Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Talk is Cheap, But it Doesn't Mean Boxing Can't Be Cured

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Talk is Cheap, But it Doesn't Mean Boxing Can't Be Cured

Whaddya know? It's that time of year again. Even in a pandemic. Hope will soon spring eternal at National Football League training camps. Short-term pretenders are being revealed by bona fide contenders on major-league baseball diamonds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Lyle wrote a good ass article there. Damn good, not enough people back the bodies, not enough people blame the fighters themselves, and almost no one recognizes boxing before bodies was pretty damn ****ty.

I wonder, does anyone know why there is no path to undisputed? Similar to mandatories but it's uni's being forced.

Maybe something like 3 successful defenses forces a Uni. That's not even hard for the boxers or bodies to plan for.

I know the WBC spoke about their "premier" league a few years back but we still don't have any path to undisputed so must be nothing came of that.

The fact that undisputed only happens when the boxers' teams themselves work out a deal with one another is a structural flaw.

Comment

I think the articles wrong in alot of way's. It presumes no fighter's in the modern era want to prove they're the best against the best, just fighting a rabbit every 18 months ��
      The ufc model works, 1 name 1 face 1 title. The best fighting the best. Only unlike the ufc model have the ppv shared with the fighter's & not have all the money go to wealthy investor's in the brand.
      & no more pathetic car dealer promoter's that are only necessary because boxing is no longer a sport. Think about it, mandatories shouldn't even exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sayithowitisuk View Post
        I think the articles wrong in alot of way's. It presumes no fighter's in the modern era want to prove they're the best against the best, just fighting a rabbit every 18 months ��
        The ufc model works, 1 name 1 face 1 title. The best fighting the best. Only unlike the ufc model have the ppv shared with the fighter's & not have all the money go to wealthy investor's in the brand.
        & no more pathetic car dealer promoter's that are only necessary because boxing is no longer a sport. Think about it, mandatories shouldn't even exist.
        Personally i believe for the sake of the sport all contenders should be sat down & told we're having undesputed. Then u then u then u get your shot. No contracts, no marrinating. Sport!

But the way thing's stand hypejobs gotta beat Pulev then Usyk first. Personally i hope Usyk out boxes Hearns cash cow.
        We should have had undesputed in 18 & i don't care any more, he said she said. In my eye's Aj ducked Wilder & undesputed when on a sky tv interview with Johnny Nelson in 18 he said "i won't be rushed into the Wilder fight" when asked when he said"19 20 21"Hearn then said 2020.Hearn then said "maybe he'll loose by then"
        That's disrespecting the division the sport & all the fan's.
        There have been exactly 0 undisputed HW MMA champions, and, it doesn't look like there ever will be.

Boxing has sport wide world champions. MMA has promotion wide world champions.

Boxing is more like a democracy in that everyone has to sit down and agree to terms. That's why we have mandos, ranks, etc. Because like democracies no one ever agrees in boxing and are forced by the authority to play by certain rules. Bodies are like congress or parliament.

MMA is more like medieval europe. A bunch of kingdoms with clear cut kings. The UFC is the biggest kingdom, they don't have to make deals with their fighters, no other promotion ever has to agree with them, and their rankings are whatever they say they are.

Boxing, like democracy, doesn't take over smaller authorities as the larger grows but rather shares burden with the smaller authorities. Like how America allows Puerto Rico to run Puerto Rico, The WBC allows the EBU to run Europe for them.

MMA, like kingdoms, simply takes over and at first puts up pretenses like it will preserve the smaller kingdom's banner but after the dust is well settled the smaller kingdom just becoming incorporated and their warriors fly UFC logos.

There are pros and cons, but, if undisputed is something you like MMA doesn't have that. They have undisputed promotional champions. Like when the UFC HW champ fights the UFC Interim HW champ the winner is the undisputed UFC HW champ, but not the undisputed MMA HW champ.

Even when they bought Pride, WEC, Strike Force etc they didn't push any kind of unification then reign. They unify then defunct the non-UFC title at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          Lyle wrote a good ass article there. Damn good, not enough people back the bodies, not enough people blame the fighters themselves, and almost no one recognizes boxing before bodies was pretty damn ****ty.

I wonder, does anyone know why there is no path to undisputed? Similar to mandatories but it's uni's being forced.

Maybe something like 3 successful defenses forces a Uni. That's not even hard for the boxers or bodies to plan for.

I know the WBC spoke about their "premier" league a few years back but we still don't have any path to undisputed so must be nothing came of that.

The fact that undisputed only happens when the boxers' teams themselves work out a deal with one another is a structural flaw.
          Then how come we got so many great fighters and great fights before the alphabets, then?

Look at how many great fighters guys like Willie Pep, Sugar RAy Robinson, Joe Louis, and even a guy like Harry Greb fought.

Guys used to fight each other 4, 5, 6 times often in thrilling rivalries.

Now, we're lucky to get a trilogy.

I haven't seen any proof that we get better fights more often in the era of alphabet trinkets than we did before.

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
            Then how come we got so many great fighters and great fights before the alphabets, then?

Look at how many great fighters guys like Willie Pep, Sugar RAy Robinson, Joe Louis, and even a guy like Harry Greb fought.

Guys used to fight each other 4, 5, 6 times often in thrilling rivalries.

Now, we're lucky to get a trilogy.

I haven't seen any proof that we get better fights more often in the era of alphabet trinkets than we did before.
            Maybe I use the wrong definition? Your chronology seems wrong to me. The champions pre-sanctioning body are pre-Johnson as Jack Johnson is the first sanctioned champion. By the IBU, now EBU.

I'm not sure we disagree yet so much as use different terms.

edit- Of course I meant first sanctioned HW champ

Comment

Maybe I use the wrong definition? Your chronology seems wrong to me. The champions pre-sanctioning body are pre-Johnson as Jack Johnson is the first sanctioned champion. By the IBU, now EBU.

I'm not sure we disagree yet so much as use different terms.

edit- Of course I meant first sanctioned HW champ
              Ohhhh.

I thought you meant WBC/IBF/WBO/IBO. The sanctioning bodies of the past 40/50 years.

My bad.
              Last edited by The D3vil; 08-19-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

There have been exactly 0 undisputed HW MMA champions, and, it doesn't look like there ever will be.

Boxing is more like a democracy in that everyone has to sit down and agree to terms. That's why we have mandos, ranks, etc. Because like democracies no one ever agrees in boxing and are forced by the authority to play by certain rules. Bodies are like congress or parliament.

MMA is more like medieval europe. A bunch of kingdoms with clear cut kings. The UFC is the biggest kingdom, they don't have to make deals with their fighters, no other promotion ever has to agree with them, and their rankings are whatever they say they are.

Boxing, like democracy, doesn't take over smaller authorities as the larger grows but rather shares burden with the smaller authorities. Like how America allows Puerto Rico to run Puerto Rico, The WBC allows the EBU to run Europe for them.

MMA, like kingdoms, simply takes over and at first puts up pretenses like it will preserve the smaller kingdom's banner but after the dust is well settled the smaller kingdom just becoming incorporated and their warriors fly UFC logos.

There are pros and cons, but, if undisputed is something you like MMA doesn't have that. They have undisputed promotional champions. Like when the UFC HW champ fights the UFC Interim HW champ the winner is the undisputed UFC HW champ, but not the undisputed MMA HW champ.

Even when they bought Pride, WEC, Strike Force etc they didn't push any kind of unification then reign. They unify then defunct the non-UFC title at best.
                Finally I have numerous times, described boxing as the last real working class/blue collar sport 'And it is run as a democracy universally'.

The day boxing attempts to become the UFC 'That is the day boxing will destroy itself' over night it will become extremely marginalized.

The UFC is extremely elitist, and it is not at all inclusive. 'Boxing is a a sport born out of democracy, and it is all inclusive' etc
                Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 08-19-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Yet still after your little rant 1 thing is clear & i say this as a boxing fan first. Ufc is taking over.
                  Remember the number 1 boxer on the planet Canelo had to sit & wait & watch the bmf ufc fight. Because he was the B-side.
                  yes there are other mma bodies, but fighter's work they're way up through them to the golden goose ufc for that cheddar.
                  Fight island has been getting 1.3 million ppv buys. What's boxing been getting 🤔

Comment

The reality is no fighter can fight the best continuum, there must be in between fights to lengthen their careers and make maximum dollars over their career, the so called greatest ever SRR beat a truck load of cans and one could easily condense his career into a 30-60 fight modern era champ, and when you do its the same as them all, a few big names they hang their hat off and the rest B grade and less, if you got 10 elite level fighters that were in good form on youre resume you did real well.

Comment

Working...
                    X