Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best Anti-virus for Windows 7? Does it even need an anti-virus?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best Anti-virus for Windows 7? Does it even need an anti-virus?

I mean, I have avg-free installed and windows 7 runs just great. But wondering if I'm becoming too comfortable with this new windows. I mean Avg-Free hasn't picked any viruses up at all. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing... When I had windows xp, Avg-free constantly picked up viruses and windows xp ran look dog-poo. It's just really weird to finally have a Microsoft OS that isn't ****ing ******ed and knows how to keep viruses off of it!

80 percent of viruses love Windows 7

By Davey Winder in Editorial

Posted in Blog, Wireless, Security, Microsoft on November 3, 2009 at 11:55 am

Permalink | Author Profile

According to one leading security research lab, Windows 7 is vulnerable to an astonishing 8 out of 10 viruses it was exposed to during testing. But wait a minute, just how astonishing is this, really?

Sophos loaded a retail release copy of Windows 7 onto a clean PC, configured it to the system default as far as the User Account Control process was concerned, and failed to install any anti-virus software. OK, so this might be a little unfair you would think, but it does represent the actions of many a person new to the new OS. Microsoft insists it is the most secure version of Windows yet, and ‘ordinary users’ will take the company at its word.

What Sophos did next was less typical, instead of connecting the machine to the Internet and clicking every link under the sun until it was infected up the wazoo, it instead “grabbed the next 10 unique samples that arrived in the SophosLabs feed to see how well the newer, more secure version of Windows and UAC held up” says researcher Chet Wisniewski.

Unsurprisingly, Windows 7 didn’t do too well in fighting off these new threats. Indeed, it only managed to prevent 2 out of those 10 from operating correctly. Wisniewski insists that this just goes to show that his pre-launch warning that the UAC is not fit to protect a PC from malware was indeed correct. While I actually agree with him on this point I’d also argue that any machine that is not running an up to date anti-virus solution is asking for trouble no matter what version of Windows is installed.

I’d be more interested to see that same test performed on the same Windows 7 PC but running different AV solutions, including the new and free Microsoft Security Essentials to be honest. I wonder how far and how many of those 10 viruses would get then?

I wonder if Microsoft will come out fighting against Sophos this time, like it did when XP Mode security came under attack in the summer?

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/daveyw/...ove-windows-7/

Comment

My computer is running fast, I feel no affects from viruses. But thats why maybe avg-free gets along with windows 7 greatly.

Comment

Working...
      X