Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Reenters Boxing Ring, Developing Six-Part Series 'Unruly' On Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
    You just got in first about him being an inventor though I did credit you. Adjustable wrench wasn't it?
    Timing can be a pain in the ass sometimes

Yup, adjustable wrench:

https://archive.org/details/jjs-wrench

Comment

Great to see HBO back! Get the band back together!

Comment

Outstanding news! I knew someone would do it in light of the current movement against white supremacy but did not think that HBO would be the one to do it.
        I wonder if HBO senses the demise of Dazn USA and thinking of getting back into the boxing business?

Comment

Jack Johnson did it his way, regardless of the times and his skin color.

Nothing but respect for his defiance.

Comment

I remember listening to a historian speak of the rise and decline of boxing thru the years. He spoke of what triggered more attention to the sport of boxing and one thing he mentioned was the movie ROCKY having a big effect on people viewing more fights who normally would not have. I thought it was odd but he detailed all effects of boxing thru the beginning of media. Point ? If it takes off there will be some more boxing fans looking at boxing possibly. Always good to think that boxing can get more exposure and fans back into it. They seem to have the right people working on the project see if it is good Perfect for HBO to be doing it. Glad it was wrote up.

Comment

I wonder if they will mention President *****'s pardon of Jack Johnson, or leave it out because it doesn't fit their ******* F.(@)GG0t race narrative.

---
              Presidential pardon
              There have been recurring proposals to grant Johnson a posthumous presidential pardon. A bill requesting President George W. Bush to pardon Johnson in 2008 passed the House,[74] but failed to pass in the Senate.[75] In April 2009, Senator John McCain, along with Representative Peter King, film maker Ken Burns and Johnson's great-niece, Linda Haywood, requested a presidential pardon for Johnson from President Barack *****.[76] In July of that year, Congress passed a resolution calling on President ***** to issue a pardon.[77] In 2016, another petition for Johnson's pardon was issued by McCain, King, Senator Harry Reid and Congressman Gregory Meeks to President *****, marking the 70th anniversary since the boxer's death.[78] This time citing a provision of the Every Student Succeeds Act, signed by the president in December 2015, in which Congress expressed that this boxing great should receive a posthumous pardon, and a vote by the United States Commission on Civil Rights passed unanimously a week earlier in June 2016 to "right this century-old wrong."[79]

Mike Tyson, Harry Reid and John McCain lent their support to the campaign, starting a Change.org petition asking President ***** to posthumously pardon the world's first African-American boxing champion of his racially motivated 1913 felony conviction.[80]

After various attempts from WBC former president,
              Jose Sulaiman, who reached out to different presidential administrations dating back to Ronald Reagan, President Donald ***** announced in April 2018, that he was considering a full pardon of Johnson after speaking with a World Boxing Council committee, along with Sylvester Stallone (actor). [81] ***** pardoned Johnson on May 24, 2018, 105 years after his conviction during a ceremony which included special guests Mauricio Sulaiman (WBC President), Hector Sulaiman (President of the Board of Advisors of Scholas Occurrentes), Sylvester Stallone (actor), Deontay Wilder (WBC Champion at the moment) and Lennox Lewis (WBC Former Champion). [7][82]

Comment

Originally posted by 57Blues View Post
                I remember listening to a historian speak of the rise and decline of boxing thru the years. He spoke of what triggered more attention to the sport of boxing and one thing he mentioned was the movie ROCKY having a big effect on people viewing more fights who normally would not have. I thought it was odd but he detailed all effects of boxing thru the beginning of media. Point ? If it takes off there will be some more boxing fans looking at boxing possibly. Always good to think that boxing can get more exposure and fans back into it. They seem to have the right people working on the project see if it is good Perfect for HBO to be doing it. Glad it was wrote up.
                It's because of the Rocky effect Stallone is in the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                  Looking forward to that, Jack Johnson gave historically few fücks about what society thought of him. He lived his life the way he wanted and he was a pioneer inside and outside if the ring.
                  Looking forward to it as well. HBO should deliver fantastic production as always.

Comment

I'll definitely watch this, even if it doesn't really get into anything not already known to boxing fans, it will be in terestingt to see how it pans out over six parts.
                    It would be cool if this was a way for HBO to gauge how much interest there is in boxing themed content in hopes of re-entering the boxing world for real.

Comment

Network failing. Had a niche in boxing. Losing viewers by the buckets. Explained ,to your satisfaction?

Comment

Working...
                      X