No announcement yet.

Mexico and Ecuador?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico and Ecuador?

Mexico’s president says country will break diplomatic ties with Ecuador, after police raid embassy

13 hrs ago

The Associated Press
    Follow
    QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Mexico’s president Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Friday evening the country will break diplomatic ties with Ecuador after police broke into the Mexican embassy in Quito.

The announcement came after Ecuadorian police officers forcibly broke into the Mexican embassy in Quito, detaining former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas, who was seeking political asylum there, as a diplomatic rift between the two countries deepened.

Glas, arguably the most wanted man in Ecuador, faces investigations of corruption, bribery and more. Police attempt to break into the Mexican embassy in Quito, Ecuador, Friday, April 5, 2024, following Mexico’s granting of asylum to former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas, who had sought refuge there. Police later forcibly broke into the embassy through another entrance. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
    The police broke the external doors of the Mexican diplomatic headquarters in the Ecuadorian capital and entered the main patio.

“Ecuador is a sovereign nation and we are not going to allow any criminal to stay free,” wrote Ecuador’s Presidency in a statement Friday night.

López Obrador fired back calling Glas’ detention an “authoritarian act” and “a flagrant violation of international law and the sovereignty of Mexico.”

Alicia Bárcena, Mexico’s secretary of foreign relations, added that a number of diplomats suffered injuries in the incident and said it violated the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

Experts watching the arrest pointed out the act was a bold violation of the Vienna Conventions on Consular Relations, something that is likely to put a firm wedge between the governments of Mexico and Ecuador.

“This is not possible, it cannot be, this is crazy,” said Roberto Canseco, head of the Mexican consular section in Quito, outside the embassy.

Asked about the situation of former Vice President Glas and if he was apprehended by public forces, he stated: “I understand that yes, I am very worried because they could kill him; there is no basis to do this, this is totally outside the norm.”

Ecuador’s foreign ministry and Ecuador’s ministry of the interior did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

The Mexican embassy in Quito remained under heavy police guard late Friday.

A day earlier, tensions between the two countries escalated after Mexico’s President Andrés Manuel López Obrador made statements that Ecuador considered “very unfortunate” about the last elections in which the Ecuadorian president Daniel Noboa won.

In reaction, the Ecuadorian government declared the Mexican ambassador persona non grata. ___

Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
    Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

I just like eating tamales and my Mexican family displacing chicanos

my Spanish and l archaic Hebrew are good

Comment

Oh this will be good.

Last I heard was Ecuador is a blood bath

Comment

What the beef here?

It is odd but I do not recall a war between Latin American or South American nations. Why is this so? Was there ever a war in South America?

Perhaps they respect each others territory?
        Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Yeah Ecuador done goofed. Its a pretty danm serious crime invading an embassy like they did.

On a side note isnt bumavidez half Ecuadorian? I think ive seen him walk in with that flag. Another excuse for carnela not to fight him lol

Comment

Mexico trying to protect a criminal like they do with the cartels back home. Other countries don’t go for that.
            Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

I’m Mexican and I go to Mexico and get high

a family

Jew Mexicans always take me in

I avoid my cartel family

I like going to a spot with my wife and just watching the stars

Comment

Originally posted by -MEGA- View Post
                Mexico’s president says country will break diplomatic ties with Ecuador, after police raid embassy

13 hrs ago

The Associated Press
                Follow
                QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Mexico’s president Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Friday evening the country will break diplomatic ties with Ecuador after police broke into the Mexican embassy in Quito.

The announcement came after Ecuadorian police officers forcibly broke into the Mexican embassy in Quito, detaining former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas, who was seeking political asylum there, as a diplomatic rift between the two countries deepened.

Glas, arguably the most wanted man in Ecuador, faces investigations of corruption, bribery and more. Police attempt to break into the Mexican embassy in Quito, Ecuador, Friday, April 5, 2024, following Mexico’s granting of asylum to former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas, who had sought refuge there. Police later forcibly broke into the embassy through another entrance. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
                The police broke the external doors of the Mexican diplomatic headquarters in the Ecuadorian capital and entered the main patio.

“Ecuador is a sovereign nation and we are not going to allow any criminal to stay free,” wrote Ecuador’s Presidency in a statement Friday night.

López Obrador fired back calling Glas’ detention an “authoritarian act” and “a flagrant violation of international law and the sovereignty of Mexico.”

Alicia Bárcena, Mexico’s secretary of foreign relations, added that a number of diplomats suffered injuries in the incident and said it violated the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

Experts watching the arrest pointed out the act was a bold violation of the Vienna Conventions on Consular Relations, something that is likely to put a firm wedge between the governments of Mexico and Ecuador.

“This is not possible, it cannot be, this is crazy,” said Roberto Canseco, head of the Mexican consular section in Quito, outside the embassy.

Asked about the situation of former Vice President Glas and if he was apprehended by public forces, he stated: “I understand that yes, I am very worried because they could kill him; there is no basis to do this, this is totally outside the norm.”

Ecuador’s foreign ministry and Ecuador’s ministry of the interior did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

The Mexican embassy in Quito remained under heavy police guard late Friday.

A day earlier, tensions between the two countries escalated after Mexico’s President Andrés Manuel López Obrador made statements that Ecuador considered “very unfortunate” about the last elections in which the Ecuadorian president Daniel Noboa won.

In reaction, the Ecuadorian government declared the Mexican ambassador persona non grata. ___

Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america

corruption in Mexico is overt

in America corruption is covert

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
                  What the beef here?

It is odd but I do not recall a war between Latin American or South American nations. Why is this so? Was there ever a war in South America?

Perhaps they respect each others territory?
                  We all know what you mean and I don't mean this as a nit picky ***** comment, just fyi. You may find it interesting sorta deal:

Latin America is not the middle bit. That's Central. Latin America is all of the Iberian Empire's former colonies. Mexico all the way down to the tip of SA . Spanish or Portuguese, all iberian.

OIP.6lpEnWRyDg5O7ypP1YIwNQAAAA?rs=1&pid=ImgDetMain.jpg

All Latin America.

Comment

Working...
                  X