If Hulk Hogan came out today instead of the early 80's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
    I don't think so...

It was a completely different era, culture, etc when Hogan was in his prime. There was a distinct difference between the good guy (babyface) and bad guy (heel) back in the 80s. It wasn't until Wrestlemania VI where we finally saw two top babyfaces wrestle in the main event for the World title. IMO, that moment changed the way the bookers from then on would book matches (ala Bret Hart vs Dave Boy Smith at Wembley Stadium, again 2 top babyfaces in the main event).

It was pretty clear by the mid 90s that Hogan NEEDED a huge makeover, and the nWo storyline was the most genius idea for someone of his stature to go from one extreme to the next. Pure brilliance by Bischoff.

With how Wrestling is now currently, I'm not sure Hogan's "schtick" would work with today's crowd being it premieres for the 1st time. He gets his pops because of the legacy he left behind. He IS and possibly will always be the face of Wrestling, but he and Vince also struck while the iron was hot.
    This is insane. You're not looking at it right. Wrestling wouldn't be how it is now if not for Hogan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastian Loc View Post
      This is insane. You're not looking at it right. Wrestling wouldn't be how it is now if not for Hogan.
      In the mid 90's it wouldn't have worked because the classic babyface is not what the culture wanted at the time.

Austin got over not because the industry changed but because ppls attitudes and ideals did for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
        In the mid 90's it wouldn't have worked because the classic babyface is not what the culture wanted at the time.

Austin got over not because the industry changed but because ppls attitudes and ideals did for a while.
        Can you make a separate thread documenting the wcw vs. wwf war and the eventual hostile takeover by Vinny Mac?

This is a part of WWF history I've always been interested in and wanted to know moar about. Include all the juicy bits like stealing wrestlers from each other etc.

You seem to be quite the wrestling historian.

Comment

are you kidding me?

am i a real american

i fight for the rights of every man (at least i think that's how it goes)

hulkamaniacs would take to the streets by the thousands every time he had a big match

Comment

If Hulk doesn't make it, the terrorists have won.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big_Amzzino;10076413]Rick Flair is the biggest hater ever! I remember DDP saying that when he first joined WCW Rick Flair told him to give it up because he was not good enough and would never become a big name.

Thank god he didn't listen to him otherwise we would never have had the legend that is DDP. But thats not a bad thing...thats a good thing

Comment

I'm not sure his gimmick would work today because now everything in wrestling is about being ripped and sexy.

Comment

[QUOTE=AL YANKAB*TCH;10078903]
                  Originally posted by Big_Amzzino View Post
                  Rick Flair is the biggest hater ever! I remember DDP saying that when he first joined WCW Rick Flair told him to give it up because he was not good enough and would never become a big name.

Thank god he didn't listen to him otherwise we would never have had the legend that is DDP. But thats not a bad thing...thats a good thing

Flair is a hater though and probably feels totally inadequate in Hogan's presence.

Read his book from like 04 I think, he is very jealous of Hogan's success and that he is the face of pro wrestling and not him......Flair is far from a real American.

Comment

This might sound sad but when I was a kid I wished HH was my real father.

Comment

[QUOTE=Spray_resistant;10078927]
                      Originally posted by AL YANKAB*TCH View Post

Flair is a hater though and probably feels totally inadequate in Hogan's presence.

Read his book from like 04 I think, he is very jealous of Hogan's success and that he is the face of pro wrestling and not him......Flair is far from a real American.
                      HAHAHAA... that's good stuff. I agree with you.

At the same time Flair was 10x the performer that Hogan was. He was also just as charismatic if not more. Flair cut some of the best promos in wrestling history. I was a huge Hogan fan as a kid. My old man was a Flair fan.

LOL... those were good times.

Comment

Working...
                      X