Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rise of Atheism in America (INFOGRAFIC)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rancid Dope View Post
    I want you to prove to me that god doesnt exist through reason and science...
    the difference between an atheist and the religious

if you proved the existence of god to an atheist they would believe in god.
    if you proved god didnt exist to a religious person they would still believe in god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rancid Dope View Post
      so are you saying god is contingent?
      Well... If you wanna put it like that, but I'm leaning strongly towards a higher power who created us with a purpose NOT existing, than existing.

Comment

• Originally posted by VictoriaBeckham View Post
        I don't need a dissertation on it, I already expressed my opinion on organized religion.

I'm more curious as to what atheists like you and piglet believe in. You guys always leave that part out.
        Atheist do not have to believe anything. being atheist is not a form of organized religion. the only thing that qualifies a person as an atheist is the rejection of religion or god

You have ask yourself why do non-atheist need explanation? Is it so hard to say "I dont know"?

I am a atheist the most logical explanation for how things are is provided by science. and those theories are exactly that theories. they are not 100% fact but theories of evolution are supported by evidence and based on that evidence; which is more than you can say for the explanations provided by religious books.

explanations provided by religious books are based on faith,not evidence and even if it was based on evidence, no one will never know for a fact, same goes for the theories science provides.

Originally posted by Crazylegs™ View Post
        if you proved god didnt exist to a religious person they would still believe in god.

exactly.

Comment

• Accept Islam for your salvation

Comment

• Originally posted by Leakbeak View Post
            Accept Islam for your salvation

...........that is like accepting 4ft long swords into your arse!

Comment

• People who believe in nothing have no moral and ethical compass and are easier to lead astray.
              Atheists don't believe in god. It doesn't mean they don't have any beliefs or convictions at all.

The atheist movement really became en vogue after his "god is dead" declaration.
              What atheist movement?

most of the prison population haven't commited serious crimes either
              But most of the prison population have committed crimes, they have stepped outside the boundaries of cultural and moral normalcy. That's why they're in prison.

I'm more curious as to what atheists like you and piglet believe in.
              Freedom of speech and expression, the right to do whatever you want unless it is negatively impacting on other people, rationality and the merits of the scientific method, be excellent to each other, party on dude.

Also fiscal responsibility.

And he thinks that by regurgitating orthodox neo lib government positions and posting a link to it that somehow he's doing us a favor.
              And you think that using the prefix "neo" on anything ever doesn't make you a total horse's arse.

Cavemen used to take whatever the hell they wanted to just to survive.
              Not really. Cavemen were a social species relying on group cohesion for survival just as much as "housemen" do today. It is imperative that they possess a moral framework that allows the group to function for the benefit of all its members, or the entire group will perish. If you're interested in how this works you could do worse than picking up The Selfish Gene by Dawkins, a really excellent book for introducing the field of ethology.

In the bold, that's insulting.
              In this case the term "ignorance" is intended to be literal and is not an insult. Essentially your statement boiled down to "I don't know the answer so it can't be true". You are ignorant of the answer therefore you dismiss it.

I want you to prove to me that god doesnt exist through reason and science...
              Just as soon as you prove to me that Ganesh doesn't exist, using science and reason.

You cannot prove a negative, especially when we're referring to a concept as liberally defined as "god".

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                Not really. Cavemen were a social species relying on group cohesion for survival just as much as "housemen" do today. It is imperative that they possess a moral framework that allows the group to function for the benefit of all its members, or the entire group will perish. If you're interested in how this works you could do worse than picking up The Selfish Gene by Dawkins, a really excellent book for introducing the field of ethology.
                Yeah but what about all the known Neanderthal raiding groups?

The Alpha male outcasts would forge "gangs" and essentially tear house on innocent other tribes, forcing them into what some scientists are now calling the first forms of slavery. I don't have a link I saw that on the History Channel.

They found mummies that had scars and though patchwork they brought back their own revisionist opinions as to what happened.

Fornesics etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
                  Can you prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist through reason and science?

Hint, it has something to do with disproving negatives...

May you be touched by his noodly appendage, rAmen.
                  I love ramen

Comment

• Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
                    Yeah but what about all the known Neanderthal raiding groups?

The Alpha male outcasts would forge "gangs" and essentially tear house on innocent other tribes, forcing them into what some scientists are now calling the first forms of slavery. I don't have a link I saw that on the History Channel.

They found mummies that had scars and though patchwork they brought back their own revisionist opinions as to what happened.

Fornesics etc.
                    Rogue males are not unheard of, but group cohesion is still important to protect against those. And group coherence is necessary within the raiding groups so there would be a system of morality among those as well. Just as you find among criminal gangs today.

Besides, it's often considered moral to engage in warfare. And religion is no stranger to conflict. Throughout history the concept of the "holy warrior" has been seen as especially virtuous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazylegs™ View Post

I just want someone to present to me a good argument, not the same bull**** i hear all the time about all religions being far fetched blah blah blah...

Comment

Working...
                      X