This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob & Weave View Post
    I understand why a Man City fan doesn't rate a top-4 finish. They get their shlt pushed in by most teams, get humiliated and can't get out of the group stage of the Champions League.
    You're right.

Maybe my opinions would change if we managed to get to the 1st knockout phase before getting destroyed every year like Arsenal. Maybe then, the highlight of my season would be the CL group phase.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
      The day we won the FA cup was one of my favourite days supporting City.

When we secured champions league football for the first time a few days earlier, meh.
      There's no feeling like a winning a trophy, but I'm not sure what it would be like without CL football. That feeling of a big European night is second to none.

You probably cherished the FA cup win a lot more as it was your first trophy for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
        You're right.

Maybe my opinions would change if we managed to get to the 1st knockout phase before getting destroyed every year like Arsenal. Maybe then, the highlight of my season would be the CL group phase.
        brutal!

The fact is that for Arsenal the Champ's League is considered a vital revenue stream and the club has basically given up trying to win anything because they're doing too well financially. They're living off past glory even more than Liverpool were for the last few years and using it to make the club rich. Which is why they ditch players as soon as there's a big enough offer for them and why Wenger is still in a job there: They know he only buys seventeen year olds.

Comment

• **** FA cup football, **** champions league fotball and **** premier league football.

hail hail the mighty Vale. 7-1 against 5th placed Burton Albion in front of 11,000 in a friday night league 2 match. You don't get nights like that supporting Man Utd.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            brutal!

The fact is that for Arsenal the Champ's League is considered a vital revenue stream and the club has basically given up trying to win anything because they're doing too well financially. They're living off past glory even more than Liverpool were for the last few years and using it to make the club rich. Which is why they ditch players as soon as there's a big enough offer for them and why Wenger is still in a job there: They know he only buys seventeen year olds.
            to be fair in Liverpool's defence, their board gave them a warchest to spend at the wrong time imo. Dalglish blew roughly 70 mil on Caroll, Henderson and Downing i believe, which is just ridiculous. Think of who they could have bought with that...

Comment

• Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
              **** FA cup football, **** champions league fotball and **** premier league football.

hail hail the mighty Vale. 7-1 against 5th placed Burton Albion in front of 11,000 in a friday night league 2 match. You don't get nights like that supporting Man Utd.
              I'd like to think I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

I watched us lose to you at home on Boxing day in the 90s as a kid. I think another couple of times as well, but the Boxing day one sticks out because of this quote from my dad (aimed at my mum):

"The toys'll still be here when he gets home, get him dressed and I'll bring a Burger King back if we win."

Freezing cold, no Burger King. Couldn't just leave me with my fucking remote control car could he.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Nah, finishing 4th will help the players improve. Our best players are all under 25. Hazard, oscar, mata, victor, de bruyne, cesar. All under 25 and cl play will make them much better.

However finishing 4th also allows the board to continue being daft. Which will hinder the club's future. We can continue trophy hunting and switch managers every year or get a 10 year manager in place and continue with a solid foundation.
                I don't think we need a 10 year manager, tbh. You end up with a Wenger in the end and ambition dwindles. Ferguson is a different breed.

We just need a proper director of football. Not this Emenalo whose previous experience is as a manager of an American U-15 girls team.

There needs to be a link between the youth set-up and the first team and consistency in transfer targets.

Hiddink would be ideal. Glen Hoddle wouldn't be bad either would Pat Nevin.

At least Chelsea are buying U-25 players like you say - they're all exceptional players as well. I don't think even Chelsea can mess this up, tbh. I'm most impressed with Azpi. I'd never heard of him before - so maybe someone at Chelsea does know their shit.

Apart from Real and Barca nobody has anything like Mata, Hazard and Oscar in the same team.

They'll be competing for the big trophies with a real striker and proper manager soon enough. Scrabbling for 4th isn't the be all and end all. Winning trophies is where it is at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                  I don't think we need a 10 year manager, tbh. You end up with a Wenger in the end and ambition dwindles. Ferguson is a different breed.

We just need a proper director of football. Not this Emenalo whose previous experience is as a manager of an American U-15 girls team.

There needs to be a link between the youth set-up and the first team and consistency in transfer targets.

Hiddink would be ideal. Glen Hoddle wouldn't be bad either would Pat Nevin.

At least Chelsea are buying U-25 players like you say - they're all exceptional players as well. I don't think even Chelsea can mess this up, tbh. I'm most impressed with Azpi. I'd never heard of him before - so maybe someone at Chelsea does know their shit.

Apart from Real and Barca nobody has anything like Mata, Hazard and Oscar in the same team.

They'll be competing for the big trophies with a real striker and proper manager soon enough. Scrabbling for 4th isn't the be all and end all. Winning trophies is where it is at.
                  Putting Falcao in a team in front of Mata, Hazard and Oscar and i seriously see the best offense in the league bar none. Having a clinical striker that puts away the chances i see Torres getting, it'd be frightening just thinking about it.

The defence needs tinkering though.

Comment

• Carlos Vela putting Real Sociedad in a Champions League spot. My Boy.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Originally posted by JRM View Post
                      Carlos Vela putting Real Sociedad in a Champions League spot. My Boy.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                      Start the boy Rosicky, and **** will happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X