This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Locke View Post
    Alli can't play football, he's a poacher. He offers absolutely nothing on the ball. I don't know why people think he's a midfielder when he's clearly a forward.

Spurs are a very well drilled, well coached side, but individually, they haven't got top players. I feel that's what will cost them again, they'll finish 4th at very best.
    Exactly. They have top-class athletes with average skill overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Locke View Post
      Alli can't play football, he's a poacher. He offers absolutely nothing on the ball. I don't know why people think he's a midfielder when he's clearly a forward.

Spurs are a very well drilled, well coached side, but individually, they haven't got top players. I feel that's what will cost them again, they'll finish 4th at very best.
      Pleased someone else sees it.

I am sure if you saw Alli down goals he'd be tearing it up with skill but he's not gifted at the level he plays at. He's not outstanding at any one thing other than being able to put the thing in the net which is literally the most important thing. He looks awkward on the ball, has a very limited passing range, is not quick, has odd balance.

I agree with you too on his position - he is basically a striker who is poor with his back to goal so he is put where he can run onto the ball.

I honestly don't think Alli would be particularly useful to any team except Spurs because he is essentially a spare man in a system that allows it.

Pochetino probably is the best coach in the league. If he was at Man U and spent the billion quid or whatever they've spent since Red Nose went they would be firmly back on their perch.

Comment

• Na different kind of pressure managing the likes of United or Liverpool in comparison to Spurs/Everton/Southampton/Arsenal etc.. who don't have any real targets outside of 4th place every year

Some people can't handle it

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
          Na different kind of pressure managing the likes of United or Liverpool in comparison to Spurs/Everton/Southampton/Arsenal etc.. who don't have any real targets outside of 4th place every year

Some people can't handle it
          Spot on.

It's one thing managing sides who see fourth place as an historic achievement like Tottenham and Arsenal but it's another thing managing a side like Liverpool or Utd where anything less than the League and CL cup double is seen as a poor season.

Even though it's been a few years since we last won the league title our mentality and mindset has never changed, at the beginning of every season the league title is the target and anything less is a failure of a season.

With clubs like Spurs and Arsenal anything in the top 6 is a successful season, fourth is open top bus worthy.
          Last edited by Roy Jones Jnr; 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Poch is an absolute stud of a manager. As much as it pains me say it as Spurs fans are the worst - bodiesinflight apart of course.

Just look at the evolution of Danny Rose. That guy is possibly the best left-back in the league. Three seasons ago he was middling and the type of lad that goes to Hull City at best. In fact look at the whole team and tell me who he hasn't improved exponentially? That Janssen dude maybe who looks like an utter bum is the only one I can see.

A key thing about Spurs is really I wouldn't want any of their players at Chelsea because individually I don't really think they are top, top, level and don't really get the juices flowing. Even Harry Kane is levels below Costa. But their defence and midfield as a unit is the business. I'd take Aberweireld I suppose. Alli is functional as hell as is Harry Kane.

But you can argue they have class B eggs who will ultimately only be found out at champions league level and by the rest of the top 6 on occasion.

Mourinho wants to sign Griezemann. That obviously takes zero insight or tactical acumen to see that guy is probably the best player any team could feasibly sign in the entirety of football. In fact, signing the best players Man United could possibly sign has been Jose's MO so far because he knows in the end he will shoe-horn them into a cohesive unit - he is basically a cheque book manager. But I would argue Pochetino has essentially figured out English football and its demands to an impressive level. His team have a structure that he would replicate with greater success given greater resources.

To be fair Klopp seems to have done likewise and Antonio Conte himself has made a hell of a start.
            Last edited by Sparked_26; 01-06-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Oh Poch is a stud no doubt.

The longer Utd continue with Mourinho and stay well away from Poch the better.

But the step up from a club like Tottenham to a club like Utd or Liverpool is not to be underestimated. Not many managers can make it....wether Poch can or cannot we shall see.

Alls i know is Klopp is the best manager in the league, Factually.

No opinions involved, on pure facts Klopp takes the title of the best manager in the league.

Comment

• I was singing praise of Klopp well before his arrival to Liverpool and even welcomed his coming to Liverpool. So let me be one to say, Klopp is top notch.

But Poch is honestly the best coach in the league and possibly the game right now.

He really shows/preaches the idea, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"

He did it at Southampton. He had them firing on all cylinders and punching above their weight. Now he has Spurs doing the same with better players and has them sitting top 4.

Could you imagine him at a top club? Yeah, the demands are different at United or Bayern but even Poch said it himself. He's a coach, not a manager. He won't be involved in the board room like red nose but he would have United firing on all cylinders.

Just my opinion. Poch with elite level players. It would be a sight to see.

Comment

• It is hard to qualify who is the best manager.

Eddie Howe is probably up there in real terms. To get a little team like that to stay up (very easily) and play football is different level.

Pep is the one who despite what happens now has proven himself to be a bit of a vagina. Comparing a team with a blank cheque book to Villareal. He's a bum.

Comment

• I'm not sure with Eddie Howe. It's a feat he's doing but look at Ronald Koeman. Took over Poch's Hampton and did well, took over Everton... and they honestly probably took a step back from Martinez's time there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
                      Spot on.

It's one thing managing sides who see fourth place as an historic achievement like Tottenham and Arsenal but it's another thing managing a side like Liverpool or Utd where anything less than the League and CL cup double is seen as a poor season.

Even though it's been a few years since we last won the league title our mentality and mindset has never changed, at the beginning of every season the league title is the target and anything less is a failure of a season.

With clubs like Spurs and Arsenal anything in the top 6 is a successful season, fourth is open top bus worthy.

Just a shame you never win the league or qualify for Europe. But you do try.

Comment

Working...
                      X