Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you religious and do you believe in God?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
    Science itself can make sense of everything but as I said it's restricted by it's user i.e human beings. We couldn't find out the flora and fauna of any given planet in a galaxy on the other side of the universe as we haven't the ability to get there. So you could say it's beyond our understanding or ability to understand.
    Not yet.

We've just started as far modern science goes. How long has it been now that Television's have been created. 200 Years ago, nobody could even imagine seeing other people in a squared box talking and moving, yet alone computers and youtube videos.

How about flying into space? Just started that too, we've got ways to go but to say we're already finished and there is nothing new to learn is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
      Not yet.

We've just started as far modern science goes. How long has it been now that Television's have been created. 200 Years ago, nobody could even imagine seeing other people in a squared box talking and moving, yet alone computers and youtube videos.

How about flying into space? Just started that too, we've got ways to go but to say we're already finished and there is nothing new to learn is absurd.
      lol we ain't finished but to think that we will ever make sense of everything is silly.............

Comment

Yes, I believe in god.

Comment

lol we ain't finished but to think that we will ever make sense of everything is silly.............
          Not as silly as attributing our existence to a personified "God".

Comment

Most of us do, even Atheists. But, do we all follow and obey God's Commandments?

Comment

Not as silly as attributing our existence to a personified "God".
              Hence why I don't believe in God..........

Comment

Hence why I don't believe in God..........
                Ah good for you, just read your earlier posts in this thread. I understand what you're saying, some things may never be explained through science, I'm just saying if there was a poll on what to pin your hopes on and believe in, it would be research of science for me. It's either that or none of the above with Religion, spirtuality etc,. being other choices. I rather read a book based on science than Religion.

This is where I'm coming from:

Atheist to weak Deist (there maybe another term out there I could use that applies other than Deist).

However me believing that there might be a Creator-like power out there that started to shape the universe, has no bearing on my life since I don't believe it intervenes into our daily lives or that the term "God" even applies to that power, since that is a made up word by humans to try and personify a creator and make him more Human-like. It goes without saying that our oldest religions, mythologies etc,. didn't have a good sense of imagination back in the day.

You can start a much more realistic religion today that revolves around the "faith" that when you die, you get reincarnated on another Galaxy, on a brand new planet, as a brand new intelligent specie. Seems more reasonable than being reincarnated as a Goat on earth, or going into another dimension known as heaven. Seems like a waist of space and if you use your imagination, you can include the mysterious universe that's already around us that we'll never be able to reach with spaceship's in our lifetime or perhaps ever, into your belief system of LIfe after Death.

Why heaven & hell on earth, when there are millions of Galaxies out there to choose from, that we know already exist.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  There certainly is something more to the Universe than our meagre understanding encapsulates. The question then becomes: What are you going to do about it? Are you going to say "Ah we don't understand it" and give up? Or are we going to say "Let's try to understand it?"

Essentially that's what science is: An acknowledgment of the parts of the universe that are beyond our understanding together with a commitment to understanding those things.

On the contrary there is no human activity nobler than the alleviation of suffering. This fetishizing of suffering undertaken by religion is one of the things I detest about it. Human beings have a very real opportunity to prevent suffering and therefore have an obligation to do so.

Absurd statements like "Maybe the most important aspect of being human is to experience suffering" is simply making a rather weak excuse to avoid your duty to prevent it.
                  Joy is that much sweeter when you've suffered to get it. Ask any athlete. When you fight for it, and then achieve it the feeling is that much stronger. Hard to know what true happiness is if you haven't felt an opposit emotion. Like it or not we're emotionous creatures no point in hiding that fact. Embrace it all I say.

Comment

I don't believe in life after death.

On the other hand a lot of my morality is based on experience balanced with religion. And I like a bit of the mythology of religion as its fun to write about and provides a good insight into psychology at times.

Also I'm quite into Buddhist teachings even though I'm muslim. I can justify this as muslims believe in 124000 messengers coming to the people of the world before Muhammad. Therefore Buddha can count as one.

Islam just doesn't like iconising of folk, by and large. Which is where Islam and Buddhism differ in morality.
                    Last edited by omarinbox; 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Science itself can make sense of everything but as I said it's restricted by it's user i.e human beings. We couldn't find out the flora and fauna of any given planet in a galaxy on the other side of the universe as we haven't the ability to get there. So you could say it's beyond our understanding or ability to understand.
                      You're missing a key word here: "Yet". Look at the capabilities that we have developed in a few short years. 200 years ago we had no means of power apart from muscle or wind, now flying across vast oceans is commonplace. Fifty years ago the cheapest method of sending information to another country was to write it down and physically send it. Now I can communicate with someone on the other side of the planet in an instant, and it's free! Thirty years ago the first one-gig computer storage device was released by IBM, it was the size of a refrigerator and cost $40,000. Now I can buy a hard disk drive the size of a paperback novel with a thousand times the capacity for under a hundred bucks. Twenty years ago the only means of getting into space was using the resources of the two most powerful nations on earth. Now it's a matter for private enterprise. Ten years ago a probe on Mars was science fiction. Now we've sent robots on exploratory missions...

Science and technology are moving at an exponential rate of acceleration. Will we ever examine flora and fauna on the other side of the universe? Carl Sagan can help:

The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves... we will one day venture to the stars
                      Joy is that much sweeter when you've suffered to get it. Ask any athlete. When you fight for it, and then achieve it the feeling is that much stronger.
                      Anybody who equates the training an athlete endures with suffering has never experienced suffering. Suffering is starvation, oppression, torture, disease, misery... not saying "Oh coach... ANOTHER lap!?"

The child who is born starved and endures a short miserable painful existence at the side of its mother's corpse is in no position to then say "Ah but it was all worth it for the joy at the end!" unless you want to posit an entirely fictitious and entirely convenient afterlife in which all dogs go to heaven.

Comment

Working...
                      X