No announcement yet.

If Hulk Hogan came out today instead of the early 80's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
    Well considering how much was made off him I can understand why he wanted extra money. You know how much Vince made off Stone Cold and The Rock? its no secret the guy became a billionaire sometime during the attitude era.

So **** vince, he lived off so many people breaking their backs for him I'm glad Brock up and left and The Rock too.

Anyways, Hogan would be top in any era more than likely, he's got alot of charisma and good on the mic. In todays wrestling thats all that matters really, wrestling has taken a backseat to ppl who sell the most merch
    I remember Jesse Ventura on howard stern saying that mcmahon also doesn't give any of those guys health insurance because they're forced to sign on as independent contractors even though they work for the wwf.

McMahon didn't get filthy rich by being a nice guy I guess.

Comment

I don't think so...

It was a completely different era, culture, etc when Hogan was in his prime. There was a distinct difference between the good guy (babyface) and bad guy (heel) back in the 80s. It wasn't until Wrestlemania VI where we finally saw two top babyfaces wrestle in the main event for the World title. IMO, that moment changed the way the bookers from then on would book matches (ala Bret Hart vs Dave Boy Smith at Wembley Stadium, again 2 top babyfaces in the main event).

It was pretty clear by the mid 90s that Hogan NEEDED a huge makeover, and the nWo storyline was the most genius idea for someone of his stature to go from one extreme to the next. Pure brilliance by Bischoff.

With how Wrestling is now currently, I'm not sure Hogan's "schtick" would work with today's crowd being it premieres for the 1st time. He gets his pops because of the legacy he left behind. He IS and possibly will always be the face of Wrestling, but he and Vince also struck while the iron was hot.

Comment

How does a Slaughter cannon sound?

Comment

John Cena is just basically a modern day Hulk Hogan so yeah he wud do ok

Neither of those 2 compare to Austin and the rock imo

Comment

Originally posted by FERGIE TIME View Post
            John Cena is just basically a modern day Hulk Hogan so yeah he wud do ok

Neither of those 2 compare to Austin and the rock imo
            I think that's an insult to Hogan lol.

I think Randy Orton gets over a hell of a lot more than Cena. WWE after 3 years finally figured out how to downplay the boo's Cena gets at every show.

But Cena has great mic skills, I'll give him that.

Comment

Hulk could have still been a huge star if he came out these days due to his size and personality, but only if he used a different gimmick, or at least a less over the top version of it.

The All American hero gimmick was awesome in it's time, but would be a very hard sell these days.

Ever since the 90s, people are more drawn to badass anti-hero types, as opposed to squeaky clean idols like Hogan.

80s version of Hogan could have probably been a great self-righteous heel like Kurt Angle was.

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
              I think heel Hogan does well in any era though.
              I agree. I honestly didn't like Hogan until he traded his red and yellow for black and white.

I was more of Macho Man and Nature Boy fan growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                I think that's an insult to Hogan lol.

I think Randy Orton gets over a hell of a lot more than Cena. WWE after 3 years finally figured out how to downplay the boo's Cena gets at every show.

But Cena has great mic skills, I'll give him that.
                It is an insult to hogan but its the same formula for the matches as hogans were, get beat down till the last 4 minutes, do youre 5 moves of doom and overcome the odds. He may not be the modern hogan in terms of mainstream acceptance, but his matches are very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
                  Hulk could have still been a huge star if he came out these days due to his size and personality, but only if he used a different gimmick, or at least a less over the top version of it.

The All American hero gimmick was awesome in it's time, but would be a very hard sell these days.

Ever since the 90s, people are more drawn to badass anti-hero types, as opposed to squeaky clean idols like Hogan.

80s version of Hogan could have probably been a great self-righteous heel like Kurt Angle was.

I agree. I honestly didn't like Hogan until he traded his red and yellow for black and white.

I was more of Macho Man and Nature Boy fan growing up.
                  I agree with this...

Comment

Originally posted by Bastian Loc View Post
                    I can't believe Rick Flair called UW a flash in the pan. That's some true player hating right there. Heenan seemed to despise him too.

Its like these guys are mad that warrior didn't bother to learn the fireman's carry and leapfrogged all of them to stardom. I could see being jealous, but you gotta give Uw his due. They kept saying his matches sucked too. Granted he wasn't Shawn Micheals or Bret Hart, but his matches had a unique style of their own.

Frankly, him lifting dudes over his head like he used to >> all that "technical" ability Bobby Heenan loves so much.
                    Some ppl act like its a strategy to actually win the match like its a real competition, if guys like Hart could gorilla press slam a guy Hogans size they would instead of his same six moves over and over every match.

Comment

Working...
                    X