Religulous is a glorious movie!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raabd View Post
    Maher just tellin' it like it is.
    That's quite ironic that Maher, a man of no religion, goes so deep to showcase the "dangers" of religion and the "destruction" it has (and is) causing yet oddly enough, the greatest threat and human destruction of millions of individuals was perpetrated by Joseph Stalin and Mao Zedong who surprisingly enough were atheists. Now I'm not saying that their non-belief in theism (atheism) caused it. That's to be argued in another topic. But secular led governments can be just as destructive as theologically driven nations as history has proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar-Mosley123 View Post
      That's quite ironic that Maher, a man of no religion, goes so deep to showcase the "dangers" of religion and the "destruction" it has (and is) causing yet oddly enough, the greatest threat and human destruction of millions of individuals was perpetrated by Joseph Stalin and Mao Zedong who surprisingly enough were atheists. Now I'm not saying that their non-belief in theism (atheism) caused it. That's to be argued in another topic. But secular led governments can be just as destructive as theologically driven nations as history has proven.
      an excellent point.

im not a religious person, but the concept of this movie annoyed me. oh, let's make fun of religious people and their silly beliefs, and sip starbucks coffee with our little finger flaired out and chuckle pompously at the proles and their "god."

i hate people like bill maher who are so quick to speak disdainfully of anything that doesnt make sense to them.

Comment

Maher isn't atheist, he's agnostic. Atheist means you're absolutely certain no god exists and maher never says that, BUT he does say that religion and the bible are bs. I think people confuse atheism with agnosticism.

Comment

Originally posted by AKOINDAMATRIX View Post
          The movie will offend a lot of people but they need to hear their invisible man is not real.........
          Im not religious, nor do i believe in God. The movie wasnt about proving God isnt real, it was meant, as Bill himself says during the film, to preach doubt, which im all for. I think doubt is very important. And questioning our beliefs is also very important. But the film sets out to make religious people look stupid. Which should be offensive to any intelligent person, religious or not.

Comment

Maher isn't atheist, he's agnostic. Atheist means you're absolutely certain no god exists and maher never says that, BUT he does say that religion and the bible are bs. I think people confuse atheism with agnosticism.
            Most atheists simply dont believe in a God. Only a few would say they KNOW there is no God.

From my experience.

Comment

Never said he was. I said he is a man of no religion. And by the way he's actually a theist but does not believe in any one religion. Also, people categorize agnosticism as falling under atheism. Because agnostics are non-theists, they are labeled under atheists much of the time. Except for the few agnostic theists but I don't think that's Maher...

Atheists are so happy with this movie yet totally disregard the belief or lack thereof, between Stalin and Mao and forget how even atheists can cause destruction while in power. I made a reference to secular and theologically driven governments to contrast the "destruction" that Maher so willingly portrays...
              Last edited by Don Corleone; 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Never said he was. I said he is a man of no religion. And by the way he's actually a theist but does not believe in any one religion. Also, people categorize agnosticism as falling under atheism. Because agnostics are non-theists, they are labeled under atheists much of the time. Except for the few agnostic theists but I don't think that's Maher...

Atheists are so happy with this movie yet totally disregard the belief or lack thereof, between Stalin and Mao and how even atheists can cause destruction while in power. I made a reference to secular and theologically driven governments to contrast the "destruction" that Maher so willingly portrays...
                From what I've heard, maher always say's he's from the "I don't know" (agnostic) view point. I've watched his show and he say's he also has a problem with atheist's because they are also on one side of the spectrum just like the religous folks are. I agree with you that there are also non religous folks that are bad people but the difference is they're not hypocrites like the religous people who kill in the name of god and say they are validated in what they do. Isn't religion supposed to teach us peace and tolerance?

Comment

From what I've heard, maher always say's he's from the "I don't know" (agnostic) view point. I've watched his show and he say's he also has a problem with atheist's because they are also on one side of the spectrum just like the religous folks are. I agree with you that there are also non religous folks that are bad people but the difference is they're not hypocrites like the religous people who kill in the name of god and say they are validated in what they do. Isn't religion supposed to teach us peace and tolerance?
                  If you go to wikepdia, Maher can be quoted as saying he definitely believes in a God which is the common misconception for folks that don't know that Maher is a theist, not an atheist. Theism is the belief in a deity or a Creator. Maher belives in a Creator as he has pointed out.

I am certainly not going to speak on another religion other than my own. And one should not attribute violence committed by the followers of a religion unto the entire religion itself nor should it be attributed to the founder of the religion and the original message unless its message condones and promotes violence.

When you say "religious" people... you are certainly generalizing a mass population that's in the billions. Not all religions are the same yet this movie simply portrays the opposite. It classifies all religion into one single group. It deems it "threatening" when only looking at a select few who cause violence in the name of their respective religion. Yet they ignore the fact that there are far more worshipers who shouldn't be grouped with other religious followers nor should be grouped with the small minority of dangerous people associated with their faith. It's nothing more than a nice cut and edit sequence. Anyone using the "Maher" technique and holding such a strong bias to one view can make any idea and issue they disagree with seem ridiculous.

Comment

This movie went some of the way of showing that religion is a load of bull!

Comment

Originally posted by AKOINDAMATRIX View Post
                      This movie went some of the way of showing that religion is a load of bull!

You praise the movie that Maher made than you post this. This video questions the concept of a Creator. The Maher movie questions religion. Maher is not an atheist therefore his perception on the movie is not to question God's existence but rather to question religion.

Comment

Working...
                      X