No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 2 Remake made by a fan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
    The dated inventory system has gotta go, too. Being unable to change weapons on the fly might've been fine for gaming in the mid and late 90s, but it's 2014 FFS, and this guy's just lifted the horrible inventory system from RE Code Veronica.
    I disagree. It'll be the inventory system which will make it truly feel like an RE game. REs weren't shoot 'em ups, so there was never any need to constantly change weapons. If I came across a zombie, I'd usually take it out with the handgun. If I came across a hunter/licker, I'd take it out with the shotgun. It took about a second to go into the inventory and change weapons. But I suppose they could give you the option to do both - cycle through weapons in-game, and change weapons in the inventory.

Comment

As for the video itself, I'm honestly not that impressed.

RE2 was all about atmosphere and the addition of the "over the shoulder" camera setting really removes much of it's atmospheric qualities entirely. The police station didn't seem nearly as empty and eerie in that perspective as it originally did with RE2's (admittedly dated) camera system.

It just doesn't feel like a survival horror game to me at all in the supplied video. In fact, at times, it looked more like a shooting gallery to me. This is something that Capcom themselves are going to have to be aware of if they ever decide to remake any of the original RE entries - They need a new camera system that will be more useful than the original but without removing the sense of dread entirely.

Not an easy thing to do.

The dated inventory system has gotta go, too. Being unable to change weapons on the fly might've been fine for gaming in the mid and late 90s, but it's 2014 FFS, and this guy's just lifted the horrible inventory system from RE Code Veronica.

Props to him for taking the time and effort to undertake this task though, but as previously pointed out : He's an absolute fool if he thinks this game will ever get released or he'll see any profit from it whatsoever. Once Capcom finds out about this they may do as SEGA did and be like "yeah, we think it's awesome and we support the project because we love our fans."

But once it's actually a finished product they'll do just like SEGA did and threaten legal action which will result in the project never seeing the light of day.
      I'm not sure the old RE1-3 camera angle will work with today's smoother controls and graphics though.

And I honestly don't see any difference from this remake to the original RE2, if you and other old RE fans don't like this game(Fortunately the two videos have gotten nearly 4,000 like and 60 dislike), then I guess there is our answer as to why Capcom would never release a remake of RE1-3 for next gen, or go back to true survival horror. Sales, which is why they went action in the first place, because low sales and low interest in the old SH.

I think for the most part, most people are showing this project a lot of love, and if these videos become more popular and Capcom sees the praise this guy is getting, it's unlikely, but maybe they would take a RE2 remake more serious than they have been taking it for the past 15 years, which they have shown little to no interest in.

I would honestly play this remake over many other games out right now. Especially if the developer irons out all the flaws and the game is bit more complete.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        I doubt the high standard.

I worry they'll change it entirely and make it worse in attempt to appeal to shooter fans or RE4 fans.
        It took me a while to finally admit, as a huge fanboy of RE1-RE3 and never wanting to give props to RE4 and despite RE1-RE3 being classics that set a standard for SH, RE4 is Resident Evil in its prime. I think the greatest RE games are between RE Remake for GC and RE4. I never disliked RE4, I was liked the game, but I never wanted to give it too much props. I think it's a perfect mix of horror and action. The game is not perfect, it gets a little whacky in the end with the soldier ganados with the guns and rocket launchers. There are a lot things Capcom can take from RE REmake, some from RE4 first half of the game or 2/3 of the game like the sounds, settings, and some bosses and some elements of RE6(Leon's campaign).

RE5 is my guilty pleasure RE game, many old RE fans think it sucks but I enjoyed it as what it was, an RE action game that was not horror in the least bit.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          It took me a while to finally admit, as a huge fanboy of RE1-RE3 and never wanting to give props to RE4 and despite RE1-RE3 being classics that set a standard for SH, RE4 is Resident Evil in its prime. I think the greatest RE games are between RE Remake for GC and RE4. I never disliked RE4, I was liked the game, but I never wanted to give it too much props. I think it's a perfect mix of horror and action. The game is not perfect, it gets a little whacky in the end with the soldier ganados with the guns and rocket launchers. There are a lot things Capcom can take from RE REmake, some from RE4 first half of the game or 2/3 of the game like the sounds, settings, and some bosses and some elements of RE6(Leon's campaign).

RE5 is my guilty pleasure RE game, many old RE fans think it sucks but I enjoyed it as what it was, an RE action game that was not horror in the least bit.
          RE4 is an very good game, but I think REmake is better.

RE4 could have been better if the second half of the game didn't devolve the way it did. It was unbelievable, one of the best games you'll ever play, until you get to the castle. Then it becomes really lame. The island at the end is horrible.

I won't pretend I wouldn't get hyped if Capcom announced a remake of RE2, but I would be hesitant as well. I'm not sure they could do it anymore.

Comment

I'm not sure the old RE1-3 camera angle will work with today's smoother controls and graphics though.
            It wouldn't. That's why I said that they'd need to develop an entirely new camera system that maintained the original tense atmospheric qualities while, at the same time, not limiting player mobility.

A difficult task without question.

And I honestly don't see any difference from this remake to the original RE2, if you and other old RE fans don't like this game(Fortunately the two videos have gotten nearly 4,000 like and 60 dislike), then I guess there is our answer as to why Capcom would never release a remake of RE1-3 for next gen, or go back to true survival horror. Sales, which is why they went action in the first place, because low sales and low interest in the old SH.

I think for the most part, most people are showing this project a lot of love, and if these videos become more popular and Capcom sees the praise this guy is getting, it's unlikely, but maybe they would take a RE2 remake more serious than they have been taking it for the past 15 years, which they have shown little to no interest in.

I would honestly play this remake over many other games out right now. Especially if the developer irons out all the flaws and the game is bit more complete.
            Capcom has always planned on a RE2 remake. That's why they've been hinting at it for the better part of the last decade. It's not a matter of their core development team not wanting to do it, it's a matter of the overall company being piss-poor at decision making and project management.

Normally though, companies only create remakes or release HD updates on anniversaries, so I expect them to do something for it's 20th anniversary.

Now whether or not that's a good thing, I don't know...This is Capcom we're talking about here. Easily one of the top 3 **** companies in gaming over the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
              I disagree. It'll be the inventory system which will make it truly feel like an RE game. REs weren't shoot 'em ups, so there was never any need to constantly change weapons. If I came across a zombie, I'd usually take it out with the handgun. If I came across a hunter/licker, I'd take it out with the shotgun. It took about a second to go into the inventory and change weapons. But I suppose they could give you the option to do both - cycle through weapons in-game, and change weapons in the inventory.
              No, the old inventory system is not a key element of the RE games. Atmosphere was. Pacing was. The soundtrack was. Jump scares were. Being outnumbered was. Choosing flight more often than fight was. The classic inventory system is something that just makes it feel, well...old.

You can do away with that and still produce a fantastic product if a new camera system is introduced.

If anything, the old inventory system is counter-productive to the overall product because one of the key RE elements was, as I will continue to trumpet, it's atmosphere. The old inventory system takes you out of that atmosphere pretty consistently due to the fact that you need to open it constantly to change weapons, reload weapons without emptying your current clip, use your lighter, select puzzle pieces to use, check your health, check your map, combine herbs, etc...

It worked in the mid and late 90s because there was still nothing on the console market as atmospheric as RE was, so have to pause constantly was still worth the effort. But the market has changed and there are far more visceral horror games and franchises available on both the console and PC market that allow you to micro-manage on the fly without having to take yourself out of the game every other minute.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                RE4 is an very good game, but I think REmake is better.

RE4 could have been better if the second half of the game didn't devolve the way it did. It was unbelievable, one of the best games you'll ever play, until you get to the castle. Then it becomes really lame. The island at the end is horrible.

I won't pretend I wouldn't get hyped if Capcom announced a remake of RE2, but I would be hesitant as well. I'm not sure they could do it anymore.
                I enjoyed the castle part, and I enjoyed the start of the island, but after you defeat Krauser and enter that door where the helicopter helps you out, it gets very tedious.

Comment

No, the old inventory system is not a key element of the RE games. Atmosphere was. Pacing was. The soundtrack was. Jump scares were. Being outnumbered was. Choosing flight more often than fight was. The classic inventory system is something that just makes it feel, well...old.

You can do away with that and still produce a fantastic product if a new camera system is introduced.

If anything, the old inventory system is counter-productive to the overall product because one of the key RE elements was, as I will continue to trumpet, it's atmosphere. The old inventory system takes you out of that atmosphere pretty consistently due to the fact that you need to open it constantly to change weapons, reload weapons without emptying your current clip, use your lighter, select puzzle pieces to use, check your health, check your map, combine herbs, etc...

It worked in the mid and late 90s because there was still nothing on the console market as atmospheric as RE was, so have to pause constantly was still worth the effort. But the market has changed and there are far more visceral horror games and franchises available on both the console and PC market that allow you to micro-manage on the fly without having to take yourself out of the game every other minute.
                  I agree with you about reloading, but that's all. Like I said, we could have it both ways. It could be designed so that you can change weapons with 'R2' (if you're playing on Playstation - I don't know if R1 & R2 still exist on the PS4) and by going into the inventory. It would actually be advantageous at times to use the inventory to change weapons, if you were cornered and had to fight, changing weapons in game would allow your enemy to get closer to you, whilst changing weapons in the inventory would pause the game too, therefore giving you that extra moment to aim & fire, possibly preventing you from taking damage.

And you didn't need to constantly change weapons in RE. It wasn't an action game.

I completely disagree with you that the inventory would take you out of the atmosphere. We just see it differently. The RE atmosphere was always so powerful that simply pausing for a few moments to do something in the inventory did nothing to alter it (the music would still play during the inventory screen).

You could press a specific button to bring the map up, so that's not true. Where else would you go to combine herbs?? And how often did you need to use the lighter? lol

Neither is a new camera system needed. The camera system in the RE remake was the same and it still worked & felt great.

Comment

If they remake RE2 they're gonna do what happened to the MGS1 remake on Gamecube..

Comment

Wow, I would buy this game instantly. Bear in mind, it's not even complete. It looks amazing, considering a fan made it. This makes me want to learn how ot make games so that I can try to recreate games but this guy obviously has really good skills and experience. It has a RE4 style feel to it, but RE2 setting.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04...made-by-a-fan/
                      That looks really good. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                      X