No announcement yet.

Rate The Last Film You Saw!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fury View Post
    Reincarnation is only implied in the film. The birthmarks have nothing to do with reincarnation (how did you come to that conclusion?) The people with birthmarks are the ones who influence the future.
    WTF Are you sure YOU understood the movie?

Comment

• Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
      I'm far too lazy to explain to you the very movie you love and viewed multiple times, so i'll just end this conversation with a quote from the actual author David Mitchell:

Literally all of the main characters, except one, are reincarnations of the same soul in different bodies throughout the novel identified by a birthmark...that's just a symbol really of the universality of human nature. The title itself "Cloud Atlas," the cloud refers to the ever changing manifestations of the Atlas, which is the fixed human nature which is always thus and ever shall be. So the book's theme is predacity, the way individuals prey on individuals, groups on groups, nations on nations, tribes on tribes. So I just take this theme and in a sense reincarnate that theme in another context..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)

Comment

There is only one person in each story/time with a birthmark. That person influences the next story/time

Adam Ewing's journal influences Robert Frobisher to write the Cloud Atlas Sextet.
        His letters help Luisa Rey find Megan and publish a story about the planed melt down.
        Her story influences Timothy Cavendish to write a novel about his ordeal
        The film about Cavendish influences Sonmi to spark the revolution.
        Her words influence humanity.
        Then you see at the end Zachry has the birthmark.

Comment

I'm far too lazy to explain to you the very movie you love and viewed multiple times, so i'll just end this conversation with a quote from the actual author David Mitchell:

Literally all of the main characters, except one, are reincarnations of the same soul in different bodies throughout the novel identified by a birthmark...that's just a symbol really of the universality of human nature. The title itself "Cloud Atlas," the cloud refers to the ever changing manifestations of the Atlas, which is the fixed human nature which is always thus and ever shall be. So the book's theme is predacity, the way individuals prey on individuals, groups on groups, nations on nations, tribes on tribes. So I just take this theme and in a sense reincarnate that theme in another context..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)
          That is the novel, silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fury View Post
            That is the novel, silly.
            ...Which the movie is directly based off of, silly.

I fail to see your point.

Comment

• Okay, I'll do you one better:

The official synopsis for Cloud Atlas describes the film as:

An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(film)

This reincarnate soul is identified by the birthmark. I'm sorry you didn't get that.
              Last edited by deliveryman; 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• So you agree that the birthmarks have nothing to do with reincarnation.

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
                I fail to see your point.
                Indeed.

Comment

• The birthmark represents the protagonist in each story/timeline.

So the film only loosely follows the novel. As the people with birthmarks are not the reincarnation of the person before.

Hugh Grant is an old man in the 2012 story/timeline and he isn't the same Hugh Grant from 1975. How do you explain that?

Comment

• The birthmarks can not represent the same soul as Cavendish and Luisa Ray would be around the same age. Explain that.

Comment

• I AM VICTORIOUS

Comment

Working...
                      X