Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post

Project Nim

This was definitely the better of the two documentaries, IMO. For those of you not familiar with it, "Project Nim" is a documentary based upon the research experiment conducted by Herbert Terrace at Columbia University in the 1970s.

The experiment was to take newborn chimpanzee from it's mother, have it raised by a human family, and attempt to teach it language to see if inter-species communication was truly possible. Since chimps cannot vocalize the way human beings do, it was decided that Nim (The chimp, named Nim Chimpsky after famous linguist and philosopher Noam Chomsky) would learn sign language.

The film is (thankfully) loaded with tons of footage captured throughout the experiment, and covers most of Nim's life over the course of many years, as well as a compelling look at the charting of his progress learning how to communicate with his handlers.

This documentary is easily the best documentary I've seen in the last 3 years. It's a gripping, visceral, unflinching view of the life of one very special chimpanzee, as well as the human beings who basically destroyed his life. Furthermore, it forces the viewer to confront not only their idealized views of chimpanzees being "human" animals whom we place a special connection upon, but also the effect of animal research as a whole.

****ing brilliant film, and I would highly recommend it to anybody reading this.

9/10.

Will check it out.

Comment

• Bad Teacher - 5/10. Some decent laughs, decent shots of Diaz. . . Your average raunchy comedy. Worth a watch if you have subscription to Starz!

Apocalypto - 10/10. One of the best movies I have ever seen. Excellent acting, cinematography, and just overall amazing movie. . .

Big Mommas House: Like father like son. 5/10. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I am a fan in general of the "Big Momma's House" series. Worth a watch if you have HBO.

Gladiator (NOT Russel Crowe movie; the one with Cuba Gooding Jr.). 7/10. Has a real "early 90's gritty urban feel." I think it's a good boxing movie. Nice action, pretty good story, and like I said, that somewhat nostalgic grittiness.

Comment

• "Attack the Block"

A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion.

[img][/img]

Really great movie. I think this movie is going to be a future classic. Its got action, it's got comedy, it's got a story, the CGI is done well. This movie is a must watch and even a buy for future watches.

Rocco Rating 9 out of 10
        Last edited by rocco1252; 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• "Contagion"

Soon after her return from a business trip to Hong Kong, Beth Emhoff dies from what is a flu or some other type of infection. Her young son dies later the same day. Her husband Mitch however seems immune. Thus begins the spread of a deadly infection. For doctors and administrators at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, several days pass before anyone realizes the extent or gravity of this new infection. They must first identify the type of virus in question and then find a means of combating it, a process that will likely take several months. As the contagion spreads to millions of people worldwide, societal order begins to break down as people panic.
          [/img]
          [img]

Thought this movie was very well made, it followed a good time line, had great character development and kept your attention. In the end you want to ask yourself is this really true or totally far-fetched? You decide..

Rocco Rating 7.5 out of 10
          Last edited by rocco1252; 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rocco1252 View Post
            "Attack the Block"

A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion.

[img][/img]

Really great movie. I think this movie is going to be a future classic. Its got action, it's got comedy, it's got a story, the CGI is done well. This movie is a must watch and even a buy for future watches.

Rocco Rating 9 out of 10

Lol I LOVED this movie too!

It reminded me of one of those adventure type movies as a kid or something. . BUt an "R" rated version. . .

Comment

• the grey was good... the balance between human drama and an edge of your seat suspense movie was very well executed... the ending was quite ambiguous but overall there is not much to complain about the film... 8 / 10

chronicle also hit all the right notes for me... it was somehow sometimes too "carrie" for it's own good but i can forgive it... 7 / 10

Comment

"Super 8"

During the summer of 1979, a group of friends witness a train crash and investigate subsequent unexplained events in their small town.

Honestly after seeing previews and reading what the critics have said I was very skeptical of this film not giving it much of a chance at being any good but I was very delighted at how well this movie was made. To me it had like a Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind / Stand By Me feel to it. It was very well made, I thought the acting was great, the story was great and so was the over all CGI. The only thing to me that could have been better was the ending and a few parts that were just way far fetched compared to the rest of the movie. A definite watch and could see myself even sitting down to watch it again. I think this movie will do very well over time unlike some that you forget about right after your done watching it.

Rocco Rating 8.5 out of 10
                I really liked it, but everyone i know thought it was crap. Reminded me of 80's Speilberg.

Martha Marcy May Marlene

Girl escapes from a cult and struggles to live with her sister whilst having flashbacks at her time with the cult and questioning what is dream or reality with increasing paranoia.

Very slow moving with a frustrating ending that haunts you. Overall, and excellent film that some will love and others hate.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                  I really liked it, but everyone i know thought it was crap. Reminded me of 80's Speilberg.

Martha Marcy May Marlene

Girl escapes from a cult and struggles to live with her sister whilst having flashbacks at her time with the cult and questioning what is dream or reality with increasing paranoia.

Very slow moving with a frustrating ending that haunts you. Overall, and excellent film that some will love and others hate.

Sounds interesting. . . Im going to check it out. . .

I agree with SUper 8 - not a perfect movie - but definitely reminiscent of 80's Speilberg: 7.5/10.

Comment

• "In Time"

In a future where people stop aging at 25, but are engineered to live only one more year, having the means to buy your way out of the situation is a shot at immortal youth. Here, Will Salas finds himself accused of murder and on the run with a hostage - a connection that becomes an important part of the way against the system.

[img][/img]

So watched this movie last night and must say I was pleasantly surprised. Good story, good action, good cast, good character development. For a former singer (timeberlake) turned actor I can honestly say he did very good as a leading role. The past few movies I have seen with him were very good and he pulls off his characters very well. I definitely think he is going to get even better as the years roll on and even look forward to seeing him in the movies especially the action films. I recommend checking this movie out it's really a good watch.

Rocco Rating 8 out of 10

Comment

"In Time"

In a future where people stop aging at 25, but are engineered to live only one more year, having the means to buy your way out of the situation is a shot at immortal youth. Here, Will Salas finds himself accused of murder and on the run with a hostage - a connection that becomes an important part of the way against the system.

[img][/img]

So watched this movie last night and must say I was pleasantly surprised. Good story, good action, good cast, good character development. For a former singer (timeberlake) turned actor I can honestly say he did very good as a leading role. The past few movies I have seen with him were very good and he pulls off his characters very well. I definitely think he is going to get even better as the years roll on and even look forward to seeing him in the movies especially the action films. I recommend checking this movie out it's really a good watch.

Rocco Rating 8 out of 10
                      Is this a re-make of Logan's Run...?

Comment

Working...
                      X