This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

I truthfully think it is because of the formation. Or more specifically an unfavorable formation/ play-style for the type of strikers we have. Think about it.

What do Morata, Werner, and Lukaku have in common? They all like to run off the back shoulder, take the ball in stride and finish in stride.

Excluding Morata (he was a 1 season wonder pre-Chelsea);

Werner had: 21, 21, 19, 34 goals in successive seasons before joining Chelsea.
    Lukaku had: 17, 16, 20, 25, 26, 27, 15, [34, 30] before re-joining Chelsea. [ ] = Inter Milan.

Werner at Chelsea has scored his least amount of goals since becoming an adult (age > 19) with 12 last season.
    Lukaku has never scored under 15 goals since leaving Chelsea, so playing in the same league, never scored under 15 goals and came to Chelsea after back-to-back 30 goals seasons... at his current rate he'll have 10 in 32 games. Abysmal.

The only two constants are Chelsea and this type of striker.

But after spending £145 million on strikers (£216 million if you count Havertz), I think it's about time to start looking at the team play instead of just the striker.

Can't ask Vardy to play like Firming. But here Chelsea are asking Vardy to be Firmino or at least Diego Costa.
    I think much of it is Tuchel has the team playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That shlt bites you on the ass eventually. Our team out here, the Sounders, plays a 5-4-1. It's like Schmetzer is trying to play for the 0-0 tie every game. First round playoff exit as they couldn't score.

Ps. It's so wild you turned out to be a Chelsea fan
    F l i c k e r F l i c k e r likes this.

Comment

• Chelsea through and through.

This is the kind of play we need. That long pass where Lukaku out paced his marker, mugged him off, mugged off the trailing run, if he's not fouled, he scores in stride anyway.

Also those run of plays with fast passes that put Mount in place to hit that cross and find his way in the middle with space, CHO as well after the Kovacic run.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        Chelsea through and through.

This is the kind of play we need. That long pass where Lukaku out paced his marker, mugged him off, mugged off the trailing run, if he's not fouled, he scores in stride anyway.

Also those run of plays with fast passes that put Mount in place to hit that cross and find his way in the middle with space, CHO as well after the Kovacic run.
        A solid win against a solid opponent: I'll take it! Breaks the cycle of bad draws against weak teams.

Comment

• I suppose they're not losing.

Pulisic and CHO arent good enough for Chelsea tbh. No excuses. Both should be looking for a team more on their level. Ziyech too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
            I suppose they're not losing.

Pulisic and CHO arent good enough for Chelsea tbh. No excuses. Both should be looking for a team more on their level. Ziyech too.
            I officially think Tuchel's lost the fooking plot.....

Comment

• Comment

• And now Lukaku wants out because Tuchel doesn't want to use him. This sounds like a blow-up is brewing between Tuchel and the Sporting Director over the direction of the team. I'm pretty sure Tuchel loses that one. If Lukaku goes back to Inter, Serie A turns into a one-team league like Ligue 1. Hey guys, the jokes over.....can we PLEASE have Lampard back?

Comment

• If Lukaku did say that he needs to grow up and shut his mouth. Player power shouldn't take hold.

Should bring back Terry around the first team to remind Lukaku about how they used to laugh at him at Chelsea.

I dont know what system he is talking about. The problem at Chelsea is apart from Mount and Havertz all our other forwards are rubbish. If they were better Lukaku would be happier.

Comment

• Turns out that interview was 3 weeks old. At that point Tuchel didnt think Lukaku was fit after a big injury. Lukaku thought he was. Havertz was leading the line.

Nonsense story.

Most likely released as Chelsea are playing Liverpool soon and that is how Liverpool centric media in this country works. Releasing a sky Italia article 3 weeks after it was published.

Mad really but goes to show how media can manipulate the narrative because that sort of thing annoys fans.

Next headline will be Lukaku is abused by Chelsea fans.
                    Last edited by Sparked_26; 12-30-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• I logged into BScene just to see if you fellas were talking about the latest Lukaku news.

To be honest, Tuchel's system isn't mean to express the qualities of the forwads. It is mean to 1a) not concede goals and 1b) keep possession to mitigate chances of conceding.

Unless it is Firmino up there. You're not getting much return from the forwards with his Chelsea system which is nothing like any of his other teams.

At the moment, Chelsea are just an elite version of Burnley. Living and dying off set pieces with defenders as your top scorers. Or Jorginho... who is just a penalty stat padder. Be honest, in any other team, Jorginho isn't taking pens. Man United? Nope. Man City? Nope. Liverpool? Nope. Spurs? Nope... regardless of his pen percentage.

The man who wins it, most likely will take it. At Chelsea, its just deferred to Jorginho, fair enough (high conversion rate) but sometimes the man who won it (particularly a forward) should be allowed to eat too.

Pulisic and CHO can 100% play for Chelsea by the way. They were playing wingback ffs last game, had to do all that dog work and by the time they got in front were to taxed to put left foot before right.

I agree with StarshipTrooper, Tuchel is beginning to lose the plot and it's showing with his Sarri-level refusal to change that 343 and his high risk of injury personnel choices.

He'll be the first manager to break Mount at this rate and that speaks volumes.
                      Last edited by F l i c k e r; 12-30-2021, 06:59 PM.
                      StarshipTrooper StarshipTrooper likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X