No announcement yet.

Biggest moment at EVO2k11...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest moment at EVO2k11...

For the uninformed, EVOlution is the world's largest fighting game tournament held in Las Vegas every year around July-August. Competitors from Japan, China, Korea, Europe, the Caribbean, and other places fly in to test their skills and compete for thousands of dollars. The games this year included Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Blazblue: Continuum Shift, Tekken 6, and...I can't remember the other one.

The point is, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition is considered by many the "main event". In other words, it's the most watched game at the tournament and the ones with the most participants (thousands competing).

Daigo Umehara, one of the most internationally renowned Street Fighter players, goes up against Poongko (a Korean) in a match to determine who will go on to losers' bracket. The first one to win 2 matches wins the set and continues through winners' bracket.

In what it is probably the biggest upset at this year's EVO, Daigo is destroyed in embarrassing fashion. Great video with crowd reaction...

Poongko is the one in white showboating for the crowd and Daigo is the one sitting in the chair. Daigo uses Yun and Poongko uses Seth.

Daigo would go on to place 4th place while Poongko placed in 3rd place.

Most hyped moment was PR Balrog's reset against Viscant. 2nd I'd do poongko vs Daigo. 3rd I would say was JWong's comback with akuma in both games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt E Gomez View Post
      Most hyped moment was PR Balrog's reset against Viscant. 2nd I'd do poongko vs Daigo. 3rd I would say was JWong's comback with akuma in both games.
      I didn't wanna' say it (because I'm Puerto Rican) but yes...to ME, THAT was THE moment for me, for my brother, and for everybody watching it over here.

I've actually met the guy waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he became known as PR Rog, back in 2005 when it was MvC2 and Tekken 5R at the arcades.

To see him place 2nd at Marvel and reset the bracket...man, was that epic.

"POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTOOOOOOOOOOOO RICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! PORTO RICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

That Tron grab was like a fighter getting banged against the ropes on the verge of being inevitably TKO'd and then suddenly landing a miraculous shot that separated the other from his senses. Just wow...

1:04...and the crowd reaction when the grab occurred, it speaks for itself...

Comment

Haha, my boy Samson was there. He just left Germany and is now in Missouri, he's a very good player. I saw some of the pics he posted up of the tournament, looked crazy!

Comment

Working...
        X