Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REQ: The Promise - HBO Documentary!!!! THE MAKING OF DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
    From the beginning of the live version I have;

Gram - "This is an old song I did with the Byrds when I was in fear of getting my life taken away from me."
    , dude loved to romanticize. I've never heard of a satisfactory explanation for that line, but maybe there was something in it, I dunno.

His words to his friend as he lay in a bloody, broken mess on the highway after a motorcycle accident?

"Take me on a long white ride..."

He survived. But I guess the man was never meant to be long for this world.

Comment

Then there was his account of meeting Elvis at a Presley show when he was a boy,

(from memory, so maybe not verbatim)

"Hi, you're Elvis Presley and I'm Gram Parsons, the kid who buys your records."

Comment

Originally posted by R O A ☪ View Post
        Then there was his account of meeting Elvis at a Presley show when he was a boy,

(from memory, so maybe not verbatim)

"Hi, you're Elvis Presley and I'm Gram Parsons, the kid who buys your records."

Good one.

Comment

His Merle Haggard interpretations are an essential part of the picture, too, in my mind,

^^ Brutal. His is one of those voices that might take time to reveal its depths, he might not seem like anything special to a lot of people at first, but the more you listen, the more you will listen, he just keeps drawing you back and, before you know it, you're hooked. When Gram's voice cracks, it's the most beautiful thing. He changed my whole approach to singing overnight when I was a kid (that's pretty much still what I was when I started listening).

In Haggard's words (from memory again, so maybe not exact), "the kid was a pussy, just a real nice college kid".

Comment

Just heard Zah Blues for the first time. Great song. You reckon you can find me a link to the album that has it?

You're right about his voice. It's slowly growin' on me.

Comment

Sure thing (a bunch of the material you'll have on 'Sacred Hearts...'),

http://www.mediafire.com/?mdgwyfdgfbc
              http://www.mediafire.com/?5udhmt0dzzg

There's another recording of 'Zah's Blues on the 'Lost Recordings...' disc, but that's a set to check out if you dig his main body of work.

Another idle comment,

'Kiss The Children' off GP (though not written by Gram, but by a friend of his),

when he sings "the gun that's hanging on the kitchen wall, dear, is like a road-sign pointing straight to satan's cage"...chills.

He could channel some seriously heavy energy when he felt like it.

Comment

The Fallen Angel film is one to see, too, should you get the chance,

the latter-day industry nonen****** doing talking-head spots are annoying (Peter Buck et al), but it's a good film overall and you get contributions from Gram's peers and the guys and girls who knew and played with him,

trailer,

And the dude from Jackass did his little movie, Grand Theft Parsons (basically a glorification of the deceased Gram's kidnap and desert cremation).

Comment

I'll check out the film, brother. Just finished downloading the 2 links. Gotta do something for UNI. I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
                    I'll check out the film, brother. Just finished downloading the 2 links. Gotta do something for UNI. I'll be back.
                    NP, man. Do what you gotta do.

Just sharing this stuff and shooting the bull about it lights my fire for the music all over again, brings back to mind a lot of cool things. Even though I'm not a constant listener anymore doesn't mean I love it any the less, every note and word of the music is seared in my mind, probably will always be with me.

Thanks for kicking it, Akhi.

Comment

Originally posted by R O A ☪ View Post
                      NP, man. Do what you gotta do.

Just sharing this stuff and shooting the bull about it lights my fire for the music all over again, brings back to mind a lot of cool things. Even though I'm not a constant listener anymore doesn't mean I love it any the less, every note and word of the music is seared in my mind, probably will always be with me.

Thanks for kicking it, Akhi.

E-Milli still up for grabs.

BTW MIB, I've got around to listening to some of Parson's tracks. Still have Zah's Blues, Hickory Wind, Brass Buttons, Wild Horses stuck in my head.

Another song I liked instantly was Older Guys. Haven't heard much else though, been busy studying.

Comment

Working...
                      X