X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Nick Name View Post

Not non-believers, but non-faithful. The Bible is all about Faith, not belief.
    My point still stands.

That's what Faith is all about: believing in something you can't see or touch or control or even understand. Faith is a gift if you choose to accept it.
    I dont see faith as a choice presented to us. Either you have it or you dont. And i believe faith is desired by people to serve a purpose. As a comfort or coping mechanism mainly.
    To give people hope and assurance.
    I find these things elsewhere, and dont need religious faith.

Obedience is a precious and underrated virtue. It requires humility and sincerity. When you choose to sacrify your own ego to obey to a good rule, that usually mean that you're not lying to yourself.
    Obedience to something u dont understand can be incredibly stupid and dangerous.
    Humility and sincerity are also required when choosing to acknowledge that although the notion of an absolute divine morality sounds great, there is no basis for it, and we must do the best we can as mortals.
    Don't respect, and consequentially disagree with. I don't see how such a perfect and magnificent universe coulnd't be the fruit of a superior entity.
    Anyway, by saying that I don't respect your opinions I don't mean that I don't respect you as a living creature.
    Perfect how?

God of the gaps...yawn.

They're all lucubrations: your brain is much more limited than you think. No offence, but trying to "beat" faith with logic speculations is just haughty, and well, stupid.
    Kettle...black.
    Are u saying not having faith in something which probably doesnt exist is stupid?

Nope: you are just fixing the breakdown with the wrong tool.
    Trying to explain Faith with reasoning is like trying to tighten a screw with a pencil.
    Ive already explained religious faith. See above.

God is one and religions are just like languages and traditions: any culture has its own, all equally respectable. God's law is the law of love.
    Religions disagree.

Nope. Maybe acts of brutality or vengeance sometimes, but not acts of pure evil. Those are only devil deeds, not God's. Lot of evil has been done in the name of God and religion, but all of it have only been caused by men's sins and wrong choices.
    Religious texts disagree.

Hell exists because Paradise exists: there can't be good without evil, no right without wrong.
    So...hell must exist because 'paradise' exists.??
    So if i asked, how do u know paradise exists...you would explain..."because hell exists".

lol

You will probably change idea later in your life.
    If you say so...

Comment

• Originally posted by phook View Post
      Can I have sex outside of marriage? Will I goto hell?
      Course you can pal. Do what you want dude, God will forgive. All you have to do is repent and everything is fine. You could kill a million babies and it's ok as long as you accept Jesus, and ask for forgiveness, you will be welcomed in the kingdom of heaven.

It's a great system.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
        Course you can pal. Do what you want dude, God will forgive. All you have to do is repent and everything is fine. You could kill a million babies and it's ok as long as you accept Jesus, and ask for forgiveness, you will be welcomed in the kingdom of heaven.

It's a great system.
        Quick question - is your username taken from the name of the insane idiot archangel who pretended to be god in His Dark Materials?

Comment

• Can someone explain to me the difference between faith and gullibility? Im not detecting a clear difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
            Can someone explain to me the difference between faith and gullibility? Im not detecting a clear difference.
            Gullible people don't threaten you if you don't share their delusions.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              Gullible people don't threaten you if you don't share their delusions.
              Lol, fair enough. Although my daughter does threaten me with coal in my stocking every time she disagrees with one of my decisions. I just can't imagine having total faith in something with no evidence to support it. If someone actually studied every religion in the world and decided one seemed more probable than the others, I could accept that. Declaring that your own religion is the truth because of what your parents told you to believe is just plain ignorance.

Comment

Can someone explain to me the difference between faith and gullibility? Im not detecting a clear difference.
                I think faith just helps some people. The fact it isnt based on evidence and has no real shape to it means it can fit into many peoples lives, where they feel they have some spiritual void, or need direction, purpose, reassurance, etc.

I dont think its about being gullible as in they have been duped into believing some horse *****. Many may grow up with religion only to leave it, but then find it more attractive as they get older and their lives get difficult. Me thinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                  I think faith just helps some people. The fact it isnt based on evidence and has no real shape to it means it can fit into many peoples lives, where they feel they have some spiritual void, or need direction, purpose, reassurance, etc.

I dont think its about being gullible as in they have been duped into believing some horse *****. Many may grow up with religion only to leave it, but then find it more attractive as they get older and their lives get difficult. Me thinks.
                  While I disagree with the bolded, the rest of the post is on. If faith helps people fine, but that faith doesnt exist inside me or many others so for us faith and gullibility fall into the same category.

Comment

While I disagree with the bolded, the rest of the post is on. If faith helps people fine, but that faith doesnt exist inside me or many others so for us faith and gullibility fall into the same category.
                    Well, im not religious, but i can understand peoples religious faith and gullibility as two quite different things.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                      Well, im not religious, but i can understand peoples religious faith and gullibility as two quite different things.
                      Maybe naivety would have been a better choice of words, but what is the difference between faith in God and believing in the Easter bunny? For children its the same principle, so would you consider them to be naive(gullible) or religiously faithful?

Comment

Working...
                      X