No announcement yet.

Debunking *********ity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GMitchell View Post
    Yeah, a "leviathan beast" is mentioned or something. Even though science has proven the last of the dinosaurs existed somewhere between 64 and 65 million years prior to the bible. lmao.
    Leviathan and Behemoth are the ones mentioned. Rational theologians believe that these refer to hippos and elephants. Irrational bible literalists use creative interpretation in order to make them sound like the more popular dinosaurs.

That's because those people have already decided not only how the world is now, but that any dissent in this is somehow inherently wrong. So they make whatever evidence they think they have fit that prejudice regardless of how ludicrous it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
      And you are already convinced they are wrong or else you would not be debating......lets not be hypocritical
      And lets not judge people based on one statement. Have I decided that they're wrong?? Why don't you tell me what else I've decided because I'd really like to know.

It doesn't take a PhD in Philosophy to see glaring inconsistencies in the bible, and among those things, others that are bordering ridiculous. What I'm saying is that when you present most *********s (or the ones I've spoken with at least) with these things, they twist and turn the story to make it fit an ideal, regardless of how implausible it sounds. That's more of a man made truth than it is a divine truth, IMO.

I'm not convinced that the bible is true or false. It's likely impossible to prove or disprove everything. To sit there and believe every word written in it is mindless. And to discredit everything written in it is more of a middle finger to *********s than it is a solid basis for an argument. Believing or disbelieving almost seems like it's done for the sake of doing it, rather than because it's something worthy of believing or disbelieving.

But I've seen enough and heard enough from *********s to think that most of them believe because it's what they're supposed to do. That's a very hard thing to respect.

Comment

Well at least you arehonest and open-minded regarding both sides of the issue. Most on here just post unsupported biased hate comments regarding the opposing side's beliefs.

I choose to believe because I had inner emotions and a sense or calling if you will to believe. I started listening to ********* radio programming and then reading the Bible and watching religious shows on the History Channel. My dad is reiligious but my mom is not very religious. I did not have anyone forcing religion on me when I was a child so it kind of just grew on me. Now I am proud to say I believe and I pray in public, not caring what people think or say..unlike some *********s. I don't hold it against people who do not believe, they are free to believe what they choose

Comment

Well at least you arehonest and open-minded regarding both sides of the issue. Most on here just post unsupported biased hate comments regarding the opposing side's beliefs.

I choose to believe because I had inner emotions and a sense or calling if you will to believe. I started listening to ********* radio programming and then reading the Bible and watching religious shows on the History Channel. My dad is reiligious but my mom is not very religious. I did not have anyone forcing religion on me when I was a child so it kind of just grew on me. Now I am proud to say I believe and I pray in public, not caring what people think or say..unlike some *********s. I don't hold it against people who do not believe, they are free to believe what they choose
          Thats good, what are your views on abortion?

Comment

Yeah, but that's not to say it isn't just your mind working in ways outside your conciousness. You could be sub-conciously fond of the concept of religion and therefore predisposed to convince yourself of it's existence? Not that i'm trying to force my views on you or any *********, just point out that statistically and logically there is very little reason to buy into it.

It's popularity is a reason lots of people convince themselves - "It seems most people in my country believe this, maybe there's something to it", but as stated earlier, this is due to it's bloody past of being forced upon people of a country by it's conquerors through methods of war and slaughter which go against the very morals they preach. "Believe in our religion which states murder is a sin - or we'll kill you!"

In addition, from what I have personally experienced amongst *********s I know the ratio of *********s who sin and convince themselves they're sorry and ask for forgiveness is 99-1. It's the perfect system for them - they can sin as much as they like, but as long as they 'repent' - i.e acknowledge what they did was wrong, they don't have to have it on their conscience. Acknowleding that you SHOULD repent is not a form of remorse like they convince themselves. But hell, it's a system that works for them, I can see why it flies so well with 'em.

Comment

Yeah, but that's not to say it isn't just your mind working in ways outside your conciousness. You could be sub-conciously fond of the concept of religion and therefore predisposed to convince yourself of it's existence? Not that i'm trying to force my views on you or any *********, just point out that statistically and logically there is very little reason to buy into it.

It's popularity is a reason lots of people convince themselves - "It seems most people in my country believe this, maybe there's something to it", but as stated earlier, this is due to it's bloody past of being forced upon people of a country by it's conquerors through methods of war and slaughter which go against the very morals they preach. "Believe in our religion which states murder is a sin - or we'll kill you!"

In addition, from what I have personally experienced amongst *********s I know the ratio of *********s who sin and convince themselves they're sorry and ask for forgiveness is 99-1. It's the perfect system for them - they can sin as much as they like, but as long as they 'repent' - i.e acknowledge what they did was wrong, they don't have to have it on their conscience. Acknowleding that you SHOULD repent is not a form of remorse like they convince themselves. But hell, it's a system that works for them, I can see why it flies so well with 'em.
              Like former Evagelical preacher Ted Haggard, who ****ed male prostitutes and blamed it on magical demons unstead of fessing up and admitting that he is a hypocrite **** who preached one thing but did another.

Although I will admit, faith is a good tool for convicts who take up a bible and it changes them for the better. As long as they don't go Malcom X on us and start preaching it's alright. Don't use your story to promote your religion just because you were weak minded and did bad things. Most of us can live a good life without commiting murder, **** etc,. without any holy books.
              Last edited by Vladimir303; 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                Thats good, what are your views on abortion?
                I'm kind of neutral regarding abortion. I mean, I don't agree with killing anyone, especially the helpless but I can see where there may be instances where it may be justified. If there is going to be some kind of birth defect that will lead to a significantly reduced quality of life or lifespan. Say a child is going to be born with a degenerative disease that is going to cause the child to die at like age 3 or 5 or whatever and be on a life support system. The child would lead a miserable existence with little to no friends, no joy of life, and die in pain. I think that allowing some one to suffer like that when they themselves may not want to even live is wrong. But there are women out there that get pregnant because they are having unprotected *** at young ages and having multiple abortions are guilty of murder just as if they were to kill someone who was 20 yrs old. Kids now days are getting knocked up at 16 and 17 years old..they are often immature and ill equipped to raise kids, no money and no education. It is a tough thing to regulate I guess, how well can you actually forecast the life expectancy of someone who has not even been born yet? I think there are exceptions although I thin a majority of women who do it are using it as a cop-out to growing up and raising the kid that they weren't too proud to have *** to produce...if you want to have ***, use a rubber or take a pill...if you don't use protection, you deserve what you have coming to you.

I keep hearing everyone refer to the bloody past of *********ity, however I am a pacifist and think that war of any kind is wrong. I can't make up for how *********ity was spread throughout history nor can I justify it. However, I believe that those who were responsible for the death and war were not true believers in God or Jesus and only used religion as a power tactic because the Catholic Church was where the power was. God shows no mercy to those who use religion as a basis for sin. What about the origins of Islam? I believe that religion was started and founded in an aggressive fashion and the founder was a military leader who killed the ***ish for not believing in Islamic doctrine. How come it's only *********s that get called out? I actually think that *********ity is becoming less popular in Americ as the years pass....you can't have "under God" in public arenas and religious radio talk, now has to have opponents on their shows so that "equal" viewpoints can be heard regarding religion (how come no other radio shows such as political ones have such regulations imposed on them?) The Bible says that *********ity will be persecuted and faded out by everyone and you can see it happening more and more every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladimir303 View Post
                  Like former Evagelical preacher Ted Haggard, who ****ed male prostitutes and blamed it on magical demons unstead of fessing up and admitting that he is a hypocrite **** who preached one thing but did another.

Although I will admit, faith is a good tool for convicts who take up a bible and it changes them for the better. As long as they don't go Malcom X on us and start preaching it's alright. Don't use your story to promote your religion just because you were weak minded and did bad things. Most of us can live a good life without commiting murder, **** etc,. without any holy books.
                  Hey, i'm not saying to believe in *********ity is wrong, in fact as long as taken in the correct context it can help the world. Unfortunately too many people don't and won't do so. I'm just pointing out arguments against it's existence. I am by no means convinced there is no "God", I just find a lot of plot holes and a lot of the stories of the Bible to be almost comically illogical. I think the problem is that beliefs whether valid or not don't change human nature and therefore people just find excuses within their beliefs to carry out that human nature.

Example - Larry is an evil minded bastard who wants to kill innocent people.

Hypothesis 1 - He's a *********. He will most likely convince himself that people deserve to die and are unworthy of God, develop a God complex and convince himself God is telling him to kill people and convince himself he will be rewarded in heaven.

Hypothesis 2 - He's an Atheist. He will decide that his actions have no consequences on his overall future outside of life and therefore kill people at will.

I believe that no matter what someones Religious beliefs are their basic nature will always come through anyway. That's apparent given the amount of pedophile Priests who've been convicted. I acknowledge however that this doesn't prove or disprove the existence of God or any other deity. Just suggests that beliefs in such beings in most cases won't stop someone from going ahead with that their brain tells them to.

Comment

ok

I'm kind of neutral regarding abortion. I mean, I don't agree with killing anyone, especially the helpless but I can see where there may be instances where it may be justified. If there is going to be some kind of birth defect that will lead to a significantly reduced quality of life or lifespan. Say a child is going to be born with a degenerative disease that is going to cause the child to die at like age 3 or 5 or whatever and be on a life support system. The child would lead a miserable existence with little to no friends, no joy of life, and die in pain. I think that allowing some one to suffer like that when they themselves may not want to even live is wrong. But there are women out there that get pregnant because they are having unprotected *** at young ages and having multiple abortions are guilty of murder just as if they were to kill someone who was 20 yrs old. Kids now days are getting knocked up at 16 and 17 years old..they are often immature and ill equipped to raise kids, no money and no education. It is a tough thing to regulate I guess, how well can you actually forecast the life expectancy of someone who has not even been born yet? I think there are exceptions although I thin a majority of women who do it are using it as a cop-out to growing up and raising the kid that they weren't too proud to have *** to produce...if you want to have ***, use a rubber or take a pill...if you don't use protection, you deserve what you have coming to you.
                    So you agree that we should be teaching safe *** from a young age, right?

Comment

I keep hearing everyone refer to the bloody past of *********ity, however I am a pacifist and think that war of any kind is wrong. I can't make up for how *********ity was spread throughout history nor can I justify it. However, I believe that those who were responsible for the death and war were not true believers in God or Jesus and only used religion as a power tactic because the Catholic Church was where the power was. God shows no mercy to those who use religion as a basis for sin. What about the origins of Islam? I believe that religion was started and founded in an aggressive fashion and the founder was a military leader who killed the ***ish for not believing in Islamic doctrine. How come it's only *********s that get called out? I actually think that *********ity is becoming less popular in Americ as the years pass....you can't have "under God" in public arenas and religious radio talk, now has to have opponents on their shows so that "equal" viewpoints can be heard regarding religion (how come no other radio shows such as political ones have such regulations imposed on them?) The Bible says that *********ity will be persecuted and faded out by everyone and you can see it happening more and more every year.
                      When I refer to *********ity's bloody history, I'm not doing it as a tool to convince people that's why it may be wrong, so much as that's why it's so widespread as a religion, therefore debunking the argument of majority - as in, *********ity is the most popular religion worldwide, and this may serve as a reason for some to believe it or at least consider it the most plausible religion, but i'm pointing out that it's gaining of such widespread belief isn't due to it's credibility as a religion but actually due to the brutal nature and violent bigotry of those who made it such a popular one.

Comment

Working...
                      X