that, well, he actually didn't even know where the hell his son was for the first four months of the program.

Chris, Jr. was apparently living at this point in time with his mother, Jackie. Did we mention that the boy had been conceived when Gardner was still married to another woman?
        In addition, instead of being arrested just before his big interview due to parking tickets ... well, it seems that Chris was actually arrested after Jackie accused him of domestic violence.

Don't get us wrong, Chris did indeed get his life turned around after landing the job as a broker. There were just some things in Gardner's past that they couldn't quite bring themselves to have Will Smith do on screen. Like selling drugs (as Gardner admits he did briefly), or doing cocaine with his mistress, with little doses of PCP and a hearty helping of Mary Jane tossed in for good measure.
        Adulterous sex? Cocaine? Neglecting your child for months at a time? It says something about the man that he didn't drop the pursuit, despite having pretty much found happyness already.

Read more: 7 Movies Based on a True Story (That Are Complete Bull****) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_16478...#ixzz1mzjqXd5P
        Thanks for the info. I always read the books after the movie so I dont spoil it for others. I'm looking forward to read the real story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
          Ok, I'm gonna be an ******* here. Only because someone brought up another movie that was in an article I was reading, while Pursuit of Happyness happened to be in the same article.

So if you dont want the movie (or more specifically the true story) ruined dont read on...

The Hollywood Version:

Chris Gardner is a hard-working man with a pain-in-the-ass wife and an adorable little son boasting one of the greatest afros we've ever seen on a child. All Gardner wants to do is make enough of a living to provide for his son.
          Through what we assume is black magic, he solves a Rubik's Cube in record time, wowing an employee at Dean Witter and he apparently passes the only test needed to qualify a man to become a stock broker. He toils for months, sleeping in subways and churches with his son at his side, but in the end it all pays off when he claims the one and only opening at Dean Witter, crying tears of joy and getting jiggy wit it in the streets of San Francisco.

In reality ...

Gardner did get a chance to show his stuff in the Dean Witter training program (though we're sad to report his acceptance had nothing to do with solving a colorful puzzle game). But, as the more honest book version points out, he apparently wasn't quite the father the film made him out to be.
          First, he was so focused on getting a job and earning his first million that, well, he actually didn't even know where the hell his son was for the first four months of the program.

Chris, Jr. was apparently living at this point in time with his mother, Jackie. Did we mention that the boy had been conceived when Gardner was still married to another woman?
          In addition, instead of being arrested just before his big interview due to parking tickets ... well, it seems that Chris was actually arrested after Jackie accused him of domestic violence.

Don't get us wrong, Chris did indeed get his life turned around after landing the job as a broker. There were just some things in Gardner's past that they couldn't quite bring themselves to have Will Smith do on screen. Like selling drugs (as Gardner admits he did briefly), or doing cocaine with his mistress, with little doses of PCP and a hearty helping of Mary Jane tossed in for good measure.
          Adulterous sex? Cocaine? Neglecting your child for months at a time? It says something about the man that he didn't drop the pursuit, despite having pretty much found happyness already.

Read more: 7 Movies Based on a True Story (That Are Complete Bull****) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_16478...#ixzz1mzjqXd5P
          Holy Hell, Danny Gunz. The next thing you're gonna do is tell me that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Damn it.

I guess it's wise to take "BASED on a true story" with a grain of salt, eey? A whole lotta Hollywood with a pinch of truth I guess.

Comment

• Not movies but that fcking intervention show makes me sad,i catch myself at the end hoping that they stick with treatment while i suck down my beer and hit my joint.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
              X