No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road (2009)

This was recommended by people here in the Lounge with the warning that it's depressing as hell and, boy, they weren't lying. Basically the premise is that the world is dying... there's no more food, there's earthquakes, it keeps getting colder and colder. Most of the population has died and the survivors are trying whatever they can to stay alive... and some of them are going to exteme measures to make sure they stay alive.

The story follows a father and young son. Viggo Mortensen is the dad and gives another solid performance. The kid does have a resemblance to Charlize Theron who plays the mother and overall was OK in the movie... sometimes I watch a movie with kids in it and if they're annoying I get annoyed watching it... this kid does whine a bit but then again it's the end of the fucking world and of course the kid is scared and it's actually kind of realistic how he is portrayed in the movie.

The movie is dark and based on a book that is supposed to be good (same dude who wrote No Country For Old Men). Saw some idiotic comments on youtube complaining that movie is "boring" and has "no action." This ain't supposed to be Terminator 5. Some people complained they didn't know what this movie is about. It seems civilization has already started dying.

9 out of 10.

Comment

• Watched The Matrix again last night, it isn't that good, it was amazing when I was 14, wish I hadn't watched it, it's ruined it a little bit. It's funny looking back at how new and exciting the phones in it looked, oooh a slidey bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
        The Rules of Attraction (2002)

Re-watched this the other night just to get a super hot Shannyn Sossamon fix (Jessica Biel looks fantastic doing blow in this movie too). This movie is based on a Bret Easton Ellis book, which I never read, but supposedly one of the main characters is supposed to be the brother of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. That should give you an idea of what the characters are like in this flick... crazy.

Director Roger Avery delivers big time. The movie is pretty inventive. It's about spoiled rich college kids and their decadent ways. It explores how the person you fall in love with is usually in love with somebody else who is love with somebody else... if that makes sense.

Anyways, if you haven't seen it, check it out. The movie has a lot of gay shit in it but it doesn't matter it's funny as hell. There's a hilarious dude whose name is Richard but insists everybody calls him "Dick." Lmao.

My favorite scene is probably this one character's 2 min recap of his European vacation. It's awesome.

9 out of 10.

Shannyn Sossamon can get it

Comment

• Scott Pilgrim versus The World 2010

Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart.
          The tag of the movie is *An epic of epic epicness* at which point I was thinkin *well there's a lack of modesty*. It features Michael Cera and I find him really annoying. After the first couple of minutes the movie oozez of hipster nerdy trendiness if that makes any sense. Tributes to old video games are involved.

But as it moves on it actually gets pretty good, it has a fast pace, the supporting cast does a good job and the directing and montage are a nice change from the norm.

7.5/10

Comment

• The Fighter (2010)

I'm gonna give this 10/10 because I enjoyed it from start to finish and think it's one of the best new movies that I've seen recently. I'm definitely gonna see it again to judge it better but as a boxing fan this movie was the ****.

First off, there will be some among us who will complain and nitpick everything. They will tell you that Micky Ward didn't sweat as much as Wahlberg or that this brother Dickie Ecklund was missing more teeth than Bale. They will also say the fight scenes are fake... no shit, it's a movie.

The fights scenes to me were really well directed. Loved how they recreated the ESPN tv look and there's a sequence where we see Ward switch opponents in the ring... nice camera trick. There might be a few seconds of questionable "punches" but in no way did it detract from the movie. This is a well made movie.

Don't think this is a SPOILER but some might think so... so don't read the next sentence: The movie ends with the Neary fight and only mentions the Gatti trilogy as a post script right before the credits. This has been the topic of a lot of discussion, but really the film has a good ending in my opinion. I think the movie is two hours long and I would have watched another hour just to see the Gatti fights, but the way it ends now is still good.

Really this film is about family moreso than boxing. It was a lot funnier than I expected too. The scenes involving Ward's sisters are pretty hilarious. Everybody's performances are spot on, but the actress who plays Ward's mom probably gives the best performance even though Bale and Walhberg are very good too. Actually, I don't rate Bale and Wahlberg that highly as actors, but they really deliver in this big time.

The movie is a lot of fun. A must see.

Comment

The Fighter (2010)

I'm gonna give this 10/10 because I enjoyed it from start to finish and think it's one of the best new movies that I've seen recently. I'm definitely gonna see it again to judge it better but as a boxing fan this movie was the ****.

First off, there will be some among us who will complain and nitpick everything. They will tell you that Micky Ward didn't sweat as much as Wahlberg or that this brother Dickie Ecklund was missing more teeth than Bale. They will also say the fight scenes are fake... no shit, it's a movie.

The fights scenes to me were really well directed. Loved how they recreated the ESPN tv look and there's a sequence where we see Ward switch opponents in the ring... nice camera trick. There might be a few seconds of questionable "punches" but in no way did it detract from the movie. This is a well made movie.

Don't think this is a SPOILER but some might think so... so don't read the next sentence: The movie ends with the Neary fight and only mentions the Gatti trilogy as a post script right before the credits. This has been the topic of a lot of discussion, but really the film has a good ending in my opinion. I think the movie is two hours long and I would have watched another hour just to see the Gatti fights, but the way it ends now is still good.

Really this film is about family moreso than boxing. It was a lot funnier than I expected too. The scenes involving Ward's sisters are pretty hilarious. Everybody's performances are spot on, but the actress who plays Ward's mom probably gives the best performance even though Bale and Walhberg are very good too. Actually, I don't rate Bale and Wahlberg that highly as actors, but they really deliver in this big time.

arrrr man i really want to see this movie....altough i do find it odd out of all the boxers they could have made a movie about they chose micky ward and add to that theres barely a mention of his career defining fights with gatti....but i hope this movie is as good as it looks...

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
                Inception

This one has a great cast, with top actors like Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Marion Cotillard and Tom Berenger. One of my favorites Michael Caine plays the main character's grandfather.

The direction and cinematography is excellent throughout. The dialogue is okay, not as trite as we often find in thrillers.

I found the first hour or so of Inception to be thought-provoking and interesting, but the chase in the van and the scenes where they fight off the gunmen in the mountains were rather tedious and predictable. If they had shortened those hackneyed action scenes it would have been more enjoyable. Still, the story was sufficiently suspenseful to keep my interest.

The ending would have given better closure if that spinner had fallen, it looked like it was going to but we'll never know for sure. Was it really the happy ending we wanted, or he was still in a deep dream?

7.5 of 10

damn dude...i watched it on Wednesday and i feel the same way...same rating too

Comment

The Fighter (2010)

thanks for the break down, i definitely plan on watching it.

why don't you rate bale as that good of an actor? i think he's great.

Comment

• Bale is a beast man...one of the greatest actors alive right now

Comment

• Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
                      Bale is a beast man...one of the greatest actors alive right now
                      i agree 1,000%

Comment

Working...
                      X