• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zombi 2

an unreal zombie/horror masterpiece from the legendary
    Lucio Fulci.

10/10

Comment

• Rare Exports is in the same vein as Trollhunter, but it's not a mockumentary. It has the same modern day meets fariytale feel, though.
      I had higher hopes for this movie, but it was still fun.

8.0/10.

Comment

• Devil

A group of people are trapped in an elevator and the Devil is mysteriously amongst them.

The description about sums this film up, very low budget, not very action packed, poor casting, poor script, what else can I say. I read some good reviews about this film and gave it a chance, it didnt really live up to what I read about it. Sort of a "Phone Booth" type film (which I liked) but far worse in every way.

Rocco Rating 5 out of 10

Comment

• The Gods must be crazy

A comedy classic 10/10

Great slapstick and enduring characters.

And best of all?

It's aged really well

Classic

Comment

• Let Me In

A Scanner Darkly

TRON

wtf.

The Social Network

The Fast 5

Super 8

Cowboys & Aliens

Amores Perros

City of God

Jet Li's Hero

Planet Terror

Death Proof

Inglorious Basterds

Last edited by Ether; 10-23-2011, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• The Next Three Days

Lara Brennan is arrested for murdering her boss with whom she had an argument. It seems she was seen leaving the scene of the crime and her fingerprints were on the murder weapon. Her husband, John would spend the next few years trying to get her released, but there's no evidence that negates the evidence against her. And when the strain of being separated from her family, especially her son, gets to her, John decides to break her out. So he does a lot of research to find a way

Well this movie held my attention greatly, it was just over 2 hours long and was sort of slow to begin but as the movie progressed it got more and more entertaining. This movie stars Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, Olivia Wilde and a few other big names. The build up throughout the movie was great and would recommend this film to others.

Rocco Rating 7 out of 10
              Last edited by rocco1252; 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                Saw Drive again

'Drive', a film by Nicholas Winding Refn (Bronson), has the makings of a cult classic. Ryan Gosling plays a man who simply 'drives'. He performs stunts in vehicles for Hollywood films, but he makes his real money as a getaway driver. 'Drive' is a film of two acts; the first, in which the driver becomes involved with a married woman, Irene, and her son, sets up the second, in which he must protect her from chillingly ruthless mobsters.
                ‘Drive’ is one of those cinematic experiences that you pray will never end; so great is the atmosphere created in the film that it invades your thoughts for days after having watched it. Something about the slow pace, sleek visuals and electronic soundtrack transport you into this glossy yet dangerous LA underworld. The film is clearly influenced by classic such as ‘Bullitt’, ‘Goodfellas’, and ‘The Good the Bad and the Ugly’. Despite this, 'Drive' is an absolutely unique piece of cinema which is certainly no less than the sum of its parts. Unlike many recent Hollywood offerings, 'Drive' is a film that is directorially bold. Nicolas Winding Refn seeks both clarity and originality in the film’s key moments. The opening scene is a getaway chase, but instead of fast cuts and meaningless explosions, Refn treats his audience with more respect, creating a slow, tense escape scene which is vastly more satisfying than a simple display of technology. The reason this works is because the film carries genuine emotional suspense, and we care about what happens to the characters, something that is actually rather rare.
                Gosling's character, known only as 'Driver', is a superhero of sorts. Much like Spiderman or Batman, he has two personas: the quiet, caring stunt driver by day, and, when he dons his scorpion jacket, the cold, calculated getaway driver by night. As a character he is easy to admire. He is often silent, always thinking, and handles danger with calmness and skill. Despite the fact that he is on the wrong side of the law, towards the end of the film we see the driver as a victim of his own nature and sympathise. Irene's husband gets into serious trouble on release from prison, and the driver offers his assistance only to become tangled up in a seemingly never-ending web of organised crime. Be warned; the story darkens, yet of course continues to enthral.

***** (5 stars)

Verdict: A violent, stylish film with a real heart; Refn is a director to keep an eye out for.

I love it.

Comment

• The Tillman Story

Pat Tillman never thought of himself as a hero. His choice to leave a multimillion-dollar football contract and join the military wasn't done for any reason other than he felt it was the right thing to do. The fact that the military manipulated his tragic death in the line of duty into a propaganda tool is unfathomable and thoroughly explored in Amir Bar-Lev's riveting and enraging documentary

I found this documentary pretty well made, although in my opinion it was more of a personal documentary than about the events that occurred when he was killed. Kinda makes you wonder though if the people who aren't big names in the military get the truth told in events like this to their family or not. If it happens to one than it could happen to many others.

Rocco Rating 6.5 out of 10

Comment

• The Lives of Others (2006)

Takes place in early '80s East Germany before the fall of the Wall. The government is all up in the ass of artists, spying on them so no one acts up. This one dude is assigned to monitor a playwright and the guy really starts getting into the artist's life. The movie is well made, but doesn't have a lot of action if that's your thing. I dug it. 8 out of 10.

The Beat That My Heart Skipped (2005)

Basically a stylish French remake of James Toback's Fingers. Some thug type goes around roughing people up so real estate deals can go through. One night he runs into his old piano teacher he had when he was a kid who motivates the guy to start taking lessons from an Asian chick who just arrived in the country. He's basically trying to turn his life around and trying to be a pianist but the street life keeps trying to pull him back in. (There's some mature half Moroccan chick I think is super hot in a small role, which is a bonus.) 8 out of 10.

Fire and Ice (1983)

Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed in the art considering this is a Ralph Bashki and Frank Frazetta collabo, two legends. But they didn't have some huge Disney budget so they did the best they could. Actually, the movement of the animated characters is pretty realistic (they shot it with real actors and the artists basically traced over the film footage). Anyways, this is basically He-Man for adults. Basically this He-Man dude is trying to save a really thick bubble butted princess in a thong who has been kidnapped. The movie is like less than 80 minutes and it moves along pretty well. I dunno, I liked it. 7 out of 10.

Comment

• Bunracku

Interesting movie, the filming and sets are unique. its like your watching a pupet show with real people almost. the story and acting sucked a bit but it still remains an interesting movie.

if you liked kill bill and sin city you will probably like this.

Rare exports

God damn subtitles!!!!... ****ty movie overall, no where near as good as i was hoping. santas an evil devil, satan or something and hes frozen and buried in this mountain. people start to dig santa out and santas elves, start killing animals and people.

if you liked troll hunter you might be interezsted in this....but its likely your not going to like this movie.

Blue collar

Not one of pryors best.

Comment

Working...
                      X