No announcement yet.

Sucks that Detroit is dead.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
    Michigan was the only state in the census that lost population. It's sad. It's my home and all my family is still there.
    It was the only state to lose population, but it was less than 150,000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
      Take the worst part of England and think of that as Detroit. Wealthy people do not live in Detroit, nor do wealthy companies. Detroit is more of a wasteland now. Enimen lives in Oakland County, like most wealthy athletes from here or musicians. Despite Detroits downfall, Oakland Country still was amongst one of the wealthier counties in America.
      I can see where your coming from. But why have things dramatically changed? And why is Detroit being reverted to a wasteland now?. A lack of business, work?

Originally posted by ZigZag View Post
      Ya, they actually went and looked for a job.... Not settle for crime or unemployment.
      Well. Let's not get into that before things get a ltttle touchy.

Comment

Cheap shot Zig Zag

Comment

Originally posted by Casual View Post
          I can see where your coming from. But why have things dramatically changed? And why is Detroit being reverted to a wasteland now?. A lack of business, work?
          Yes, mainly the blame can be put on a lack of work. Detroit at one time was a very powerful city due to the automotive business and of course manufacturing. Well, unlike other cities with the foresight to see that manufacturing wasn't always going to be here and invest in other things, Detroit felt they didn't have to do it because the automotive industry was still rather strong. As we all know things change and it has been rough for the Big 3 as well as jobs.

All blame can't be put on industry though. Detroit has had major corruption in its government. Whether it be hidden murders of officials, sex scandals, or money laundering, Detroit has had some crooked leaders. Other things like funding for schools is sorely lacking(Detroit is number 1 in drop out rate), crime is very high(yes, it does go hand in hand but still) and certain taxes(city and state) have killed any ideas of rebuilding the city. There is businesses here but they choose to build in the suburbs. Major companies like Google for example chose to build their company in Ann Arbor, not Detroit.

Comment

I like this commercial.

Comment

Yes, mainly the blame can be put on a lack of work. Detroit at one time was a very powerful city due to the automotive business and of course manufacturing. Well, unlike other cities with the foresight to see that manufacturing wasn't always going to be here and invest in other things, Detroit felt they didn't have to do it because the automotive industry was still rather strong. As we all know things change and it has been rough for the Big 3 as well as jobs.

All blame can't be put on industry though. Detroit has had major corruption in its government. Whether it be hidden murders of officials, sex scandals, or money laundering, Detroit has had some crooked leaders. Other things like funding for schools is sorely lacking(Detroit is number 1 in drop out rate), crime is very high(yes, it does go hand in hand but still) and certain taxes(city and state) have killed any ideas of rebuilding the city. There is businesses here but they choose to build in the suburbs. Major companies like Google for example chose to build their company in Ann Arbor, not Detroit.
              Damn sounds like things have drastically changed there. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers keep dropping to.. I guess crime rate, and the educational system has something to do with it (parents are picky with schools these days). Detroit sounds like there is no attraction to bring you to the city any-more (sad indeed) considering it was a great city back in the day.

Then again, there are cities in England, that have went to the slumps in recent years too. Some places in London are a total dump, and not welcoming at all. Many also revert to moving else where (can't blame them really).

Comment

Yes, about 92% of Detroits population is African American.
                Not all whites left.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...20752#42220752

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Khent View Post
                  Absolutely. In one of my posts I addressed that despite Detroit losing a lot of population the two major counties surrounding Detroit had an increase in population, especially from African Americans. It isn't all good though. With people moving out of state, cheaper housing has become available and homes are going to the wrong kind of people. The once beautiful suburbs of Detroit are not staying that way. I'm proud of where I come from but it's sad to think that Detroit isn't going to come back. Not that long ago they were talking about building urban farms because Detroit is a very large city with just streets of empty lots or burned down/decaying homes.

Comment

Working...
                  X