Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why AJ vs Fury is more lucrative than Mayweather vs Pacman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whether it makes more money or not Fury AJ are in their prime fighting for all the HW belts it's a much bigger more historic fight than over the hill Floyd v over the hill injured pacman

Comment

i think if this fight happen it will be a very total success if the ppv can reach 1.5m but will not exceed 2m.

Comment

Originally posted by KingGilgamesh View Post
        I'm actually leaning on the fight potentially being a flop. Not an out and out flop, it can easily do at least 1.8m+ buys but I mean in terms of how much of an effect it has on the global boxing landscape and how much revenue it generates outside the UK.

Firstly, Fury (whilst clearly the most talented guy in the division) is too inconsistent and will likely need another performance before jumping in for the big one. Who will this be? Is it Wilder? If so then a future undisputed could be an even bigger money spinner having drawn even more American eyes by beating an American fighter emphatically.

If not? Then it will likely be another one of Fury's bumfight's against guys like Pienetta, Wallin or Schwarz. If he blows them out of there it may turn off those who continually question Fury's commitment to competitive fights (which I think is a tad unfair, Fury's record is not THAT bad and having Wilder, Wlad, Hammer and Chisora..twice in some cases is hardly anything to be ashamed of), if not, then it may make the undisputed fight look more competitive. And Joshua? Joshua is damaged goods. People don't really know it yet, but his last PPV did about 600k buys. LONG from the days he was doing 1.2-1.6 million against the likes of Takam. The two Wilder/Fury fights and the loss to Ruiz did a lot of damage to those who seem him as competitive. The UK diehards will no doubt tune in (they'll happily watch Joshua fight a can of sardines) but to anyone in the States, he's simply not deemed the "true" champion. If he had fought a couple times in LV had a string of solid wins over some PBC guys there/Wilder then this would have likely have been a far bigger affair over there.

It all depends though, when looking at the last undisputed heavyweight fight back in 1999, both Tyson and Lewis had a warm-up fight in September against some C-level opponents. Holyfield had also lost three times prior, but those names were Michael Moorer and Riddick Bowe. Hardly also rans. He had also come off of defeats over Moorer, and ATG's Tyson and Foreman. Lewis also had already lost to McCall but had already won a rematch and had some solid names on his record as well.

I think the greatest issue is how competitive the fight is deemed. Today's heavyweight landscape is far, far weaker than it was in the 90s and I'm not sure if that will play into general interest.
        Where did you hear the made up ppv nUmbers vs pulev? I thought it was confirmed at 850k in uk which given the increased prices, lesser known opponent and pandemic situation (people with less spare money) is a pretty good return. I mean would wilder, fury or any other heavyweight achieved 500k ppv sales against pulev? Versus takam by the way he made 887k for comparison, so not over 1.2 you suggested. He has done those numbers vs klitschko (1.5), Parker (1.4), povetkin (1.1)and Ruiz 2 (1.6)

Your clear bias is just silly when you on one hand claim fury’s resume isn’t that bad but then dismiss joshuas record because he hasn’t fought enough pbc fighters? I mean fury has beaten wilder, klitschoo, chisora and hammer. Joshua has beaten klitschko, Parker, povetkin, takam, pulev, brezeale, whyte and Ruiz. On top of that we know wilder and Ortiz have turned down fight opportunities and to be honest we all expect him to still fight both in the future.

When you say the heavyweights weaker than the 90.s, what your really saying is that Americans aren’t top of the pile so refuse to believe the possibility others ,synergy better. That is just naive.
        Last edited by Kezzer; 01-22-2021, 11:31 PM.

Comment

It's not

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
            Couldn't give a flying ****e about how the money lands.

I'm a boxing fan and, if it gets made, it's a bigger fight than Mayweather v Pacquiao.

2 best heavyweights. All the belts. In their primes.

Doesn't happen very often.
            I agree. Mayweather Pac was hyped for what? 6 years? Crazy. Nobody is their same self 6 years later, let alone in boxing. It was already too late and obviously Pac's KO loss to Marquez didn't help. He was a shell of what we wanted to see in 2009-2010 if they fought.

Here as you said, 2 in their prime at the top of their game for all the HEAVYWEIGHT marbles. It really is huge. I honestly don't care if all of America is watching or not. As a fight fan, this is one of the biggest fights and I'll treat it so.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
              I agree. Mayweather Pac was hyped for what? 6 years? Crazy. Nobody is their same self 6 years later, let alone in boxing. It was already too late and obviously Pac's KO loss to Marquez didn't help. He was a shell of what we wanted to see in 2009-2010 if they fought.

Here as you said, 2 in their prime at the top of their game for all the HEAVYWEIGHT marbles. It really is huge. I honestly don't care if all of America is watching or not. As a fight fan, this is one of the biggest fights and I'll treat it so.
              It will take a lot to capture the casuals like Manny Floyd did, no doubt it will be big but whether it can draw in the numbers of Manny Floyd will be interesting.

I wish Manny had of just said no problems Im a clean fighter I will take the extra Ped testing its nothing instead of all his squirming and double talk surrounding the testing.

Comment

Neither AJ nor Fury has the credentials May or Pac had.

They are not top sellers now
                If May comes back tomorrow, his 1st check will dwarf everything AJ and Fury made up to this point combined.

May and Pac were the best of the sport.
                AJ and Fury are thriving in what is possibly the worst era of HW boxing.

The hype is solely due to nationalism. Nothing else.

Comment

Pac vs Floyd made the world stop that Saturday.... People who don't even like boxing was talking about it or going to a fight party.

People don't even know who Joshua or Fury is

Comment

Originally posted by Gandhi View Post
                    American sports fans/media have created this fallacy & narrative that you’ve to a big name in America or American sports to be mega rich. However, when you look at the numbers, the highest earners in sports neither play American sports nor are big names in the US. Evidently, it shows the money isn’t really in the US & if you can navigate properly across the globe...that’s where the money is.

AJ & Fury don’t really need the US to break Mayweather vs Pacquaio record. Site fee, sponsors, U.K. PPV & international TV rights should get them there. And if the fight ends up doing well in the US, it’d be a bonus for them. But they don’t need the US.
                    Depends on the PPV fee too, I guess it’s a £24.99 event in the UK, $49.99 USA.

Predict it will do globally about 2m buys

Comment

Nah

It would take 3 fights to even get close to May-Pac money

May-Pac was one of those truly global events. Mayweather was a huge name in the US and Pacquiao had quite a global appeal

Fury-Joshua is definitely a household event in the UK but just another good boxing fight to everyone else

Comment

Working...
                      X