• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

ok, im sorry

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
        ok, im sorry

im glad this thread has stayed above the normal childish racial slander of the lounge.

luckily, I myself steer clear of all that

Comment

I went to a black middle and high school, with probably 10 white kids out of 400 students. The ten white kids always performed the best or close to it, and after spending a lot of time reflecting on that during and after school I have to say it's simply the parenting. The kids can't get ahead because they dont spend enough time with their parents.

My parents are immigrants without much formal education, but they made sure I knew how to read by the time I entered kindergarten. They were in their 30s when they had me.

Most of my classmates however either came from one-parent households or stayed with their grandmother or grandfather. And whoever they were living with was usually working all the time to support them. They didn't have the time to teach the kid to read, to show them a lot about the goings-on in the world, to control what they're watching on TV and to make them learn something every day.

I'm sure they did their best, but it was nowhere near enough to put them on level with most other american kids, let alone education standards on an international level which have a much higher education standards than in America.

I learned almost everything I know at home; any relevant information that was brought up in school I usually already knew outside of mathematics. Virtually everything my classmates learned they either had to learn in class or just not know about it entirely.

I will never, every forget the night in high school when I went on a date with this girl Kourtney, who was mixed and easily the prettiest girl in school. While we were hanging out a guy stopped on a dime in front of me and i drove around and called him a "Nazi ******" as we passed. She looked over at me and asked "Hey... what's a Nazi? I mean I know it's bad...."

It's a really sad situation that can't be fixed by building better schools or putting money into the situation. You cant drop your kid off at school and expect them to completely mold them. It sucks especially for single black parents who are out there trying to support their kids and keep them out of trouble, but the fact is if you aren't around your kid most of the day then they will be far more influenced by whoever it is theyre hanging out with than their parents.

And it's only getting worse. I read in the paper last week that over 90% of all black kids are now born out of wedlock...
          Last edited by paulf; 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Well the root of this problem, as has been touched upon is "Parenting". All of it starts at home.

I could get into how community is also a factor, I mean when I was a child. If you did somethin ****ed up, Mrs. Mattie down the street may have caught you doin wrong. She put a switch to you and sent you home and called your Granny and gave her a run down before you stepped on the side gerry(porch). Any elder in the community could correct you and send you home to get corrected further. We need this, but people are so much about self, that you cant have a tight knit community like this anymore.

But like I said this all starts at home. And we men, must make it a concerted effort to help raise and mold or children. Because it truely is OUR fault that our kids are suffering from this neglect of parenting.

Comment

I just seen a lot of black education today on ESPNU for LOI day. Not to bag on the SEC but you can certainly tell the difference between the kids the Big10 and the Sec recruits. Grant who is arguably the number 2 prospect in the nation signed with Ohio State, very respectable young man. A lot of the kids signing with the SEC you either can't understand them or just aren't very educated all that much. Reminds me of the FSU students that couldn't read on a third grade level. It's kind of sad that the SEC really doesn't care much about their student athletes. Churn em and burn em mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                I went to a black middle and high school, with probably 10 white kids out of 400 students. The ten white kids always performed the best or close to it, and after spending a lot of time reflecting on that during and after school I have to say it's simply the parenting. The kids can't get ahead because they dont spend enough time with their parents.

My parents are immigrants without much formal education, but they made sure I knew how to read by the time I entered kindergarten. They were in their 30s when they had me.

Most of my classmates however either came from one-parent households or stayed with their grandmother or grandfather. And whoever they were living with was usually working all the time to support them. They didn't have the time to teach the kid to read, to show them a lot about the goings-on in the world, to control what they're watching on TV and to make them learn something every day.

I'm sure they did their best, but it was nowhere near enough to put them on level with most other american kids, let alone education standards on an international level which have a much higher education standards than in America.

I learned almost everything I know at home; any relevant information that was brought up in school I usually already knew outside of mathematics. Virtually everything my classmates learned they either had to learn in class or just not know about it entirely.

I will never, every forget the night in high school when I went on a date with this girl Kourtney, who was mixed and easily the prettiest girl in school. While we were hanging out a guy stopped on a dime in front of me and i drove around and called him a "Nazi ******" as we passed. She looked over at me and asked "Hey... what's a Nazi? I mean I know it's bad...."

It's a really sad situation that can't be fixed by building better schools or putting money into the situation. You cant drop your kid off at school and expect them to completely mold them. It sucks especially for single black parents who are out there trying to support their kids and keep them out of trouble, but the fact is if you aren't around your kid most of the day then they will be far more influenced by whoever it is theyre hanging out with than their parents.

And it's only getting worse. I read in the paper last week that over 90% of all black kids are now born out of wedlock...
                I heard 80% now, I grew up in a black neighborhood and I had one friend who had a father at home, and he was a rockstar. both the mom and dad were junkies that were up all night.

i think you and chief are right, parenting and now no one lets anyone get in their business and help raise the kids in their neighborhood.

like I said earlier, these young women mothers want to be best friends with their kids and try and spoil them, they leave the discipline up to grandma who the kids don't respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                  I heard 80% now, I grew up in a black neighborhood and I had one friend who had a father at home, and he was a rockstar. both the mom and dad were junkies that were up all night.

i think you and chief are right, parenting and now no one lets anyone get in their business and help raise the kids in their neighborhood.

like I said earlier, these young women mothers want to be best friends with their kids and try and spoil them, they leave the discipline up to grandma who the kids don't respect.
                  It's a sad state of affairs fa sho Bruhnlaw. But it's in our hands now. We can change it on the real. I know I plan to. I'll be willin to go to jail for whuppin my childs ass on the spot. And if none of my neighbors get on board with being the village that raises a child, then they better keep um from round my front gerry. It's time for us to go retro. These lil ones want to go retro with the J's and other tennies and such, then we gon go all the way retro.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                    I just seen a lot of black education today on ESPNU for LOI day. Not to bag on the SEC but you can certainly tell the difference between the kids the Big10 and the Sec recruits. Grant who is arguably the number 2 prospect in the nation signed with Ohio State, very respectable young man. A lot of the kids signing with the SEC you either can't understand them or just aren't very educated all that much. Reminds me of the FSU students that couldn't read on a third grade level. It's kind of sad that the SEC really doesn't care much about their student athletes. Churn em and burn em mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
                      It's a sad state of affairs fa sho Bruhnlaw. But it's in our hands now. We can change it on the real. I know I plan to. I'll be willin to go to jail for whuppin my childs ass on the spot. And if none of my neighbors get on board with being the village that raises a child, then they better keep um from round my front gerry. It's time for us to go retro. These lil ones want to go retro with the J's and other tennies and such, then we gon go all the way retro.
                      i agree, but along with the whuppun, there needs to be a conversation later. lots of parent just smack a kid and tell um no. kids need to understand what they did wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X