Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might just be me but i swear at least one English club is guaranteed to get screwed over by refs in the knockout phase of the Champions League every year.

Unbelievable decision that ruined a great occasion and also marred what was a great performance by United up until that point. Even after the red there were still great chances created but Diego Lopez was on top form.

Like Jose said, the best team lost.

Comment

• I think there's another reason for Mourinho's ass-kissing.

I think Fergie goes at the end of this season. And think his replacement is already lined up.

Comment

• The red card definitely changed the game. Still unsure of whether or not it was a read. I think it was quite harsh but then like someone mentioned, no-one has said anything about Rafeal's handball a few minutes later.

I thought United were unlucky over the two legs but they had the chances to win the game and, well, blew it. RVP out in Madrid, Wellbeck a couple of chances last night (keeper making a great save from one), Vidic headers and the Rooney chance.

I thought Madrid were poor but hope either them or Dortmund win it. Madrid just because Jose is such a bawse.

How much has RVP's miss & Wellbeck's poor finishing cost United?

Comment

• Solid call by the ref. That was dangerous play by Nani and was rightfully sent off.

One again Sir Alex is exposed in Europe. He doesn't have the same power like he does in premiership play and as we saw last night, he had no answer.

Did you see Ferdinand go up and clap at the ref?

Modric did extremely well and controlled the game for 15-20mins. Although just because of that doesn't change the fact he's had a below average season. Wonderful strike tho, reminded me of a prime Diego Forlan.

Man United has had a historic season so far and got sodomized by a Real Madrid who's has a **** season. Mourinho is a legend.

Comment

• Originally posted by SirTomJones View Post
            Fairplay to Modric. Really made the difference when he came on.

Thought United had it when Di Maria came off and Kaka came on.
            United never had it. Mourinho is like 9-2 vs him. Sir Alex is just a glorified old beaten man.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              I don't recall that tackle, I'd have to see it to comment.

If nanis was a red, for dangerous play...and his leg being high was to control the ball that was dropping directly onto his foot, then how can a tackle like this..which is completely deliberate, not be a red also? (I personally would give both yellows...but if we are gonna give a red to nani for his 'dangerous challenge'...how is this not in the same category even though its 100% deliberate and its definitely dangerous - studs up and what not

Running directly at the player and jump-kicking them in the chest is pretty bad.
              Nani looked up - Saw no one there, then he watched the ball the whole way and went to control it....it is in no way shape or form like this one

People are penalised for attempting a header and missing the ball. If it's deemed deliberate they are sent off.
              If it's deemed that they were not trying to play the ball and were just aiming to kick the player in the face, yes. If not and they get to the ball late it's a free kick.
              Its lovely to see your now taking whether it was deliberate or no into consideration.... Yet with nanis, you know it was 100% not deliberate and he was trying to control the ball, with no knowledge arbeloa was there....yet you still think he deserves a red card

Was it incidental to trying to get the ball? No. If it was a deliberate punch o the head then yes.
              Can you see a pattern emerging here?
              Again we hear the word 'deliberate'.... the whole point is, whether its deliberate or not, they are deeming it dangerous play, Im sure Shawcross didnt mean to break ramseys leg...but it happened...the difference being he knew what could have happened when he went in for the challenge, as he had a clear view of ramsey and where the ball was...yet nani had no knowledge of where arbeloa was....was completely watching the ball..and gets a red card

So now the story is that a late challenge that misses the ball and hits the player is not a foul?
              Thanks for all your opinions on the same type of fouls in different scenarios - You really backed up what your final point was

Comment

• Originally posted by AssasinKing View Post

If nanis was a red, for dangerous play...and his leg being high was to control the ball that was dropping directly onto his foot, then how can a tackle like this..which is completely deliberate, not be a red also? (I personally would give both yellows...but if we are gonna give a red to nani for his 'dangerous challenge'...how is this not in the same category even though its 100% deliberate and its definitely dangerous - studs up and what not

Nani looked up - Saw no one there, then he watched the ball the whole way and went to control it....it is in no way shape or form like this one

Its lovely to see your now taking whether it was deliberate or no into consideration.... Yet with nanis, you know it was 100% not deliberate and he was trying to control the ball, with no knowledge arbeloa was there....yet you still think he deserves a red card

Again we hear the word 'deliberate'.... the whole point is, whether its deliberate or not, they are deeming it dangerous play, Im sure Shawcross didnt mean to break ramseys leg...but it happened...the difference being he knew what could have happened when he went in for the challenge, as he had a clear view of ramsey and where the ball was...yet nani had no knowledge of where arbeloa was....was completely watching the ball..and gets a red card

Thanks for all your opinions on the same type of fouls in different scenarios - You really backed up what your final point was
                Intent is not part of the specific law of the game for dangerous play but of course it plays a part. I didn't think that Arbeloa's tackle was worth much, got a yellow and that was justifiable.

I was surprised to see a red card but I didn't think it was an outrageous injustice. What's interesting is that I don't remember you making such appeals to injustice when Vincent Kompany was sent off for an action that wasn't even a foul against Arsenal earlier in the season.

Comment

• The funny thing is the 3 times Madrid won the CL title in 97-98, 99-00, 01-02 they never won the league nor the copa del rey. I think this is one of those years again.

Comment

• Swings and roundabouts, The biased brit media seem to forget the goal Madrid had disallowed in the first half and the Rafael handball on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      Intent is not part of the specific law of the game for dangerous play but of course it plays a part. I didn't think that Arbeloa's tackle was worth much, got a yellow and that was justifiable.

I was surprised to see a red card but I didn't think it was an outrageous injustice. What's interesting is that I don't remember you making such appeals to injustice when Vincent Kompany was sent off for an action that wasn't even a foul against Arsenal earlier in the season.
                      It was injustice, I'm not the one saying 'by the laws of the game kompanys red card was correct'

As much as nani COULD have been given a red for it being deemed dangerous, the situation and how it happened, all pointed towards a yellow card....

As I said I agree arbeloas was a yellow...but I also think nanis is a yellow...so if hes gonna give nani a red for that, arbeloa should be also receiving a red for his card

I backed Chelsea when they were done in Barca....I backed Arsenal when Van Persie was red carded against barca...and I thought some people might back United with the red card against Real...Obviously not, Uniteds hate runs deep

Fair doos, you were surprised to see a red...I think everyone was....I still think it was the wrong decision in the context of how the tackle happened

Comment

Working...
                      X