Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Assassins (2010) -- this has got to be one of, if not the best samurai film since the '70s. Breath-taking stylised action, great cinematography and a strong thread to tie it all together: 8/10

Limitless (2011) -- I gotta be honest, I wasn't that excited about this film when it first started doing the promotional rounds. I think, in retrospect, this was probably due to the film being frequently mis-marketed as a balls-to-the-wall action blockbuster, a genre I treat with some suspicion by default. What Limitless actually is, however, is a stylish sci-fi thriller, not to be taken too seriously, just a lot of fun. And Bradley Cooper is a very charismatic lead: 7/10

Enter The Void (2009) -- although the film is rather flatulent and frequently crosses the line from transgressive to crude, its visual merits are undeniable. Visionary, even. Irreversible remains Noé's best work, but Enter The Void is an interesting viewing experience to say the least: 7/10

Easy Rider (1969) -- one of the most important American films of all time, it marked the changing of the guard from the Old Hollywood to the New, ushering in a golden age that lasted over a decade and produced some of the greatest American films of all time. Historic significance aside, Easy Rider has aged respectably. Fonda and Hopper are a bit awkward and the plot a bit meandering, but Jack Nicholson's entrance about half way through really serves to inject some life into the tale. The real star of the film, though, is the sprawling American landscape: 9/10
    Last edited by S.G.; 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• The feel good movie of the century. 8/10

Comment

• Rec - 9.5/10

Rec 2 - 9/10

-Definitely better than Quarantine.

Comment

• Rendition

After a terrorist bombing kills an American envoy in a foreign country. An investigation leads to an Egyptian who has been living in the United States for years and who is married to an American. He is apprehended when he's on his way home. The U.S. sends him to the country where the incident occurs for interrogation which includes torture. An American CIA operative observes the interrogation and is at odds whether to keep it going or to stop it. In the meantime, the man's wife raises hell to find him despite being pregnant but the person behind this refuses to help or give her any information.

This movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal , Reese Witherspoon, and Meryll Streep I thought this movie was very similar to the movie Unthinkable with its basic plot, what was good and gave me a better perspective on the movie and the events that transpired through the movie was the short biography in the special features that talked about the actual rendition program and talked with about a few individuals that this actually happened to.

Rocco Rating 7 out of 10

Comment

• Source Code

An action thriller centered on a soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown man and discovers he's part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train.

This movie was a mix of Groundhog Day, Time Cop and Quantum Leap all in one with Jake Gyllenhaal as the main character trying to stop a bomb on a train. The movie was pretty well action packed if you dont mind seeing the same scene on multiple occasions learning more about the situation each time. The ending was pretty neat and the movie held my interest throughout. A good one time watch

Rocco Rating 7 out of 10

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom.
              Phantom Punch 5/10
              DAMN was that movie bad or what?

I didn't realize most of Liston's major fights took place in venues smaller than boxing gyms. A USA network movie wouldve had a bigge budget

Comment

• Fight Club

3/10

Written by a queer obsessed with **** while masquerading as a tough guy trying to live out some sort of adolescent fantasy about fighting back against tormentors. I think anyone who thinks this is a good movie deserves a tremendous beating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fooly Cooly View Post
                  Fight Club

3/10

Written by a queer obsessed with **** while masquerading as a tough guy trying to live out some sort of adolescent fantasy about fighting back against tormentors. I think anyone who thinks this is a good movie deserves a tremendous beating.
                  Say what you will about the story (and I agree, it's angsty, pseudo-nihilist tripe; although it has a certain pulpy appeal), but the direction is impeccable. I felt the same way about The Social Network, which Fincher also directed -- the story wasn't up to par with the craftsmanship.

My favourite Fincher film is Zodiac.

Comment

• This movie is entertaining as hell. Great heist movie based on a true story. Highly recommended.

Comment

• Red State.

Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                      X