No announcement yet.

Question to people from countries with universal healthcare

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to people from countries with universal healthcare

I just watched the movie Sicko by Michael Moore and he basically says our government lies to us about the public's perception of universal healthcare in countries that offer it.

As an American we are told you have to wait in a ridiculously long line to be seen. They tell us it takes months to get treatment for things like cancer. Is this true in your opinion?

I sliced a artery in my finger once and waited in the ER for over an hour in the US. We waited over an hour in the ER when my mothers appendix was about to burst. How long would you wait for this?

I really want to hear from Canadians, Brits, Irish, French...

Originally posted by Hous View Post
    I just watched the movie Sicko by Michael Moore and he basically says our government lies to us about the public's perception of universal healthcare in countries that offer it.

As an American we are told you have to wait in a ridiculously long line to be seen. They tell us it takes months to get treatment for things like cancer. Is this true in your opinion?

I sliced a artery in my finger once and waited in the ER for over an hour in the US. We waited over an hour in the ER when my mothers appendix was about to burst. How long would you wait for this?

I am from Canada, and I think this is false. 10 months ago I had surgery on my leg because I broke my femur and with the amount of seniors in our system right now, it didn't take long. Also my little cousin who is eight years old has had over 10 surgeries throughout her life. And she has never had to wait. Now these are my personal experiences. This is the best I can tell you.

Comment

The Health care system here in Canada is a lot better than what's in U.S.A. or those other country without.
      But I think U.K. and France have a better system or perhaps "richer" in terms of benefits.

With our system. There is no need for anyone to have an insurance since all the citizen are insured (you must have your valid health card...)And you can get a doctor to look after any of you ailment.

However every working citizen pays for it in our tax system.We're paying total of 15%tax right now. 8% federal and 7% provincial .Which is very high and also almost everything that you buy are taxable...through G.S.T. or some country called V.A.T.

Comment

Where I'm from in the UK it's great. Hardly any waiting time etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Geze View Post
          The Health care system here in Canada is a lot better than what's in U.S.A. or those other country without.
          But I think U.K. and France have a better system or perhaps "richer" in terms of benefits.

With our system. There is no need for anyone to have an insurance since all the citizen are insured (you must have your valid health card...)And you can get a doctor to look after any of you ailment.

However every working citizen pays for it in our tax system.We're paying total of 15%tax right now. 8% federal and 7% provincial .Which is very high and also almost everything that you buy are taxable...through G.S.T. or some country called V.A.T.
          Yeah, we defiantly pay for our health care.

The taxes aren't 15 percent in Ontario yet. July 1st they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by one-Punch View Post

My bad

The ****in H.S.T. everyone is dreading.

Comment

Originally posted by one-Punch View Post

This is the tax you put on products right? Do you know how much it is in the States?

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
                This is the tax you put on products right? Do you know how much it is in the States?

That is G.S.T. here which is something else.

That is the combined tax Federal and provincial.which is called H.S.T. (they just tried to make it easier for calculation (strangulation)point of view.
                Last edited by Amazinger; 06-05-2010, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Hous hospitals have TRIAGE and they will assess your need.If the nurses feel you need to get looked at you will be sent and get looked at right away.

You probably talking about "ELECTIVE SURGERIES" yes they have a waiting period because of:
                  1)Schedule of doctors
                  2) parts or donor organs availability
                  3) your place in line of waiting list ( who need it the most)

Comment

seriously all that waiting **** only happens in third world countries like mine.......saying that **** in a country like US is just fear-mongering.....

Comment

Working...
                    X