Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stones! and MIB present; The Big Pop/Rock 'N' Roll Myth Deconstruction Thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Gonna use tis thread to plug my favorite rock singer: Richie Kotzen. I think hes the most underrated artist ever. He unfortuneatly got hired by Poison when he was 20 to replace their guitarist, got kicked out, and ever having any chance at credibility went out the window. He was sigend to Geffen in the early 90s but they didn't know what to do with him. He's most well know as a guy that can play guitar a million miles an hour, but that **** doesnt matter, I think he's one of the best rock singwriters ever.

Comment

I regretted 5-starring this thread. I though this will gonna be a discussions of myth regarding songs/band statue. Instead it becomes just another post your fave rock band; which is quiet so easy to make...just post an unheard song from a named band with some complicated arrangements and presto! you quiet impressed people that you have a good taste on music.
        Last edited by led; 02-04-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
          I regretted 5-starring this thread. I though this will gonna be a discussions of myth regarding songs/band statue. Instead it becomes just another post your fave rock band; which is quiet so easy to make...just post an unheard song from a named band with some complicated arrangements and presto! you quiet impressed people that you have a good taste on music.
          What an immensely ******ed, shallow, narrow-minded, dim-witted, sententious post. The 'purpose' and intentions of this thread, were clearly outlined in the OP, and if the 'discussions' that took place in the succeeding pages offended your delicate sensibilities and your pretentious expectations, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Your 'input' will not be missed, you sorry sac-less ****.

I quote;

In this open-ended, freewheeling discussion process -- a spin-off from exchanges that have taken place in the "Currently Listening" thread -- insight will accrue and we will get somewhat close to the 'truth'.

MUSIC will be discussed with uncynical verve, innocence and excitement by your hosts and anyone else who wishes to join us when the momentum inevitably builds.

It's quite evident you lack an incisive reading comprehension because the discussion that has arisen is totally within the bounds of the thread's purpose.

FWIW, read the post above yours, by paulf, and he does exactly what your ******ed self is complaining about - "I though this will gonna be a discussions of myth regarding songs/band statue" - but because you are ******ed, it must have slipped past your radar.

Silly ****.

Comment

He may have thought I meant we should get to the bottom of aspects of rock mythology or something. Tour stories and the stories behind songs and whatnot, LOL.

I was just referring to the kind of discussions we've had in the "Currently Listening" thread (and privately) that went against the grain of so much critical myth or accepted critical wisdom, and trying to bring those convos into a thread that allowed for a bit more freedom to digress or go deeper (not wanting to derail the "Currently Listening" topic too much).

Anyway, this thing will run and run. Too soon to write it off as a failure. I'd refund his 5 star if I could, but the rating system is meaningless, the thread was whacked with 10+ 1 stars within a few hours of being started, so who cares about that. LMAO.

Comment

One starred.

Comment

Originally posted by REASON * View Post
                One starred.
                Ignored, to keep vermin out of threads they can't contribute anything to.

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
                FWIW, read the post above yours, by paulf, and he does exactly what your ******ed self is complaining about - "I though this will gonna be a discussions of myth regarding songs/band statue" - but because you are ******ed, it must have slipped past your radar.
                Great observation, BTW. I was gonna make it myself.

With that post, paulf touched on a facet of what I was getting at re. wishing to break down that whole inexplicable culture around rock; it's that same dishonest symbiosis between the industry the media and the audience that causes certain artists who had something to offer to fall between the cracks altogether, in every sense, dooming them to a status more obscure even than 'cult'.

A guy like Bobby Jameson is blogging around the internet this very day talking about what the music industry did to him, which is pretty incredible. A guy who was tipped to be some kind of star and important counter-cultural figure, who had the talent but who ended up (with respect) what some would consider a crazy old bum, a sub-cult figure lost even to most of the namechecking hipster crowd,

I mean, the 'cult' canon is as phoney an establishment as any, too.

And, of course, many artists fall through the cracks 'cause they suck. LOL.

led, let's just talk music and share.

From that, the kind of discussion you're talking about will happen naturally if people are posting about stuff they're into, which latter action is by itself a deconstruction and a kick against the BS. I've already seen loads to reply to and will do so in due course.

I don't mind being challenged, myself.

And at least there's a general music discussion thread in the absence of a dedicated sub-forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
                  Stones!, just another I owe you for now;

pulled together from official and unofficial releases, my archival compilation of every song put on tape in the year-long spate of Columbia sessions that produced 'Freewheelin'', an incredibly productive and artistically very important 12 months for Dylan, a developmental quantum-leap.
                  Revised edition; delete the original download and replace with this superior version (with improved key - top quality archiving, if I say so myself).

Bob Dylan's Blues; The Freewheelin' Recordings

All songs recorded at Columbia's Studio A;

April 24th, 1962
                  01) Going To New Orleans (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) +
                  02) Sally Gal (Bob Dylan) ~
                  03) Rambling, Gambling Willie (Bob Dylan) *
                  04) Corrina Corrina (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) +
                  05) The Death Of Emmett Till (Bob Dylan) +
                  06) Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues (Bob Dylan) +
                  07) (I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle (Hank Williams Sr. / Jimmie Davis) +

April 25th, 1962
                  08) Rocks And Gravel (Bob Dylan) +
                  09) Let Me Die In My Footsteps (Bob Dylan) *
                  10) Talkin' Hava Negeilah Blues (Bob Dylan) *
                  11) Sally Gal (Bob Dylan) +
                  12) Baby, Please Don't Go (Joseph Lee Williams) --
                  13) Milk Cow's Calf's Blues (Robert Johnson / James Arnold) +
                  14) Wichita (Going To Louisiana) (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) +
                  15) Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues (Bob Dylan) *
                  16) Milk Cow's Calf's Blues (Robert Johnson / James Arnold) +
                  17) Wichita (Going To Louisiana) (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) +

July 9th, 1962
                  18) Baby, I'm In The Mood For You (Bob Dylan) ^ }
                  19) Bob Dylan's Blues (Bob Dylan) @
                  20) Blowin' In The Wind (Bob Dylan) @
                  21) Quit Your Low Down Ways (Bob Dylan) *
                  22) Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance (Bob Dylan / Henry Thomas) @
                  23) Down The Highway (Bob Dylan) @
                  24) Worried Blues (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) *
                  25) Baby, I'm In The Mood For You (Bob Dylan) +

October 26th, 1962
                  26) Corrina Corrina (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) $
                  27) That's All Right, Mama (Arthur Crudup) +
                  28) That's All Right, Mama (Arthur Crudup) +
                  29) Corrina Corrina (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) @

November 1st, 1962
                  30) Rocks And Gravel (Bob Dylan) +

November 14th, 1962
                  31) Mixed Up Confusion (Bob Dylan) = # ^
                  32) Mixed Up Confusion (Bob Dylan) $ }
                  33) Mixed Up Confusion (Bob Dylan) +
                  34) Mixed Up Confusion (Bob Dylan) +
                  35) Don't Think Twice It's All Right (Bob Dylan) @
                  36) Ballad Of Hollis Brown (Bob Dylan) +
                  37) Kingsport Town (Trad. Arr. Bob Dylan) *
                  38) Whatcha Gonna Do (Bob Dylan) +

December 6th, 1962
                  39) Hero Blues (Bob Dylan) +
                  40) Whatcha Gonna Do (Bob Dylan) +
                  41) Oxford Town (Bob Dylan) @
                  42) I Shall Be Free (Bob Dylan) +
                  43) I Shall Be Free (Bob Dylan) @
                  44) I Shall Be Free (Bob Dylan) +
                  45) I Shall Be Free (Bob Dylan) +
                  46) Hero Blues (Bob Dylan) +
                  47) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Bob Dylan) @

April 24th, 1963
                  48) Girl From The North Country (Bob Dylan) @
                  49) Masters Of War (Bob Dylan) @
                  50) Walls Of Red Wing (Bob Dylan) *
                  51) Talking World War III Blues (Bob Dylan) @
                  52) Bob Dylan's Dream (Bob Dylan) @

Key:

• + denotes takes that still haven't appeared on an official release to date (sources for these are the following bootleg releases; 7 Years Of Bad Luck, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Outtakes and The Genuine Bootleg Series)

• $ denotes takes that appeared on the official 45 release Mixed Up Confusion b/w Corrina Corrina (Columbia Records 4-42656)

• @ denotes takes that appeared on the official The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan release

• = denotes takes that appeared on the official Mr. D's Collection #1 and Mr. D's Collection #2 limited edition releases

• # denotes takes that appeared on the official Masterpieces release

• ^ denotes takes that appeared on the 1985 issue of the official Biograph release

• } denotes takes that appeared on the 1997 reissue of the official Biograph release

• * denotes takes that appeared on the official The Bootleg Series; Vol. 1-3 release

• ~ denotes takes that appeared on the official No Direction Home; The Soundtrack; The Bootleg Series; Vol. 7 release

• -- denotes takes that appeared on the official Exclusive Outtakes From No Direction Home internet release

sidenote; the wiki for the 'Freewheelin'' outtakes makes one error, citing 'House Carpenter', which is, in fact, an outtake recorded in 1961 during sessions for Bob's first album

ps. rename extension on file to .rar

Comment

And for fun, because I always viewed ...Freewheelin'... as a botched product of weak track selection left over from the first slated lineup, artistic compromise -- CBS forced 'Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues' off the album -- and incoherency caused by creative rethink on the final released lineup, here's my version of how the album should've come out, mixed down to 2 files (each representing a side of a vinyl record);

I removed 6 of the poorer -- always hated 'Down The Highway', lame blues parody beneath Dylan's class -- or inappropriate -- 'Corrina Corrina' is lovely but isn't a fit for the album -- tracks and replaced them with 4 songs that were on the first unreleased lineup (cut out of the released sequence to make way for songs tracked with Tom Wilson on 4/24/63) plus 2 other top-drawer Dylan originals from the sessions.

The Alternate Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Album

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan LP released 5/1963;

all songs recorded at Columbia's Studio A and produced by John Hammond and Tom Wilson;

Side 1
                    01) Blowin' In The Wind (Bob Dylan)
                    02) Girl From The North Country (Bob Dylan)
                    03) Masters Of War (Bob Dylan)
                    04) Rocks And Gravel (Bob Dylan)
                    05) Oxford Town (Bob Dylan)
                    06) Hero Blues (Bob Dylan)
                    07) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Bob Dylan)

Side 2
                    08) Don't Think Twice It's All Right (Bob Dylan)
                    09) Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues (Bob Dylan)
                    10) Rambling, Gambling Willie (Bob Dylan)
                    11) Walls Of Red Wing (Bob Dylan)
                    12) Bob Dylan's Dream (Bob Dylan)
                    13) Let Me Die In My Footsteps (Bob Dylan)

Comment

For fellow Jackson fans - a solid live set from Michael & co. Note that Michael was sick during this night of the tour, but still managed to bang out an almost flawless vocal performance. Essential for hardcore Jackson fans.

The Jacksons
                      Live In Amsterdam
                      Feb 26, 1979

Dancing Machine
                      Things I Do For You
                      Ben
                      I Am Love
                      Keep On Dancing
                      Medley I Want You Back - ABC - The Love You Save
                      I'll Be There
                      Band Introduction
                      Enjoy Yourself