Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's more famous?: Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are millions and millions of older people who have never used the internet in their lives.

Comment

It's hard to evaluate this ****. People act like they know what is popular or known in the whole world.
      America is a brand and anything that comes out of our country is popular in others.
      We have some of the most well known brands, athletes, pop culture in the world.
      Hard to imagine someone in China or Japan not knowing both of them.
      Do to video games, movies, and other stuff.
      In places like the Latin Americas, Basketball isn't as big and boxing is. However, even if you don't know Jordan, some people will recognise him as a brand.
      Europe.. well, I don't know about that block. But there are hella European posters that can speak for themselves.

I'm not trying to be a lame and sit on the fence with this one but it looks like I'm going to have to. They probably are both just as recognized around the world as one another.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Sugar' Freddi View Post
        the problem with google trends is that it only tells you what people are looking up.. it doesn't tell you the popularity of it. Michael Jordan could be getting searches because of his shoes, or his divorce in recent times.. but Mike Tyson not getting any since he hasn't gotten any recent news stories. It doesn't mean that people don't know who he is.. just that people dont have a reason to search for him.

Also, big places like most of Asia with it's billions of people or India aren't included on the trends.

Comment

Jordan....

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
            This is an interesting result regarding a google trend between Floyd and Manny. I narrowed the search down to the US only, to see if it would reflect accurately on the public awareness of both of them.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Floyd...ate=all&sort=1
            Be prepared to get attacked by *****s by posting that

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
              This is an interesting result regarding a google trend between Floyd and Manny. I narrowed the search down to the US only, to see if it would reflect accurately on the public awareness of both of them.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Floyd...ate=all&sort=1
              I was gonna say that it could be because Manny has had a lot more news stories as of late.. but then I saw that it goes back as far as 2005. So yeah.. I have nothing to say to that. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bokor Man View Post
                It's hard to evaluate this ****. People act like they know what is popular or known in the whole world.
                America is a brand and anything that comes out of our country is popular in others.
                We have some of the most well known brands, athletes, pop culture in the world.

Hard to imagine someone in China or Japan not knowing both of them.
                Do to video games, movies, and other stuff.
                In places like the Latin Americas, Basketball isn't as big and boxing is. However, even if you don't know Jordan, some people will recognise him as a brand.
                Europe.. well, I don't know about that block. But there are hella European posters that can speak for themselves.

I'm not trying to be a lame and sit on the fence with this one but it looks like I'm going to have to. They probably are both just as recognized around the world as one another.
                That's true, but in this particular case, we are talking about an individual. People don't walk into the Michael Jordan store to buy their clothes or get something to eat. He played a sport that is nowhere near the most popular in Europe. Tyson was all over the news for the ear biting incident alone. And that was long after he was already well known since the late 80's. Jordan is a massive name in north America and is a reasonably well known name in other countries, but this is really a no brainer in terms of overall exposure. There's no real reason for newspapers or news broadcasters in parts of Europe to include what is happening in the NBA as there isn't the interest in it. The NBA only had a weekly show on a mainstream UK channel a few years back. That was it.

We're not talking about a movie star or pop star who is in the public's interest world wide, we are talking about a sportsman who is demigod status in America and who is not so well known in most other places in the world. This is not a hard question to answer. It just confirms the American stereotype that most of you think America is the whole world.

Diego Maradona was as talented as Jordan was, but he's not a household name in America. There is no need to be upset that a very talented sportman is not recognised world wide.

Comment

Mike Tyson by a million miles.

People who watched Space Jam as a kid might remember Jordan. But everyone knows Mike Tyson.

Everyone.

Comment

Its Jordan and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Jordan and Ali are the most recognized sportmen on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                      Its Jordan and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Jordan and Ali are the most recognized sportsmen on the planet.
                      ^^^
                      I honestly don't have any idea how is this debatable

Comment

Working...
                      X