More distorted history celebrated tomorrow: Columbus Day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More distorted history celebrated tomorrow: Columbus Day

(reposted)

This was not written by me...but I felt compelled to share the info. Did not research it for accuracy...but I wouldnt be surprised if it was completely true...it does fit. Enjoy!
    Catherine

We've all been lied to about Columbus.
    Before Columbus sailed the Atlantic, he was a slave trader for the Portuguese, transporting West African people to Portugal to be sold as slaves. Columbus initiated the first Trans-Atlantic slave trade. Columbus, brother and son continued slave trading of indigenous peoples from the Americas to Europe, and from Africa to the Caribbean. Under his administration as viceroy and governor of the Caribbean Islands, more than 8 million people were killed, making his "contribution" to history the first mass genocide of indigenous peoples. The Columbus legacy is steeped in blood, violence and death.

Celebrating Columbus Day not only teaches children to honor a cruel and brutal man, but it also encourages people to ignore and support racist practices that are embedded in social, economic, political, and judicial systems.
    "Christopher Columbus was the spearhead of the biggest invasion and genocide ever seen in the history of humanity." --The President of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez
    --Off of the information provided above I encourage everyone that reads this message to join in a silent protest against Columbus Day. On Monday, October 12, 2005, I ask of you to wear all black. This silent protest is to acknowledge the truth behind this holiday and to remember all the lives that were lost because of this man.
    October 12th is not the day the “New World” was discovered, October 12th is the day that death, turmoil and racism was set forth by Christopher Columbus’ greed. This day in history is the beginning of the end for our African, Indigenous peoples, and Native American ancestors.
    We Latino’s, African Americans, and Native Americans have no reason to honor Columbus
    -FYI: The second Monday in October was declared a national public holiday by President Richard Nixon in 1971.
    The links below will guide you in critically evaluating the role of Christopher Columbus and his legacy of his oppression and cultural domination.

http://www.transformcolumbusday.org/articles.html
    http://www.dickshovel.com/500.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3184668.stm

Whats worse is that his last name wasnt even really Columbus!!!

Comment

Stupidest holiday of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Stupidest holiday of the year.
        not for us italians...

its the only holiday that seems to be strictly ours as a race/nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
          Whats worse is that his last name wasnt even really Columbus!!!
          cristobol Colon

Comment

Read a pretty good book called 1434 that talked about the Chinese possibly discovering North and South America before Columbus did. Possibly providing maps for Columbus and others to reach the Americas. As well they may have helped spark the Renaissance in Europe. The same guy Gavin Menzies wrote another book 1421 that talks about these great Chinese Fleets. Is Columbus really the discoverer of America maybe, but their could be other options.

Comment

Working...
            X