Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Guard deployed in Minneapolis after fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kim Potter, cop in Daunte Wright shooting, to be charged

The Minnesota cop who shot and killed Daunte Wright could be criminally charged as soon as tomorrow, according to a report.

Kimberly Potter, 48, who resigned Tuesday over the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, is expected to be charged by Washington County authorities, KSTP-TV reported.

The outlet reported that Washington County Sheriff Dan Starry could file charges as soon as Wednesday in the incident.

KTSP producer Alan Hoglund also said on Twitterthat Washington County Attorney’s Office “plans to charge” Potter “tomorrow.”

The Minneapolis county is reviewing the case for Hennepin County — where Brooklyn Center, a Minneapolis suburb, is located — to avoid a conflict of interest, officials said.

Wright’s death is also under review by Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

At a press conference Tuesday, Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott said he would ask Gov. Tim Walz to turn the investigation over to state Attorney General Keith Ellison.

The Brooklyn Center City Council on Monday voted to fire Potter and Police Chief Tim Gannon — but both submitted letters of resignation early Tuesday, Elliott said.

Wright was pulled over around 2 p.m. Sunday for having a suspended registration, authorities said. According to police, they determined he was sought on a misdemeanor arrest warrant and attempted to arrest him.

But Wright broke away and got back in his car, where he was shot by Potter before speeding off and crashing farther down the road — where he was pronounced dead.

Police said Potter, a 26-year-veteran of the force, mistakenly grabbed her service weapon instead of her Taser and fired a single, fatal shot.

“Holy s–t!” she can be heard saying on bodycam video. “I just shot him.”

Late Monday, the city council also fired City Manager Curt Boganey over the incident.

The Washington County Attorney’s Office did not respond to a request for comment.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

More hyperbole and rhetoric. Again, < .1% of these interactions ends up with a dead black motorist or suspect. You are making out as though it is the norm.

Cops are held accountable. Did you think the Somali cop in Minneapolis got a fair sentence when he was convicted of manslaughter for killing that white woman in her driveway? He got 12 years...should that be enough time for Chauvin?
      I am doing no such thing. Again there shouldn’t be even one death. Also, again, you argued election fraud and a stolen election when there was no Incidents or evidence of either presented.

you can’t pick and choose an arbitrary number of incidents To determine if there is a problem or not.

Cops are rarely, if ever, held accountable. Why are you using the specific incident where a black cop shot a white victim?

No, he didn’t get a fair sentence. Of course you are cherry picking by only asking about this case because the victim was white and the cop was black. It’s weird that when the dynamic is changed we get a conviction against the cops.

sort of like how OJ got off-the dynamic was changed and he actually faced a jury of his peers.

no I think chauvin should’ve been indicted for murder and should, imo, get the death penalty.
      siablo14 siablo14 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

I am doing no such thing. Again there shouldn’t be even one death. Also, again, you argued election fraud and a stolen election when there was no Incidents or evidence of either presented.

you can’t pick and choose an arbitrary number of incidents To determine if there is a problem or not.

Cops are rarely, if ever, held accountable. Why are you using the specific incident where a black cop shot a white victim?

No, he didn’t get a fair sentence. Of course you are cherry picking by only asking about this case because the victim was white and the cop was black. It’s weird that when the dynamic is changed we get a conviction against the cops.

sort of like how OJ got off-the dynamic was changed and he actually faced a jury of his peers.

no I think chauvin should’ve been indicted for murder and should, imo, get the death penalty.
        You dodged the question and deflected with off topic nonsense. I brought up the black cop because as I stated in prior posts, way more whites are killed by police than blacks. So you think the Somali cop should get the death penalty?

Unjust deaths at hands of police should never happen, in a perfect world they wouldn’t. But we don’t live in that world. We also live in a world where most people killed by police being it upon themselves with only few exceptions. You are trying to make those exceptions the rule by insisting police specifically target blacks when statistics prove they do not. Part of the problem with the black community is that you will protest, boycott and riot for the bottom denominator. You’re the only demographic in America who riots and loots in support of criminals and gang members. That is coming straight from a black conservative, so I didn’t pull it out of thin air. But you don’t want to hear that most of these type of killings could have prevented if the deceased had not resisted arrest or tried to fight or flee.

Ultimately, the problem starts in the home. Whether we are talking about black, white, Hispanic, etc., proper parenting is the most effective deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

actually you could fix this by punishing police when they commit crimes. If police were charged and convicted for murder as you or I would if we did this, that would surely deter future crimes.

Having a warrant and being a bad person are 2 different things. There are guys on this board you say are decent people who’ve been in prison, have dui ‘s, and have records far worse than this young man.

even though he had this warrant I don’t think the situation needed to end like this. But it’s a vicious cycle- run and you get shot. Don’t run, you get choked to death or brutalized.

we need these situations to end like the dude hat murdered those 8 Asians in Atlanta . He was armed and on the run. But he was arrested “ without incident”.

I think I can speak for most black folks when I post we want that “ without incident” treatment that guy got. Just sayin.....
          I said years ago that the way to fix this issue would be to abolish the police union, and let the bad cops lose their protection.

Comment

Private police companies are coming to a city near you. The police department will be defunded and private security companies will start to take over to take the city liability away. Fun fact most cops only shoot their guns for training once a year In some states Yet they don’t want to hire national guard MPs or ex military out the gate.

then what to hire 5’2 100lb females that never been in a fight in her life. That women could had went hands on with that cop. 26 years in the force and doesn’t know her dominant hand is where your lethal weapon is on her duty belt. she’s going to prison.

Comment

Originally posted by HrNY View Post

Girl's been on the force for over 25 years and somehow mixed her taser with her gun.

That Bart "cop" in Oakland who shot that kid at the Bart station also said he reached for his taser but accidentally shot him with his gun, and he was only a "Bart cop", what more with this happening to a person who's actually a cop and been one for 26 years. Does that give more evidence that it is actually an honest mistake?
              That's what the BART cop got:

On November 5, 2010, Mehserle was sentenced to two years with double credit for time already served (due to California jail/prison overcrowding, one day in custody counts as two for most inmates), reducing his term by 292 days for the 146 days he has already spent in jail.[123] The judge overturned the gun enhancement, which could have added an additional 3 to 10 years to the sentence.[124][125] He was released from prison at 12:01 a.m. on June 13, 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                Exact same thing happened to me when I was 19. Cops pulled up, I had a warrant, I went to jail for a few hours. Difference is I'm here to tell about it because I didn't resist arrest, didn't give them a reason to do anything stupid. Pops told me as a kid "even if those fools try to rile you up, don't take the bait."
                Look at this pick-me dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  Exact same thing happened to me when I was 19. Cops pulled up, I had a warrant, I went to jail for a few hours. Difference is I'm here to tell about it because I didn't resist arrest, didn't give them a reason to do anything stupid. Pops told me as a kid "even if those fools try to rile you up, don't take the bait."
                  Great advice and thank you for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by 2shameless View Post

Great advice and thank you for your service.
                    Well...well.

That's how you like your Blacks?

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post

Well...well.

That's how you like your Blacks?
                      Alive and out of prison or defending the country I love. Yes to both.

Comment

Working...
                      X