Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 Just died need to make a decision

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on how many ps2 titles you play, considering that they have released GOW I & II on the ps3. Can't help you with the GTA SA, I got a xbox 360 and they have san andreas on xbox live, so i'm good with that.

Comment

I bought a 60GB PS3 in November 07, it stopped reading Blu-ray discs on July 27th, 2008 (I remember because it was after Cotto-Margarito). I sent it to be fixed. It came back fixed, and then I was happy from August 08 to April 2010, when it recently stopped working. I'm now considering three options:

#1: Buy a blu-ray lens and have someone install it.

#2: Send it to Sony for a replacement.

#3: Ditch the fatboy and buy a slim model. The thing that bothers me about this is that I have a huge PS2 collection. I still have my PS2 around, but meh.

I've NEVER gotten the yellow light of death, the PS3 just stops reading discs completely. Same problem's happened to my brother-in-law. System boots up, runs demos and installed games, but it doesn't read discs. It's annoying. You'd think that a $300 system would give you a quality but...I dunno. Jeez. And I was considering buying Super Street Fighter 4.

Comment

buy the bd drive if your not on warranty, its cheaper.....

Comment

damn homie... that sucks.... i bought my ps3 last year... and it sucks that i cant play my old ps2 games on that *****... no ur in the same ****.. if i were i i'd just get the slim....

btw i never ever ever ever purshed a Blueray Movie lol... am i missin out?
          i got a 720P HD tho :/

Comment

I'm going to buy the 2007 slimline PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by ??? View Post
              If you have a PS2 memory card that has all the save files for the games, get a PS3 Slim and with the money saved buy a new PS2 Slim depending on how much they cost.
              £39.99 with the Buzz game.

Comment

My ps3 broke aswell 2 weeks ago because of the "ylod" so now im just tryna weigh up my options on what to do, but i don't really know what to do yet whether trying to fix it my self or paying sony for a refurbished on ?

Comment

This just happened to me with my launch PS3 about a month ago when I was playing Dragon Age Origins. I also had the 60gig PS3 where you could play PS2 games. The main reason I didn't want to get rid of it was, not just that it played PS2 games, but the way it upscaled PS2 games. The PS3 just made PS2 games look so much better on my HDTV than playing on the standard PS2 did.

What I decided to do was keep my original PS3 but went ahead and bought a Slim PS3 so I could finish Dragon Age and now Red Dead Redemption. When I get the extra cash, I'm going to send my original PS3 back to Sony for the $149 and get that fixed. I plan on putting the Slim in my living room (because I watch a bunch of movies and TV shows on it) and then put the original back in my bedroom.

However, if you only need one, you really have to decide how much you plan on playing PS2 games. If you have a lot of backlogged PS2 games, then definitely fix the original. I own about 80+ PS2 games so having that backwards compatibility is huge for me. However, if you don't have that many, I would go with the Slim PS3 as they use up less energy, produce less heat, and to me at least, play PS3 games a lot better.

So, I guess what I'm saying, if you own a PS2 still and only have 3 or 4 games you play, then just spring for the new Slim model. But if you own a lot of PS2 games you want to finish playing, nothing beats up-scaling them with the original PS3s. I feel your pain as I had to struggle with this decision too.
                  Last edited by Curry Storm; 05-19-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post
                    My launch date PS3 just died.

Sony said they would replace it.

However I have to make a decision.

They will replace it with either the same model PS3 I have now for $149 + SH or a New Slim Model for $119+ SH.

The only drawback for me getting the slim PS3 is that it doesn't play PS2 game and I still play GTA San Andreas, NFSMW, God of War 1 and 2 and a bunch of other PS2 games regularly.

Also they won't back up my Hard Drives and I can't do it either because my PS3 won't even boot up to the main start up screen.

So what should I get/do?

Green K for helpful advice
                    Just do whatever suits you. What a waste of time reading that was.

Comment

I decided to exchange it for the slim. i shipped my broken system out on Friday. Hopefully I get it back soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X