Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Public Schools want to allow Muslim prayers but not the Lord's prayer.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
    report it and don't let me see you on the Danny or I'll taser you're ass!.
    OK, OK. lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by tim horton View Post
      This kid knows what he is talking about - can`t believe that i am saying this. True about Jane and Finch as well.

Good post.
      Jane and Finch is a fantastic and safe area, you will never get robbed, why? Because the people who live there go to the nice areas to commit crime, kinda like dont ***** in your own house type of deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
        Jane and Finch is a fantastic and safe area, you will never get robbed, why? Because the people who live there go to the nice areas to commit crime, kinda like dont ***** in your own house type of deal.
        My ex lived at Jane and Sheppard for a while. There was one incident in 3 years of him living there. I lived at Kipling and Finch, Kennedy and Eglington, Lawerence and Galloway and grew up at Weston and Lawerence. Also, I spend tons of time Downtown, I have never been robbed, shot, stabbed anything.

Who are you is a fu*ktarded brat who probably grew up in Streetsville and knows nothing about the city.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom.
          A lot of the crime in Toronto is committed by white thugs on the lower East side.

When I was in Toronto a few years ago, no blacks or Muslims gave me a bad time, but I had an incident with four white scumbags who were going to put a beating on me for no reason other then for their amusement.

That being said, the Jane-Finch corridor seems to have a lot of murders and drug-related crime.
          You were sucking on the handle of your umbrella,sitting on Wellesley and Church sidewalk looking at us with lust. What do you expect us to do?. smile and introduce ourselves to you?.You deserved a beating.
          Last edited by Amazinger; 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by I ♥ RVP View Post
            My ex lived at Jane and Sheppard for a while. There was one incident in 3 years of him living there. I lived at Kipling and Finch, Kennedy and Eglington, Lawerence and Galloway and grew up at Weston and Lawerence. Also, I spend tons of time Downtown, I have never been robbed, shot, stabbed anything.

Who are you is a fu*ktarded brat who probably grew up in Streetsville and knows nothing about the city.
            Ain't that the crack whore capital of Toronto?.

Comment

No lol

Plus, I lived there as a child, it was very different then.

Jarvis and Gerrard ... Crack-whore capital of Toronto.

Comment

Nah right now its Pay-Day-Loan/MoneyMart capital of the world, I swear on Weston/Lawrence there's like 15 places that will give you pay day loans .

and that place has lots and lots of Prostitutes now, it was good when It was Italian area 30 years ago, but then they started building Government housing.

but it doesnt Matter Jane/Finch Finch/Kipling etc etc, you will only get into trouble if u looking for trouble or flashing your cash and nobody knows you.

99% of the crime is black on black and between rival gang members or baby mama issues.

alot of immigrants live there without trouble.

I think Sherbourne/Jarvis/Church/Wellsley are more dangerous since people there are complete loons who have no sense of reality and will stab you for a $2 book.

Comment

• Comment

• disgraceful..........

Comment

• Do you really think they will bring prayer in even though they have banned Christmas from the public schools here?

Literally banned it, and kids are told to avoid wearing red and green during the month of December. :/
                      Umm... that's not true.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/wwwdocuments/p...lidays2008.pdf

Christmas isn't banned, but it is not emphasized to the exclusion of other holidays. And nobody got banned from wearing red or green.

I live in Toronto, so I am an authority on this issue.

Toronto is very multicultural, literally, it had the title of being the most multicultural city in the world.

Toronto has 6 Million People. Whites make up roughly 45% of the city's population, Chinese/East Asian probably accounts for 25%, and South Asian/Hispanic/Blask probably accounts for another 25% or so.

Toronto is very much a mixed city.

2.5 million.

OK so about this mosqueteria business, here's the lowdown:

The school was complaining that some of the kids were going to Friday prayers and not returning. They were sometimes leaving pretending to be going to Friday prayers and never showed up at the Mosque. The solution was to turn a cafeteria into a makeshift mosque and have an imam attend and have prayers in the school. No leaving for a Mosque, no truancy, problem solved right?

Now some people objected over the Lord's Prayer thing, because prayers were (quite rightly) taken out of public schools. This is a red herring. Students are permitted to pray in schools whenever they like unless it is disrupting lessons or is being led by teachers. The Lord's Prayer was by contrast something which was read in school assemblies and all students were expected to take part.

As the mosqueteria is outside of lesson times and is (officially) totally voluntary there is no objection to it on the basis of it involving the school promoting religion.

Here are my objections:

1. The mosqueteria was set up to solve the problem of students pretending to leave for prayers and instead bunking off school. This isn't a problem of accessibility to prayer, this is a disciplinary issue and should be dealt with accordingly, in the same manner that any other truant would be dealt with. They are solving the wrong problem!

2. Non muslims including staff members are not permitted to attend the mosque, and the proceedings are in Arabic. A local religious figure is being allowed unfettered access to children and nobody who does not hare that religion is allowed to monitor. This is objectionable just as it would be if a catholic priest, evangelical minister, rabbi or even the head of the local Centre for Inquiry were permitted to have exclusive and unrestricted access to children.

3. Because the cafeteria is converted into for all intents and purposes a mosque, and because in a mosque women and girls are not permitted to speak, have to pray at the back of the room and menstruating women are considered unclean and are not permitted to participate at all, this has grave human rights implications. At least in intent a school must be a place where all students are considered equal. Religion cannot trump gender equality in a school, regardless of the religion.

If this was a student led prayer group I would have less of an issue with it. As it stands I find it to be rather ugly and really should be stopped.

Comment

Working...
                      X