Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The United States is going to go bankrupt...thanks President Obama.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
    If the New Deal was so great, why did it take FDR two full terms to get us out of the Great Depression? Especially when the rest of the world was happily recovering about the time he took office? The economy grew after the war, yes, but FDR was gone by then, no?

As for the thread, not all Obama's fault, but he's not exactly helping matters either. And the only change I've seen in my area, has been for the worse.
    It is pretty well established within economic circles that the new deal only hindered the recovery process, and WWII was important in the recovery process because the new deal was suspended to allow the nation to gear up for war.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingDosia View Post
      If the New Deal and FDR were so bad, how did we experience such economic growth. The war isn't the only answer as the economy grew even after that. And every time we fell into recession ever since similar policy reversed the situation and helped to expand the economy. Even Bush had some sucess in 00 - 01 using Keynsian type methods to battle recession. There are many examples of it working and only theory of it not.
      I would rather the Government stay out of the economy as well as anybody, but damn, if it works.
      If you knew your history, you would know the New Deal was suspended during the war, giving America 4 years free of its treachery to recover.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
        If you knew your history, you would know the New Deal was suspended during the war, giving America 4 years free of its treachery to recover.
        Was the war not an avenue to increase spending by the govt? Would increased govt spending not fall in line with Keyns' suggested remedies for a failing economy?

Comment

True inflation is a problem with expansionary policy. The whole point of the post was to shed light on why certain moves have been made. I'd rather deal with inflation than depression if I had to chose one of the two evils.
          Tell that to someone living in Zimbabwe. If they oversleep, they pay more for food in the afternoon. Loans for cars, houses, etc do not and cannot exist.

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          It is pretty well established within economic circles that the new deal only hindered the recovery process, and WWII was important in the recovery process because the new deal was suspended to allow the nation to gear up for war.
          Good ol fat Dosia, he spews garbage, and when called on it, spews more.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACK D. RIPPER View Post
            Its nice to see you snickering about being lied to.

The whole point of this thread is that Obama ran as the candidate of "change" and all he's done is spend more in 3 months than Bush did in 8 years, and accelerate every bad policy W. implemented during his tenure.
            If you thought Bush was bad, wait till this con man is done with the country.

Laugh about that.
            You know what's funny, is that the stimulus package was BUSH'S IDEA. He passed it through before Obama got into office.

The fact is, Obama inherited a giant **** sandwich and we all will have to take a bite. If Obama didn't do anything, he would have gotten killed. Since Obama has spent all this money trying to give a boost to the economy, he's getting killed.

It doesn't matter what Obama does, the right wing nut jobs and the people who listen to them are going to fry his ass.

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh and he had the nerve to say the reason that Gov. Sanford of South Carolina cheated on his wife with tax payers money was because Obama doesn't care about this country and so neither do politicians now.....HAHAHAHAHHAA

He blaimed the fact that Sanford went and fuked some chick in Argentina on Obama..............classic.

Comment

Was the war not an avenue to increase spending by the govt? Would increased govt spending not fall in line with Keyns' suggested remedies for a failing economy?
              Here is what is different, and here is why what you just suggested is wrong.

The government spent money by purchasing equipment and services from private companies, expanding manufacturing capacity in the process. In effect they invested directly in capitalism by participating in capitalism.

They had manufactures compete for their business. Many designs were submitted, and the best was chosen.

Compare that today where instead of choosing the best company to do business with, the government finds the worst company, then dumps money into them.

If the government today were to follow the type of spending the helped during world war II, they would have let GM fail, and invested money in FORD to help them increase their capacity to fill the market void.

There is a huge difference between spending money in a way the encourages capitalism, and spending money in a way the discourages it.

The New Deal discouraged Capitalism, the government knew this, so they suspended it in order to prepare the country for war.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                Here is what is different, and here is why what you just suggested is wrong.

The government spent money by purchasing equipment and services from private companies, expanding manufacturing capacity in the process. In effect they invested directly in capitalism by participating in capitalism.

They had manufactures compete for their business. Many designs were submitted, and the best was chosen.

Compare that today where instead of choosing the best company to do business with, the government finds the worst company, then dumps money into them.

If the government today were to follow the type of spending the helped during world war II, they would have let GM fail, and invested money in FORD to help them increase their capacity to fill the market void.

There is a huge difference between spending money in a way the encourages capitalism, and spending money in a way the discourages it.

The New Deal discouraged Capitalism, the government knew this, so they suspended it in order to prepare the country for war.
                Nobody, not you, or I knows what will come of recent actions by the government toward the economy that chapter hasn't been written yet. I'm not arguing that everything is being done the right way as the right way isn't as aparent as you are making it out to be.
                I won't argue in favor of the bailout packages given to the auto industry. they didn't make sense to me from the begining. That doesn't mean it won't work. It just doesn't fall into line whith what has been done before.
                My argument is that regardless what you want to believe proactive measures by the government in times of financial woe have been implemented since the depression and since then we have not realized such failure again. That is inarguable fact. And it goes to show that there is a measure other than just waiting it out that can ease the pain of such hard times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizzou View Post
                  1.8 trillion dollar deficit for 2009.
                  13 trillion dollar debt.
                  4% interest on t-bills.
                  Increased/excessive/un-restrained spending justified by unrealistic economic forecasts.
                  Likelihood of double digit interest rates.
                  Guaranteed hyper inflation to pay back out of control debt.
                  Worthless dollar.

Why does no one talk about the ramifications of massive, massive debt? How do you think massive tax increases will affect our economy? The president is currently pushing cap and trade (an absolute disaster even in a good economy) and nationalized health care that will cost over 3 trillion over ten years by a most likely inaccurate government estimate.

Can someone reply to this in an educated manner?

We gonna have this, if this **** keeps getting worse !!!!!

Comment

• I was originally for Obama and am still not giving up on the whole stimulus deal. Hell it even helped a few relatives of mine in additional unemployment benfits, who can't find a job right now if their life depended on it. But one thing i'm getting sick of is our millitary overseas. It's not going anywhere. How about some Isolationsim, pull out all the troops from Iraq, Afghanistan, even Germany, and lets get our house in order before we give millions to Israel and Afghanistan.

I wish somebody would corner Obama on this during the interviews and ask him about it.

Comment

Nobody, not you, or I knows what will come of recent actions by the government toward the economy that chapter hasn't been written yet. I'm not arguing that everything is being done the right way as the right way isn't as aparent as you are making it out to be.
                      I won't argue in favor of the bailout packages given to the auto industry. they didn't make sense to me from the begining. That doesn't mean it won't work. It just doesn't fall into line whith what has been done before.
                      My argument is that regardless what you want to believe proactive measures by the government in times of financial woe have been implemented since the depression and since then we have not realized such failure again. That is inarguable fact. And it goes to show that there is a measure other than just waiting it out that can ease the pain of such hard times.
                      Obviously it didn't work since GM went bankrupt anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X