Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian Open Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do find it odd how how Murray loses in virtually the same manor (to a fresher Djokovic) and he gets called a bottle job, but Nadal is called a warrior. Nadal even managed to throw away a break in the 5th when Nole was quite clearly ****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
      I do find it odd how how Murray loses in virtually the same manor (to a fresher Djokovic) and he gets called a bottle job, but Nadal is called a warrior. Nadal even managed to throw away a break in the 5th when Nole was quite clearly ****ed.
      I think the 10 extra grand slams has something to do with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        Am I the only one that wishes there were some serve-volleyers still around? It was an epic match and a great effort by both men but its sometimes tiring to watch them just bash it back n forth from the baseline. Tennis is becoming much more about fitness than finesse. I can't stand Nadal's style. Glad Djoko won.
        Im sure a lot more of the old timers would like to see more serve and volleying. I personally don't. I felt that game to be boring, especially in the mens. Because it seemed to be just a huge serve and then slammed back on a weak return. Not very much rallying.

Comment

The courts are a lot slower than they used to b therefore it's much harder to serve and volley... Also if they don't got a perfect volley the opponent will just hit a passing shot.. the strings now allow players to spin the ball so much more than they used
          to

What makes nadal so effective against fed is because nadal hits that loopy forehand to feds
          one handed backhand and fed has trouble with it

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth Ivanovic View Post
            Im sure a lot more of the old timers would like to see more serve and volleying. I personally don't. I felt that game to be boring, especially in the mens. Because it seemed to be just a huge serve and then slammed back on a weak return. Not very much rallying.
            Well I'd prefer more clashes of styles.

Comment

Am I the only one that wishes there were some serve-volleyers still around? It was an epic match and a great effort by both men but its sometimes tiring to watch them just bash it back n forth from the baseline. Tennis is becoming much more about fitness than finesse. I can't stand Nadal's style. Glad Djoko won.
              Yeah the game's gone a bit flat now. Just brute strength from the baseline the whole damned match. And that's just the women.

The grass has been slowed down a little, and the balls are a little larger, not to mention the improvements in racket technology. Kills off a lot of the finer touch.

Comment

I think the 10 extra grand slams has something to do with it...
                What does the past have to do with it though? Nadal threw away a bigger advantage in this match than Murray did yesterday.
                Last edited by El Fenomeno; 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Well I'd prefer more clashes of styles.
                  Like Agassi, Sampras back in the day? I can understand that. I just hated the serve and volleyer vs serve and volleyer match ups.

Comment

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
                    What does the past have to do with it though? Nadal through away a bigger advantage in this match than Murray did yesterday.
                    The past shows he's not a bottler. But yeah you could say he bottled it today and Djoko definitely has something over him psychologically. But Nadal is still a proven winner whereas Murray is a loser.

The worst part of Murray's performance to me was the way he quit in the 4th set. I don't think you'd ever see Nadal do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gareth Ivanovic View Post
                      Like Agassi, Sampras back in the day? I can understand that. I just hated the serve and volleyer vs serve and volleyer match ups.
                      I miss Tiger Tim tbh

Comment

Working...
                      X