X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      Might as well make this thread worthwhile...

Hey Piggy, have you finished reading The Demon Haunted World yet? Just picked it up yesterday and only managed to get a quarter way through before I got busy, had to put it aside. So far it seems like a great book and I plan on picking up Pale Blue Dot and The Dragons of Eden when I'm done.

You'd mentioned a good book before too, something about "The Book of Dave" (I think it was called that...), I'm going to add that to my reading list. Any others you can suggest off the top of your head?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
        Might as well make this thread worthwhile...

Hey Piggy, have you finished reading The Demon Haunted World yet? Just picked it up yesterday and only managed to get a quarter way through before I got busy, had to put it aside. So far it seems like a great book and I plan on picking up Pale Blue Dot and The Dragons of Eden when I'm done.

You'd mentioned a good book before too, something about "The Book of Dave" (I think it was called that...), I'm going to add that to my reading list. Any others you can suggest off the top of your head?
        Still working through it. I should get through a sizeable chunk today though. It's fantastic.

Yeah Book of Dave by Will Self is really good. If you want some more fiction read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. If it's non-fiction and you haven't read it yet then the Selfish Gene by Dawkins, or the Ancestor's Tale.

Comment

Still working through it. I should get through a sizeable chunk today though. It's fantastic.

Yeah Book of Dave by Will Self is really good. If you want some more fiction read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. If it's non-fiction and you haven't read it yet then the Selfish Gene by Dawkins, or the Ancestor's Tale.
          Yea, I have the Selfish Gene (as well as The Blind Watchmaker, Unweaving the Rainbow and The God Delusion. I plan on getting The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution soon as well).

I've read a few of Gaiman's stuff including Neverwhere and American Gods too (and of course the Sandman series). All of them were excellent.

Any insight on:
          Why I am Not a Christian: And Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects By Bertrand Russel
          Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
          God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens
          Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism by David Mills

Been meaning to pick those up, worth a buy or just head to the library?

Comment

• Not read any of them, but a friend of mine rates Sam Harris very highly. Harris says that he doesn't like the word "atheist" because he thinks it is label which defined its subject in the negative. He prefers the term "brights" (which I don't like because despite his and Daniel Dennett's protestations to the contrary, it implies that people with religious faith are NOT bright... This is not necessarily the case). On the other hand Hitchens describes himself as Anti-Theist. So on the spectrum of atheism it looks like Dawkins holds the middle ground!

Comment

Not read any of them, but a friend of mine rates Sam Harris very highly. Harris says that he doesn't like the word "atheist" because he thinks it is label which defined its subject in the negative. He prefers the term "brights" (which I don't like because despite his and Daniel Dennett's protestations to the contrary, it implies that people with religious faith are NOT bright... This is not necessarily the case). On the other hand Hitchens describes himself as Anti-Theist. So on the spectrum of atheism it looks like Dawkins holds the middle ground!
              Maybe Atheism needs a rebrand like Creationism to Intelligent Design... How about Atheism to Intelligent Skepticism?

I've never read any of those author's works but it's good to hear Harris has at least some fans. I've avoided Hitchens because of his extreme dislike of theism (often distasteful and insulting) but I'm leaning toward reading something by him and that book was suggested to me by a Catholic friend of mine. He obviously disagrees with the material but said it was an interesting read.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
                Any insight on:
                Why I am Not a Christian: And Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects By Bertrand Russel
                Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
                God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens

Been meaning to pick those up, worth a buy or just head to the library?
                I have these on my pc. I could upload them to u if u want.

Why im Not a Christian is online:

http://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/whynot.html

Comment

• Comment

• Please take the time to read this first post and pray that prayer to God at the bottom of it if you haven't yet.

Comment

• Please read this first post.

Comment

Working...
                      X