No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    These games are expensive to make, game companies can't rely on the 1-3million fans that buy these games. They need to appeal to more fans, yes Bringer, "The ******ed people".

Watch, by Dead Space 5 if it gets to that point, Dead Space will be Survival Horror, Action, Shooter, instead of Survival Horror Shooter. It's going to experience the same thing RE is going through. Just like the reason RE had to completely change the series after RE3[which has sold 3.5Million copies worldwide], Dead Space 3 is going to have to do the same thing and make it's games more action like.
    And once again fans will crucify them for ruining another good series, and rightfully so. It will be yet another epic franchise that was ruined in pursuit of a larger audience, just like 'Devil May Cry', 'Mass Effect', and 'Resident Evil'. Sales are not (and never have been) indicative of product quality.

Furthermore, every game doesn't have to spawn a series. I fail to see the logic in the approach taken by modern devolpers that any game that they make that becomes successful needs to spawn a minimum of 3 more spinoffs. You can make one great game and sell enough units to cover production costs. I believe I mentioned 'Okami' earlier in this thread and there are many other examples of creative developers making one unique game and not beating it to death with sequels in pursuit or larger audiences and more money.

'Team Ico' have made a very lucrative career out of it and in the process gave us two of gaming's most amazing works of art, and are currently working on the third.

Comment

• One quick (and important) point I failed to touch on in your comparison of 'Dead Space' and 'Resident Evil' is that to date the original 'Dead Space' has sold just over 2 million units and the original 'Resident Evil' (PS1) has sold 2.75 million - virtually identical numbers.

Surprising, considering 'Dead Space' is a relatively new IP that has sold roughly the same amount of units as something like 'Resident Evil' has - A franchise that's been around since 1996, and whose success is based on the sales of that original PS1 title.

So I fail to see the argument that 'Dead Space' isn't selling enough to be considered a success when RE has sold an almost identical amount and was successful enough to spawn 20 (yes, 20) sequels across 4 separate series, not counting mobile games and what? 4 movies?

Comment

• That's why I said Dead Space 1 and 2 is like RE1 and RE2. It's going through the same success, same phase, they RE went through in it's baby stages. Getting praised, selling a couple million copies, but that's where it stops.

While Action/Horror titles like RE4, RE5, and most likely RE6[when it's all said and done] have sold 7million[RE4], 5.8million[RE5], and who knows how much RE6 will sell, the only thing I've read about it is that Capcom has shipped 4.5Million copies worldwide and i'm guessing every single copy will sell, or is close to selling out already.

Dead Space 3+ will implement more action in its series, and guess what, sales will most likely double. It's loyal fans will complain but still buy it, and it will gain new fans.

And you're right, how much a game sells doesn't make it a quality game or a whack game. I'm saying, Capcom and other game creators find it expensive to make these games and market them, so they need the games to sell a lot, you don't do that with a your "loyal" fanbase of 3 million, you have to reach out the the ******s like you call them. You know Resident Evil is like the darling of Capcom, it's one of it's oldest running series, they spend a ton of money on making these games. They want to make a profit, by making the games more playable by making them more "fun". It's unfortunately a business first, but i'm not going to act like I don't enjoy these new RE Horror/Action games. Let's hope that Capcom just takes us back to RE4 type game style at least, for RE7[which there will definitely be one].

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          That's why I said Dead Space 1 and 2 is like RE1 and RE2. It's going through the same success, same phase, they RE went through in it's baby stages. Getting praised, selling a couple million copies, but that's where it stops.

While Action/Horror titles like RE4, RE5, and most likely RE6[when it's all said and done] have sold 7million[RE4], 5.8million[RE5], and who knows how much RE6 will sell, the only thing I've read about it is that Capcom has shipped 4.5Million copies worldwide and i'm guessing every single copy will sell, or is close to selling out already.

Dead Space 3+ will implement more action in its series, and guess what, sales will most likely double. It's loyal fans will complain but still buy it, and it will gain new fans.

And you're right, how much a game sells doesn't make it a quality game or a whack game. I'm saying, Capcom and other game creators find it expensive to make these games and market them, so they need the games to sell a lot, you don't do that with a your "loyal" fanbase of 3 million, you have to reach out the the ******s like you call them. You know Resident Evil is like the darling of Capcom, it's one of it's oldest running series, they spend a ton of money on making these games. They want to make a profit, by making the games more playable by making them more "fun". It's unfortunately a business first, but i'm not going to act like I don't enjoy these new RE Horror/Action games. Let's hope that Capcom just takes us back to RE4 type game style at least, for RE7[which there will definitely be one].
          I get that it's a business and profit comes first, but my point is that there's a huge difference in adding some action elements and completely changing the series entirely.

'Resident Evil 4' was the first in the series to put as much emphasis on action sequences and quick time events as it did on elements of horror, but it still had those horror elements. That's why that game was so successful and beloved by fans - Capcom didn't go overboard with the action to the point where the game was utterly unrecognizable. It was definitely a change in pace and gameplay mechanics, but it still felt like a 'Resident Evil' game. Whereas part 6 feels nothing like one whatsoever.

It's okay if you want to introduce new gameplay elements (I'm all for developer freedom) but there's only so much inspiration you can take from other action titles and add it to your successful franchise before you end up with a product that is a radical departure from your previous outings.

I think I'd have higher hopes for part 7 if it weren't Capcom we're talking about here. Whoever is in charge over there seems hellbent on destroying iconic franchise after iconic franchise and have been ruining series for years. They strike me nowadays as a much more innovative and creative developer/publisher when they're working on new IPs, as opposed to long-running franchises.

Have you played 6 yet? Post up some thoughts when you do, I'd love to read your take on it.

Comment

• I bought RE6 on the 3rd in the night after I came out from class, but my busy sched hasn't allowed me to play it until now. I played Leon and got it to the part of the Subway, I just came out of the subway and i'm around the turnstyles part where the zombie with the fire extinguisher is just standing. Not far in to the game at all, but i'm dying of sleep.

I can only talk about Leon since that's the only one I got to play tonight. I thought it was awesome and didn't feel anything different from RE4 honestly, it just feels like RE4 continued with better graphics. I like how you can now rely more on the physical attacks like kicks and I like the new "Bulldog" wrestling move that Leon does, I thought that was funny. It's good to know that your secret service agent can now actually throw a few decent kicks, like he should be able to do. I think a guy of his stature and his position in the government should be able to know how to fight, and not just know how to shoot. So I like that RE6 finally made Leon's fighting moves playable anytime in the game instead of physical attacks just being occasional moves.

I know even Leon's part gets more action as the game goes on, but so far i've enjoyed his part. I was even fighting sleep just to get a few more minutes of gameplay. I kept telling myself "Okay, next save, i'm turning this off" then just kept playing and playing, so that's a good thing. I'll see if I can get some Chris and Jake action tomorrow.

If i'm really looking for something bad so far, I would say I hate that the game actually allows the option of infinite ammo straight away without even having to unlock it. I think it's only for amateurs or something, I don't know, but that shouldn't be allowed even for beginners.

Now let's hear your take on it, whoever you've played with.

Comment

• Fair enough. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't played much of Leon's campaign at all, but from what I did play I can say it's the closest any of the four campaigns come to feeling like a RE game to me. I spent most of my time playing Chris' scenario and made it through to the conclusion of chapter 2, but never felt compelled to take it any further. I watched my brother play some of Jake's scenario but we both came to the conclusion that Jake's campaign sucks the hardest, so he switched back to Leon's for a bit.

All in all I've spent about 6 hours both playing and watching, but that was a few days ago at my brother's house and he lives about an hour away so I haven't had any more time with it, nor do I want any, honestly.

It's just too much action and not enough horror for me. I'm actually going to pick up Dead Space 2 shortly since I've not played it and hopefully get my horror fix there.

Comment

• One thing i found annoying in Leon's scenario was the tripping over zombies while running. Did you have that problem a lot? I kept stumbling over bodies I could barely even see on the floor. Sometimes they'd rise up and reanimate, other times they'd just lay there, but I was terrible at spotting them and felt like a real d*ckface for stumbling over them so much. Didn't look like something a seasoned special agent like Leon should be doing.

Comment

• Kev, Leon's Chapter 1 is ridiculously long..

I find myself constantly pressing pause to check/get on my iPhone.. atleast with Chris's so far. Haven t tried Jakes, I'm beating it in a weird order, purposely. Some of the character alternate costumes are ******ed af, like Leon's Pirate outfit WTFGETSRS.

Comment

• Of course I trip a lot. I thought it was only me, man I was laughing at myself. I would hear Helena do some noise like she got hit or something, then I turn around to see she just tripped over a zombie. I think that's something RE6 made way too realistic, to the point were it fails. At least make the characters automatically jump over the dead body, instead of tripping over them all the time. It had me laughing a "WTF" laugh every time it happened.

Ether, out of all the negatives the game has gotten from reviews, one positive RE6 seems to be praised for it's is length. I heard it's a very long game. And don't tell me you already beat the damn game?

Comment

• Okay now I see infinite ammo option only allows you to use infinite ammo for the game, but not actual weapons. You first have to beat all 4 campaigns and then buy infinite ammo for each weapon.

That does not explain why I had 0 bullets and my gun kept shooting, when I tried out infinite ammo.

Comment

Working...
                      X