No announcement yet.

The White Stripes Are Dead, U Mad?: Dedicated to MIB

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
    This in contrast to bands like Pavement, whose earliest work I hate despite being my favorite American band.
    How can you hate Slanted & Enchanted?

Comment

Originally posted by Rab- View Post
      MIB why you mad son? it's just the internet.
      Are you ******ed?

I'm not making threads FAO this guy, take it up with him.

LOOOL, like you were putting on any heat. You offered a crappy one-liner 'opinion' that anyone can regurgitate. You call it "two different beasts", I (and anyone with a clue about art) calls it development. Fleetwood Mac is two (or 3 or 4) different beasts...you don't call one girl and one guy playing primal drums and guitar together for the best part of 15 years anything other than one beast, the beast just matures and develops and wussies and pseuds like you who want things to stay the same forever will always cry when the little indie band they think is their little secret either grows or blows up and does things big or both, that's just the way it is (they move on, but you can't, like a jilted ex).
      And you're either a cloth-eared **** or a ******, because they didn't become any less blues-influenced (as if that, by itself, is some great virtue), they just progressively broadened their spectrum of influence and expression.

Shows how much you know about where I'm coming from; I don't think there is even one true ATG studio album in their catalogue - my take was always that I'd take any Stripes live show from 1997-2003 over any of their studio LP's pre-GBMS. GBMS onward is where they come into their own as a studio act, their early LP's up to and including 'Elephant' never caught exactly what they were about, despite Jack's luddite zeal, they never caught the rawness, the power in the studio. When their records became more like studio records, that's when their recorded product began to interest me more, even if I don't ultimately rate them that highly as a studio entity on any of their albums.
      Ultimately, their Legacy is as a live act, period. I doubt you've even watched/heard Under Great White Northern Lights, but if you have and you still think the band had nothing to offer after 2003, if you can't see the common threads between then and now and the full-circle beauty and unity of the statement, you're a moron and you never dug the band for the right reasons in the first place.

Here's the heat right now. Only difference is, it's your thread that gets crapped up with it and not mine. Get it? Ripping you up is no skin off my nose.

Isn't Tengoshi the 30-something male who likes to hang around in teen chats talking to much younger guys, BTW? That's what I heard. LMAO.

Comment

Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
        Are you ******ed?

I'm not making threads FAO this guy, take it up with him.

LOOOL, like you were putting on any heat. You offered a crappy one-liner 'opinion' that anyone can regurgitate. You call it "two different beasts", I (and anyone with a clue about art) calls it development. Fleetwood Mac is two (or 3 or 4) different beasts...you don't call one girl and one guy playing primal drums and guitar together for the best part of 15 years anything other than one beast, the beast just matures and develops and wussies and pseuds like you who want things to stay the same forever will always cry when the little indie band they think is their little secret either does something different or blows up and does things big, that's just the way it is. They move on, but you can't, stuck in the past. Aand you're either a cloth-eared **** or a ******, because they didn't become any less blues-influenced (as if that, by itself, is some great virtue), they just progressively broadened their spectrum of influence and expression.

Shows how much you know about where I'm coming from; I don't think there is even one true ATG studio album in their catalogue - my take was always that I'd take any Stripes live show from 1997-2003 over any of their studio LP's pre-GBMS. GBMS onward is where they come into their own as a studio act, their early LP's up to and including 'Elephant' never caught exactly what they were about, despite Jack's luddite zeal, they never caught the rawness, the power in the studio. When their records became more like studio records, that's when their recorded product began to interest me more, even if I don't ultimately rate them that highly as a studio entity on any of their albums.
        Ultimately, their Legacy is as a live act, period. I doubt you've even watched/heard Under Great White Northern Lights, but if you have and you still think the band had nothing to offer after 2003, if you can't see the common threads between then and now and the full-circle beauty and unity of the statement, you're a moron and you never dug the band for the right reasons in the first place.

Here's the heat right now. Only difference is, it's your thread that gets crapped up with it and not mine. Get it? Ripping you up is no skin off my nose.

Isn't Tengoshi the 30-something male who likes to hang around in teen chats talking to much younger guys, BTW? That's what I heard. LMAO.
        I saw that and it was kinda neat, but it doesn't compare to the blackpool show. That's about as good as it gets for a live show.

Innit?

Comment

I like some of their songs, White Blood Cells is a good album

Comment

Originally posted by Bastian Loc View Post
            I saw that and it was kinda neat, but it doesn't compare to the blackpool show. That's about as good as it gets for a live show.

Innit?
            Allie, Blackpool Lights is insane. And even that's after the period this chump claims they were 'most relevant', too.

I'll expound more on UGWNL another time, need to sit down with the document and let some thoughts flow. Elvis '77 (The Final Curtain) is eating up all my music time ATM.

Comment

Allie, Blackpool Lights is insane. And even that's after the period this chump claims they were 'most relevant', too.

I'll expound more on UGWNL another time, need to sit down with the document and let some thoughts flow. Elvis '77 (The Final Curtain) is eating up all my music time ATM.
              He's obviously a bitter clueless dipshit.

Whats the bold?

Comment

UGWNL, Under Great White Northern Lights.

I mean, the blues, in essence, is only a feel in the first place.

Mobb Deep were the blues, Jus Allah is the blues. Rihanna and Jonas Brothers sing the blues, too, FFS.

LOL @ people who cling to nominal genres and modes in failed attempts to justify indefensible stances.

"The blues" is not a currently active nominal genre. It's a designation for HMV racks and iTunes, to denote some artists who did their famous work anything from 50 to 80 years ago in most cases. It's dead and being preserved in a glass case, it only truly lives in its spirit anymore, its essence.

So who even cares how overtly or slavishly you reference a dead nominal genre? It's never gonna sound like Robert Johnson or Blind Willie whatever degree of hardcore 'authenticity' an artist tries to retain; the best way to pay homage to the spirit of those guys, those freewheelers, is to do your own thing - that's what Jack and Meg have done with some moving results, so that whole 'they were more bluesy in 1999' screed is just not a valid point to justify one's opinion that a band has declined.

Anyway, yeah, he hangs in teenchats trying to bumfiddle young lads.

Comment

UGWNL, Under Great White Northern Lights.

I mean, the blues, in essence, is only a feel in the first place.

Mobb Deep were the blues, Jus Allah is the blues. Rihanna and Jonas Brothers sing the blues, too, FFS.

LOL @ people who cling to nominal genres and modes in failed attempts to justify indefensible stances.

"The blues" is not a currently active nominal genre. It's a designation for HMV racks and iTunes, to denote some artists who did their famous work anything from 50 to 80 years ago in most cases. It's dead and being preserved in a glass case, it only truly lives in its spirit anymore, its essence.

So who even cares how overtly or slavishly you reference a dead nominal genre? It's never gonna sound like Robert Johnson or Blind Willie whatever degree of hardcore 'authenticity' an artist tries to retain; the best way to pay homage to the spirit of those guys, those freewheelers, is to do your own thing - that's what Jack and Meg have done with some moving results, so that whole 'they were more bluesy in 1999' screed is just not a valid point to justify one's opinion that a band has declined.

Anyway, yeah, he hangs in teenchats trying to bumfiddle young lads.
                  I think the "I prefer the old blues sound" crowd are talking about the bluesy guitar riffs and such, and use of blues scales, rather than the spirit or soul of it all.

Comment

And they didn't even abandon that, that's the dumb and crazy part. It's all still present, but with other overtones, undercurrents, shadings, textures moving the trip on.

Someone can prefer the first few records, but to place that stuff so high up and to completely disavow what followed as worthless (or the work of a dead band) is to reveal oneself as a posing wanker.

The essence is more important than anything, unless you're some limited fetishist of a nominal genre that lives only in the past.

Comment

And they didn't even abandon that, that's the dumb and crazy part. It's all still present, but with other overtones, undercurrents, shadings, textures moving the trip on.

Someone can prefer the first few records, but to place that stuff so high up and to completely disavow what followed as worthless (or the work of a dead band) is to reveal oneself as a posing wanker.

The essence is more important than anything, unless you're some limited fetishist of a nominal genre that lives only in the past.
                      People player hate on Icky Thump but if that was their last album, that was one hell of a way to go out because there is at least 10 songs on that album that kick major ass.

Most albums you'd be lucky to get 5 good songs. Jacky was a prolific dude who filled each record with about as much quality as you could fill it with.

The only album where that wasn't as true was Get behind me, but that's a matter of debate and your personal orientation.

Outside of that, each album was was like a loaded gun.

Comment

Working...
                      X