Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a human kill a bear with just simple weapons?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Can a human kill a bear with just simple weapons?

I'm talking about knives, spears, axe, machetes. I'm going camping this weekend and I'm worried about bears. So with these weapons can I kill a bear straight on?

Go buy some bear spray. It's a long distance weapon, you don't want to risk fighting a bear at close range. Their mouths can swallow half of your body - one shot!

Comment

Originally posted by triggerhapppy View Post
      I'm talking about knives, spears, axe, machetes. I'm going camping this weekend and I'm worried about bears. So with these weapons can I kill a bear straight on?
      Us scandinavians used to kill the thing with a knife:

The usage of knives was a common method of bear killing for the Norse people, who viewed the act of killing a bear on a one to one basis with solely a knife a rite of passage for young men. American frontiersmen and modern hunters still carry knives in case their firearms fail, or when the bear has been immobilized.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_hunting

Once upon a time.... we were so badass. Don't know what happened.

Comment

This guy was going to go all Viking on 'em, despite having never been in the woods before.

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...7/22/bear.html

A man stabbed a black bear to death with a 15-cm hunting knife, saying he knew he would otherwise become "lunch" after it attacked him and his dog on a canoeing portage in northern Ontario.

Tom Tilley, a 55-year-old from Waterloo, Ont., said his American Staffordshire dog Sam growled a warning, then rushed to his defence as the bear came at them on a trail north of Wawa on Friday.

As Sam battled with the nearly 90-kilogram bear, Tilley jumped on its back and stabbed it with his knife.

"Love is a very powerful emotion and my thought right away was: 'You're not going to kill my dog,'" Tilley told the Waterloo Region Record.

"I really consider my dog a hero. Without that first warning, I would have had the bear clamping down on my neck."

An avid outdoorsman, Tilley was four days into a 12-day canoe trip. He said he heard Sam growl and noticed the bear closing in on him. He waved his arms and slowly backed away. But the bear came closer, cutting off his escape route.

"That's when I knew I had a serious problem.… I was lunch," he said. "The bear took a few steps down the trail and clamped its mouth on the back of my dog. It gave me the quick opportunity I needed to run around to the back of the bear, get on its back and with my knife start stabbing it."

After making sure the animal was dead, Tilley realized that both he and dog had been bitten.

He dragged his canoe across a short portage and paddled for about an hour before he came across a pair of Americans who had a satellite phone. They called for help and two hours later, a cargo plane arrived to take Tilley and Sam to Wawa for medical attention.

Comment

Aren't bears going extinct?

leave them the fuck alone, just equip those alien gym shoes so you can run if necessary.
            Last edited by Ether; 06-01-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Just make sure you have an airhorn that will scare them off.And wear brown underwear at all times.

Chances are you're going to camp in a camp ground. so there's not a lot of threat in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                Just make sure you have an airhorn that will scare them off.And wear brown underwear at all times.

Chances are you're going to camp in a camp ground. so there's not a lot of threat in there.
                is the brown underwear to cover the poo stains?

Comment

I wouldn't fancy your chances with close range weapons like those bro. If it gets close enough to you that you're in range to use any of those, chances are you're gonna be bear food. Do you have a friend that you don't really like too much, could go with you, and crucially, can't run as fast as you do?

Happy Hols!!!

Comment

Bear Spray, or even a good grade pepper spray (which bear spray is) will do fine. They are weary of humans in general. If you make a lot of noice for instance they will most likely run off. Don't keep your food near where you sleep. Tie it up in a tree. Bury your SH**. Keep a fire going, and you won't even see a bear.
                    BTW I Believe there were several Native American cultures which considered killing a bear with a knife a rite of passage.
                    I want to hunt a Kodiak with a bow.

Comment

Working...
                    X