No announcement yet.

Religious people! Come in here!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    I believe in the Bible because I have faith. Without faith in what the word says and who the word says God is then I wouldn't believe at all. The same way just said that scientists believe that there is this and there is that. Science also says that in order for something to exist then it must have a creator. What makes you such a big believer in science? You stated yourself that these scientists don't know, but they believe.
    Scientists have telescopes + maths to base their theories on.

You have just faith.

Watch this video if you will, Michio Kaku is a great physicist

Comment

So the dozens upon dozens of prophies in the Bible that have come true in this world mean what then? The Bible was written by humans and inspired by God. Not just any dude was picking up a pen and pad back then saying "you know what, this is gonna go into the Bible."
      What has come true?

Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.

Here God tells Isaac that his descendents (Hebrews) will be as numerous as the stars. Considering the number of stars there are in the universe, that would have to be on the order of 10^20 Jewish people.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Christians say that this verse is a prophecy of Jesus' birth to a virgin. There are a couple problems with this prophecy...First, virgin in this verse is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word "almah", which actually means "young woman". A young woman is not necessarily a virgin. "Bethulah" would have been the correct word to use if the author meant virgin. Second, nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus referred to as Immanuel.

Isaiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.

Damascus is still inhabited today with over a million people, and hardly a ruinous heap.

Isaiah 19:4-5 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts. And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.

The river mentioned here is the Nile. The Nile is still one of Egypt's greatest natural resource.

Isaiah 19:18 In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts; one shall be called, The city of destruction.

The Canaanite language has never been spoken in Egypt, and is now an extinct.

Isaiah 52:1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

There are uncircumcised people living in Jerusalem even today.

Ezekiel 29:10-11 Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years.

Never in its long history has Egypt ever been uninhabited for forty years.

Amos 9:15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

Many times, Jews have been pulled up out of their land. The ownership of their land is still being fought for.

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Nineveh was never overthrown. Why? Because God changed his mind in verse 3:10, despite what Malachi 3:6, Numbers 23:19 and Ezekiel 24:14 says about God never changing his mind.

Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Zechariah 11:12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.

Christians say that this prophecy is was fulfilled when Judas received 30 pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. Matthew 27:9 recites this verse, but incorrectly credits Jeremiah with the prophecy.

Matthew 1:22-23 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Again, Jesus is never referred to as Emmanuel (Immanuel).

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Nowhere in the Old Testament is such a prophecy found, so how could such a one be fulfilled?

Matthew 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

There is no passage in the Old Testament that can be attributed to what Jesus is saying here.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Jesus states that all the signs marking the end of the world in Matthew 24 would be fulfilled before his generation ended. That generation ended 2000 years ago, and the world has not come to an end, neither has all those signs been fulfilled.

Matthew 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value.

This prophecy was never spoken by Jeremiah.

Comment

Originally posted by dodmoor View Post
        So Christians just blindly look past millions of years of carefully preserved fossils you know actual evidence for a magical book wrote by storytelling humans?
        So you just blindly look past the fact that you are alive and this world is real to not believe in God. I don't believe anyone in this world actually believes that God doesn't exist, they just try to convince themselves that he doesn't cause they want to live their lives the way they want and not how God wants. If there was no God then who is to say what is right and what is wrong. How are you to tell a pedophile that he doesn't have the right to sleep with a child, or tell a murderer that killing is wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
          Scientists have telescopes + maths to base their theories on.

You have just faith.

Watch this video if you will, Michio Kaku is a great physicist
          I have the entire world around me, not just faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
            I made no mistake at all. If you are going to create a thread for Christians specifically don't just mock them, gang bang them, and spit on them for your own amusement and play it off to an actual attempt at actual discussion.

It's been done 1 million times in the history of the internet. People trying to actually understand others takes on things is very rare.
            This thread isn't specifically for Christians is it? It is for religious people in general. I don't see what the difference is between this and some of the comments made against atheism in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dodmoor View Post
              What has come true?
              Sorry I just laugh at this. Do you know how long people like you have been trying to discredit the Bible but yet it is still here. The number one selling book of all time and yet it frustrates you that people believe in God. Why is that? Why does it bother you if you don't believe at all? It's because you know God exists, you just don't want God to be who the Bible says he is, cause then you'd have to live your life according to His word.

Comment

If there was no God then who is to say what is right and what is wrong. How are you to tell a pedophile that he doesn't have the right to sleep with a child,

Comment

Originally posted by Jambo boy View Post
                  This thread isn't specifically for Christians is it? It is for religious people in general. I don't see what the difference is between this and some of the comments made against atheism in this thread.
                  I see no interest on either side of the "debate" at understanding their own position deeper or trying to understand other opinions. That's why I have pretty much stayed out of it. It's just more "us vs them" pat yourself on the back nonsense.

All people, including me, have an inherent fear of genuinely analyzing themselves at a deeper level and examining human existence. When this happens there is no desire for debating on the internet as it is an internal struggle and has nothing to do with opinions of others or telling ourselves how correct and smart we are and how stupid you are.

Comment

If there is a being behind all this its far beyond our comprehension. Trying to associate a human form to "God" is just an attempt to understand something that we'll never understand.

Comment

So you just blindly look past the fact that you are alive and this world is real to not believe in God. I don't believe anyone in this world actually believes that God doesn't exist, they just try to convince themselves that he doesn't cause they want to live their lives the way they want and not how God wants. If there was no God then who is to say what is right and what is wrong. How are you to tell a pedophile that he doesn't have the right to sleep with a child, or tell a murderer that killing is wrong?
                      That has nothing to do with god.

Those are acts of deviance, every culture will have their own set of rules, some things in this culture will be different than in others. Nothing is deviant unless it is labelled so.

Comment

Working...
                      X