Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Liberals, the Green Movement, Abortion, Gay Marriage are all connected

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(CNN) -- Human-induced global warming is real, according to a recent U.S. survey based on the opinions of 3,146 scientists. However there remains divisions between climatologists and scientists from other areas of earth sciences as to the extent of human responsibility.

Against a backdrop of harsh winter weather across much of North America and Europe, the concept of rising global temperatures might seem incongruous.

However the results of the investigation conducted at the end of 2008 reveal that vast majority of the Earth scientists surveyed agree that in the past 200-plus years, mean global temperatures have been rising and that human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures.

The study released today was conducted by academics from the University of Illinois, who used an online questionnaire of nine questions. The scientists approached were listed in the 2007 edition of the American Geological Institute's Directory of Geoscience Departments.

Two questions were key: Have mean global temperatures risen compared to pre-1800s levels, and has human activity been a significant factor in changing mean global temperatures?

About 90 percent of the scientists agreed with the first question and 82 percent the second.

The strongest consensus on the causes of global warming came from climatologists who are active in climate research, with 97 percent agreeing humans play a role.

Petroleum geologists and meteorologists were among the biggest doubters, with only 47 percent and 64 percent, respectively, believing in human involvement.

"The petroleum geologist response is not too surprising, but the meteorologists' is very interesting," said Peter Doran associate professor of earth and environmental sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and one of the survey's authors.

"Most members of the public think meteorologists know climate, but most of them actually study very short-term phenomenon."

However, Doran was not surprised by the near-unanimous agreement by climatologists.

"They're the ones who study and publish on climate science. So I guess the take-home message is, the more you know about the field of climate science, the more you're likely to believe in global warming and humankind's contribution to it.

"The debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific basis of long-term climate processes," said Doran.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...vey/index.html

Comment

I don't come out strongly either way because it is true that a large majority of scientists in certain fields believe in man-made warming. At the same time, a large majority of scientists has been wrong before: see "Ice Age" paranoia in the 60's-70's and look at how wrong mainstream economists have been the entire century. Also, the fact that those that want world government will use global warming to further their agenda gives me pause. Peer pressure is very powerful in academia, especially when the funding comes from the Feds.

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
        "The sad thing is they let these anti science ****ers vote!"

You said that.. there is not an overwhelming Majority of scientists who "matter" that agree on anything..

Who says these guys matter as opposed to those who don't matter??? Only the ones who agree??? BINGO!! you are a perfect example of that mentality
        Seriously.. don't tell me you listen to yourself and then ram you foot ankle deep down your throat..

There is too much opposition to this "theory" which is all it is BTW eh?

All I have seen is one web site used to refute another.. that is it.. wow such overwhelming evidence

I believe in evolution up to a point.. But again there is no 100% proof of that either

Again I never said "take away their right to vote"... Thats you reading into something thats not there. Kind of like your arguement about global warming... There will ALWAYS be opposition to anything considered political. I could have wrote a thesis much like yours talking about how Republicans use the Bible to pass most of their "agenda" on people, but I really dont have the time to break it down like that. I could rattle off **** just like that but I choose not to, because ultimately you believe what you believe.

Here is a question for you though... Have you thought about what happens if it is real? Probably not, but just think about how scary that **** will be when the ice caps melt and your ass is wishing that you had paid more attention to those scientists. A lot of Republicans it seems dont "believe" in global warming because it was Gore that got credit for bringing it to the forefront of the national spot light. Because it was Gore they made it a political issue, and thats why you have so many people who oppose it.

I can remember being in grade school in the 80's learning about global warming, and there wasn't much "opposition" then. How come? Its because Al got credit for it, and Republicans would rather argue in the face of scientific fact than admit that Al Gore did anything right.

Comment

Global warming is a hoax, plain and simple. Refer to my thread-starting post for evidence. The ice levels rose in recent years. That is fact, not opinion. I don't care how many polar bears on a small block of ice the liberal media shows.

Comment

Scientist are now realizing that their compute models have been inaccurate.

" I believe that when the stabilizing effects of precipitation systems are better understood and included into the models, predictions of global warming will be scaled back.

Despite current inadequacies, climate models are still our best tools for forecasting global warming. Those tools just aren't sharp enough yet. "
            Dr.Roy Spencer.
            I've also heard rumors that the administration is aware that global warming is becoming less and less a consensus. So policies are being worded as clean air policies and in effect ditching "global warming".

Comment

Originally posted by Texasboy34 View Post
              Wow... The sad thing is they let these anti science ****ers vote! It still amazes me that we are still having the global warming debate. This is not a ****ing debate.. This is a SCIENTIC FACT. I guess you are also in the camp that says the world is only a few thousand years old, and that people rode dinosaurs to work like the Fred and Barney! It seems to me that the people that have the most problem with this are religious right of the GOP. Those bible thumping weirdos are the reason why the GOP fell off so hard, and they are also the reason why the GOP has lost a couple of generations of voters. If the GOP doesn't do something to quiet that wing of the party, and get with the times we might be looking at a situation where we have a legit 3rd party. Not saying soon, but over time I see something like this happening within the GOP... hell the cracks are visible now you just have to look.
              You're INCREDIBLY WRONG. If anything, the GOP moved to the left, I don't know what you mean by these far right people. That's the reason why nobody voted for the Republicans this past election. What we NEEDED was a guy who was to the right of the GOP, a Reaganite. Obama was talking like a conservative until he got elected, or at least a centrist. However, he's moved exponentially towards radicalism as president.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasboy34 View Post

Again I never said "take away their right to vote"... Thats you reading into something thats not there. Kind of like your arguement about global warming... There will ALWAYS be opposition to anything considered political. I could have wrote a thesis much like yours talking about how Republicans use the Bible to pass most of their "agenda" on people, but I really dont have the time to break it down like that. I could rattle off **** just like that but I choose not to, because ultimately you believe what you believe.

Here is a question for you though... Have you thought about what happens if it is real? Probably not, but just think about how scary that **** will be when the ice caps melt and your ass is wishing that you had paid more attention to those scientists. A lot of Republicans it seems dont "believe" in global warming because it was Gore that got credit for bringing it to the forefront of the national spot light. Because it was Gore they made it a political issue, and thats why you have so many people who oppose it.

I can remember being in grade school in the 80's learning about global warming, and there wasn't much "opposition" then. How come? Its because Al got credit for it, and Republicans would rather argue in the face of scientific fact than admit that Al Gore did anything right.
                I do not deny man has an effect on Nature.. BUT even little old inbred me can summarize that last time I looked Mankind was indigenous to planet Earth and therefore as natural as a slug and some trees.. even his behavior.. it's nature as well..
                Ok with that out of the way.. Yes we have problems.. But I do not believe the temperature is one of them.. More pressing is the extinction of animals.. Fresh water, The oceans , Food distribution, disease, traffic jams, Crime, etc etc etc... Why is so much being done on theory based on science that can't predict the weather accurately next week let alone next year or 50 years from now..

Why do you think my opinion is always based on religion or politics??

I am not much of either..

Comment

I do not deny man has an effect on Nature.. BUT even little old inbred me can summarize that last time I looked Mankind was indigenous to planet Earth and therefore as natural as a slug and some trees.. even his behavior.. it's nature as well..
                  Ok with that out of the way.. Yes we have problems.. But I do not believe the temperature is one of them.. More pressing is the extinction of animals.. Fresh water, The oceans , Food distribution, disease, traffic jams, Crime, etc etc etc... Why is so much being done on theory based on science that can't predict the weather accurately next week let alone next year or 50 years from now..

Why do you think my opinion is always based on religion or politics??

I am not much of either..
                  Why are you even bothering arguing with that imbecile. He still thinks that nobody voted for the GOP because the party moved to the right. McCain lost because he wasn't conservative ENOUGH.

Comment

How come then Good Sir... every time someone opposes the mainstream..
                    They are "radicals".. lets find something they said.. and use it to discredit their whole stance.. better yet .. let's use it to define them..

History is littered with such cases.. The Soviets were masters at it...SO is the American media

This is not the only site.. but I suspect whatever evidence I use.. so long as it is contrary to the mainstream view.. There will be some sort of smear campaign already begun to discredit hard science based on a few character flaws or political ideals..

And yet I am told to ignore the discrepancies in Al Gores pile of tripe because he means well even if he IS wrong..

The charts are NOT wrong.. even if you don't like the man who runs the website.
                    I merely provided you with the insight of who runs that site and exactly what aims are behind his motives. According to peer review ( part of the scientific process ) the data does not add up. Only 2 of those links you posted even mention scientists.
                    Nils-Axel Mörner (who claims a sea-level rise of 1.1mm while satellite imagery shows a rise of roughly 3.3mm source source source etc...).
                    The second scientist mentioned in the links is Bob Carter and his main arguments boil down to four key points which I'll list.
                    The Troposphere is getting colder - it is in fact actually warming. He is a marine geologist, not a climatologist so it's forgivable source source
                    Solar cycle - While being a geologist obviously does not make you a cosmologist or physicist, here are findings from an actual physicist source (you can skip to conclusions if you don't want to read the whole thing)
                    Glaciers growing, not shrinking - This was actually a myth ( and then an admitted typo ) started by a false paper and given credibility by David Bellamy (You can read about him here). He joined the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition which was founded by none other than previously mentioned Bob Carter ( imagine that ) and his scientific reputation was put into question after the incident.
                    Water vapor causing warming, not greenhouse gasses - This is just a debate of what causes it, not if there is a cause warming the Earth. There is no contention about effect, just cause.

In other words, the chart data does not reach the conclusions the scientists have put forth. It's been peer-reviewed and found to be false. No one believes it but the people who do not understand it.

It's not a matter of liking the man who runs the website, it's understanding the motives and rationale behind his actions.

This information is not hard to find nor difficult to obtain. It just takes a little critical analysis and thought on the part of the reader.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X