No announcement yet.

Was I being a tool for doing this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I being a tool for doing this?

So my woman and I go to the UTA Planetarium last night to see a movie, and in the foyer someone has put up a flier from the Linguistics Lab wanting volunteers who speak "Chinese" to be in an experiment.

So I take a pen and write accross the top of the flier:

"There is no language called "Chinese". There is Canonese and Mandarin. Which do you mean?"

I figure if you're going to call yourself a student of linguistics and work in the Linguistics Lab, you damn well ought to know this. I equate it to calling yourself a mathmetician and working in the Math Lab but somehow not knowing Pythagoras' law. Not something the average person knows, but you as a mathmetician DAMN WELL better know.

Was I dick to write that on the flier?

Originally posted by GranTorino View Post
    So my woman and I go to the UTA Planetarium last night to see a movie, and in the foyer someone has put up a flier from the Linguistics Lab wanting volunteers who speak "Chinese" to be in an experiment.

"There is no language called "Chinese". There is Canonese and Mandarin. Which do you mean?"

I figure if you're going to call yourself a student of linguistics and work in the Linguistics Lab, you damn well ought to know this. I equate it to calling yourself a mathmetician and working in the Math Lab but somehow not knowing Pythagoras' law. Not something the average person knows, but you as a mathmetician DAMN WELL better know.

you're good

its their ignorance you called out

Comment

No..........

Comment

How much "Chinese" do you know then?

Comment

if its uncalled for, you trying to be smart aleck which is uncool

Comment

Originally posted by Taaj Manzoor View Post
            How much "Chinese" do you know then?
            lol. I peronsally don't know any "Chinese" because it doesn't exist.

Now, I do know A Chinese or two.

Comment

Originally posted by grantorino View Post
              lol. I peronsally don't know any "chinese" because it doesn't exist.

Now, i do know a chinese or two.

你應該學習一些中國拳擊,然後張貼在現場的網站!

Comment

Originally posted by CHUCKIE M. View Post
                if its uncalled for, you trying to be smart aleck which is uncool

So I'm just supposed allow this person who wrote this to wallow in their own ignorance and not try to help them along their road of knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Taaj Manzoor View Post
                  你應該學習一些中國拳擊,然後張貼在現場的網站!

I know a little Chinese boxing myself, actually. I'm good.

(god bless google translator)

Comment

So I'm just supposed allow this person who wrote this to wallow in their own ignorance and not try to help them along their road of knowledge?
                    did he ask your help? no. so your a tool

Comment

Working...
                    X