This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
    Do you know when people sh.it talk about a manager as a football fan?

But I do think, at least in terms of managing within an actual game I would do better than Graham Potter.

My qualifications? Playing Champ Manager and then Football manager from age 13 until the current day.

I just know more tbh.

With all due respect.

Basically zero.

Graham Potter is a complete f.ucking nause.
    You're better than how many players now? And now you're better than managers lol

You must be pretty special.

You could be like that English coach in Belgium who learned his trade on championship manager. His team are unbeaten in 20-something games.

Comment

• Potter deserves time, let's see what he does next season once he has a proper chance to integrate all these new players and whoever they get in the summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post

You're better than how many players now? And now you're better than managers lol

You must be pretty special.

You could be like that English coach in Belgium who learned his trade on championship manager. His team are unbeaten in 20-something games.
        That's right ✅️ I was thinking about that guy.

Tbf I never say I am better than players. All these guys are elite. I've not played 11's for yonks and I was seeing bang average anyway.

Probably do say stuff like I'd have a better weak foot than Ziyech if I played footy every day. Which for sure I would. That always blows my mind.

But not being facetious for a moment

Potter is probably a decent coach. Dunno really. No evidence at Chelsea yet.

But what he is doing is complicating everything.

5 goals in 11 games?

It is poor coaching as much as failure of individuals.

I don't think a single person on earth believes when Chelsea do sack Potter(equally everybody on earth accepts that they will sack him) that he is gonna on to make them regret it.

Nobody. Including Potter.

I dunno they employed him but I defo dont know why they didnt ssck him after the Fulham away game.
        Last edited by Sparked_26; 02-03-2023, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Andre Villas Boas also got into football from playing Football Manager.

That dude went on to win every major trophy he could in a calendar year with Porto.

Sure, failed Chelsea move but have to give it to him. His 1 year in Porto craps all over entire career's worth of a C.V. of many managers.

I agree with Caught Square though. May as well give Potter to the end of the season. If he shows he's losing the plot throughout? Then it's only right to cut ties. But let him work and see if he can be competent in the role.

We'd only mess up and hire someone terrible anyway. I'd be surprise if Boehly did the smart thing and hired Poch on the bounce or impossibly convinced Zidane to join.

Comment

• I am not saying it is a dead easy job. Although I am saying he is objectively s.hit at it.

The coach overseeing the worst attacking output since 1995. When we came quite close to relegation.

There is zero movement.

That is from coaching.

In reality Chelsea started 3 new players. It wasnt wholesale. One those players in Fernandez was obviously the best player for Chelsea despite being there a day and not training.

Similar to Felix when he played.

Not knowing whatever Potter is trying to do is clearly helpful.

So despite having 2 weeks on the training pitch. Chelsea got worse vs the last time they played Fulham where Felix alone had 4 more shots on target than we did today.

So many tactical issues to address.

Today he got outcoached. Silva is a good coach. Potter probably isn't.

1. The wide players played directly ahead of the full backs with no variation.

Issue: opposition players can sit in their shape. Nobody is getting dragged out of position either by fullbacks taken inside or midfielders dragged wide.

Solution:

a.)The wide forwards need to get narrower and closer to Havertz. The closer players are together. The easier it is for them to connect.

b.) the full backs needed to go into midfield when in comfortable possession to create numbers mismatches and help Enzo progress the ball through midfield. The transition through midfield to attack was so slow. Enzo was good when he had a target.

2.Where were Gallagher and Mount playing?

Issues:

I really don't know what Gallagher's position was. He tried extremely hard.

He wasn't very good.

He really can't get on the half turn when he receives the ball . He takes too many touches. Technically I just can't see a great footballer. But....maybe play him where Mount was and let him run onto the ball. A no10 sort of.

Mount. He's my guy and I have faith in him but he needs to be taken out of the team. He wants to play inside left. Not that Mudryk did anything but where the hell was he supposed to go between Mount and Cucurella occupying his position the whole time he was out there.

Solution: Now their positioning might have made sense if our fullbacks went into midfield when in comfortable possession. But if they weren't Conor needs to work harder to create a passing option for Enzo. Mount needed to be much much closer to Havertz. In that game. Basically a 2nd striker. So ahead of the ball you have: Mudryk, Ziyech, Mount, Havertz in centralish positions with Full backs wide..wide..wide. You should have two looking for a ball into feet but with 2 looking for the ball in behind...always. Disturbing the back 4.

3.) Havertz.

Now I do actually think he is a striker. Jury is out if he is a good one. But... pulling wide right whilst being the only discernable piece of a tactical plan I could see (the plan is to drag the centre halves across and create larger gaps centrally for Mount, Mudryk, Gallagher, Cucurella or whoever.

Nobody went into those gaps. Ever.

Havertz himself has poor movement. One time he spun in behind he should have scored. He's just not aggressive or sharp enough.

Solution: honestly? Sell. Play Fofana or whoever. The league isn't for him.

Chelsea obviously need a good striker.
            Last edited by Sparked_26; 02-04-2023, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• I agree with you there Sparked. Everything I see in Potter's tactics is that of a small club output. Small clubs play that linear, long wide style of play but it's only because small clubs tend to sit off, let opponents over commit and then hit them high and wide. Or through the middle if they have Vardy pace there. Teams sit off Chelsea generally, so that small club, Alan Pardew like tactical approach Potter has going on isn't going to work because there isn't half a pitch of space to exploit. Like Potter had with Brighton. There aren't gaps because teams don't over commit against Chelsea. Minus Real, Bayern, Barca, and City.

So, I agree there. Tactics are too poor but it's because Potter has a knowledge gap there.

Gallagher, I wish had more positional awareness but he is a young guy. It comes with the territory, especially when he is desperate to impress and make it at his boyhood club.

Mount.. I keep saying this... DELE ALI. Go put on any Spurs game where Dele played in a midfield 3 and superimpose it. You'll see them do the exact same thing, in the exact same situation, on the exact same minute. Mount is Dele Ali and its not a secret, people see it but don't want to admit it.

Also, Chelsea don't need a good striker tbh. We need a good midfield. Not a single player can serve up any chance. Buying another striker won't change that Mount can't pass, Kovacic can't assist, Kante can't not be injured, Gallagher is a virgin, while Enzo and Zakaria are the deepest players in midfield.

1000% need a Ruben Neves but Boehly like Roman aren't privy to it.

But I will say, just play Aubameyang at striker. Doesn't matter if he isn't good anymore. You do it because at the least, he'll occupy a defender with his movement and the guys underneath can flood after.

Havertz isn't a striker. He's what Thomas Muller is. You play him off a striker. Since none of Lampard, Tuchel, or Potter can understand Havertz is better used as a 10 or the midfield. He's stuck being a bum.

This is also why I don't believe Nkunku will work at Chelsea. Watch. He'll come and be turned into a winger because this is the only 'big' club that buys strikers and think "He'll be a great winger".
              BigZ44 BigZ44 likes this.

Comment

• Also,

Liverpool are dead.

Comment

• Messi from outside the box again.. His outside box goals are more than some ballers' career goals.

Comment

• 7 key passes smh.. Someone should tell him he is 35.

328607339_567110745301192_3650859509264114060_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_e35_s1080x1080&_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=rWWdmwXhWcMAX9HqHz4&edm=APs17CUBAAAA&ccb=7-5&oh=00_AfCVhzLwM8XtFqAQZGGnvQin1AQo79yOOq5OaouETrcYnQ&a

Comment

• PSG has been the biggest disappointment. Messi and Mbappe cannot co-exist.

But every so often you see a goal like the one Messi scored today, and you're reminded that when the GOAT wants to GOAT they can still beat anybody.

Comment

Working...
                      X