Shenmue HD is Finished

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenmue HD is Finished

Shenmue HD is Finished, Claims Report
    Source claims it's coming to XBLA and PSN.

A new report is claiming that Sega has been sitting on finished HD remakes of Shenmue and Shenmue II for over a year, waiting for an apt release window.

GamerZines cites a person with "ties to Sega" as the source of this information. "Shenmue HD is real [and has been] finished for well over a year, as is Shenmue II HD," says the source.

The reason for the delay, evidently, has been uncertainty over the series' future and whether Shenmue III would ever happen (short answer: no). The HD remakes are reportedly headed to PSN and XBLA.

With Jet Set Radio heading to Xbox Live, and re-releases (not remakes) of Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5 and Crazy Taxi already widely available, it's not absolutely out of the question that Shenmue I and II might make their way to modern consoles after all. Shenmue II was remade for the original Xbox in 2002 following a Dreamcast release the previous year.

In their day, the Shenmue games were amongst the most ambitious video games ever made, featuring huge, living cities - Sega's Yakuza series is often considered their spiritual successor. If an HD remake does indeed exist, would Shenmue stand the test of time?

ign

part 3..................................ive beat part 1 and 2 so many times.lol.

Comment

That's a game I've never played that I've wanted to try. Can someone describe it? I've heard the Yakuza series was kind of a spiritual successor, does it play in a similar way?

Comment

As with any "Shenmue" news within the last decade : I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

was this game good?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            That's a game I've never played that I've wanted to try. Can someone describe it? I've heard the Yakuza series was kind of a spiritual successor, does it play in a similar way?
            "Yakuza" was definitely an homage from Sega to "Shenmue". That said, you probably wouldn't enjoy checking out either "Shenmue" or it's sequel nowadays. The games' engines have not aged well in the time since they were originally released. And this is coming from a hardcore fan of both games.

"Shenmue" was like a more PG version of "Yakuza". The combat system was similar, but there were no weapons, and there damn sure weren't any guns or swords. It was basically a very story-driven piece about the main character's quest for vengeance after his father is murdered. It blended elements from many genres, and it was either the kind of game that you either loved (like I did) or hated (like most everybody else did).

I've never heard someone say : "Shenmue? That game was alright."

It was either "I love that game" or "that game ****ing sucks".

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              "Yakuza" was definitely an homage from Sega to "Shenmue". That said, you probably wouldn't enjoy checking out either "Shenmue" or it's sequel nowadays. The games' engines have not aged well in the time since they were originally released. And this is coming from a hardcore fan of both games.

"Shenmue" was like a more PG version of "Yakuza". The combat system was similar, but there were no weapons, and there damn sure weren't any guns or swords. It was basically a very story-driven piece about the main character's quest for vengeance after his father is murdered. It blended elements from many genres, and it was either the kind of game that you either loved (like I did) or hated (like most everybody else did).

I've never heard someone say : "Shenmue? That game was alright."

It was either "I love that game" or "that game ****ing sucks".
              Shenmue barely had any combat at all from what I recall, single digit fights in the entirety of part 1. It's a very strange game, I would say I liked it, but it's almost like a simulation of living in a Japanese town with a mystery plot tacked on.

Comment

Bringer, i read Shenmue is actually a set of novels, and Ryo doesn't really handle Land Di until the 7th book, book 1 is based on Shenmue 1, book 2 was based on Shenmue 2. They did plan on keeping it going and going, but eventually production stopped. (Considering the high production costs, Shenmue experienced disappointing sales. According to IGN, the game, which cost an unprecedented $70 million to make, would have had to be purchased twice by every single Dreamcast owner in order for Sega to turn a profit.) There have been 5-6 Yakuzas since Shenmue so I know it could've happened.

Shenmue has been included in several "greatest games of all time" lists. In 2006 and 2008 it was voted at numbers 81 and 63 respectively on IGN's "Readers' Choice Top 100 Games Ever" list.[41] In 2008, it was voted number 25 on GAME's "Greatest Games of All Time" list, based on a user poll with over 100,000 votes.[42] It was also ranked at number 42 on Empire's "100 Greatest Games of All Time" list.[43]

Shenmue is regarded as a major step forward for 3D open-world gameplay, and considered the originator of the "open city" subgenre later popularized by Grand Theft Auto III in 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                  Shenmue barely had any combat at all from what I recall, single digit fights in the entirety of part 1. It's a very strange game, I would say I liked it, but it's almost like a simulation of living in a Japanese town with a mystery plot tacked on.
                  Not as much combat as the "Yakuza" series, but I definitely remember quite a bit of combat in "Shenmue". Especially the sequel. There were many times you'd just be walking down the street and people would randomly start **** with you, or a story-related cutscene would occur that would trigger a battle with enemy AI.

Shenmue > Yakuza, IMO. But I admit I'm very biased.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                    Not as much combat as the "Yakuza" series, but I definitely remember quite a bit of combat in "Shenmue". Especially the sequel. There were many times you'd just be walking down the street and people would randomly start **** with you, or a story-related cutscene would occur that would trigger a battle with enemy AI.

Shenmue > Yakuza, IMO. But I admit I'm very biased.
                    The sequel I don't know about, but the first game there was barely any. There was one street battle like you mentioned early in the game, then almost nothing until you fight the broke-ass looking old man. It was more about timed-events (pressing a button suddenly) than the actual combat as far as gameplay went.

Comment

Working...
                    X